SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

P013A - I got initiated!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 05:12 PM

P013A - I got initiated!

Well I cleaned up the SS and was going to a Vintage Truck Jamboree about an hour away . Just got out of town and the check engine light came on-Crap- So I turned around and went to Advance Auto to get codes read.

It came up P013A- Oxygen sensor slow response- rich to lean -bank 1-sensor 2. I got him to clear the codes and came back home and searched on here. Basically I learned with my catless downpipe (I don't know if it has angled bungs for sensors) sometimes it throws the code.

What I would like is for someone to translate to common language what could be wrong.

Do I need a new sensor? Looks to me it's accessible from under the car. Or do I get a code clearer and deal with it. BTW What is a good Code Reader to get?

Anyway, I got almost there and the light reappeared! Any help is welcome...john
Old 06-21-2014, 06:19 PM
Technical Moderator

Probably need a new sensor. accessible from underneath borrow the tool from Advance/Zone/O'reilly. DO NOT get a Bosch sensor!!!!!!! Be sure to torque the new one down correctly with the supplied goo on the threads.

What it means is that the response time between the #1 sensor and the #2 sensor is not up to spec. How long has the non-stock pipe been on the car?

But then it could be the tune.

You've gone way out of stock parameters.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:36 PM

donbrew, Thanks so much for the reply. As far as I know the down pipe has been on it for a few years. I did get the original pipe with both cats with the car.

The Trifecta tune has a way to turn it off with the cruise control button. When I got the CEL turned off, I turned off the tune and drove it about an hour before the light came back on.

So, I assume that sensor 2, means the furthest one down the pipe is the one I need? Looks like I have another project for tomorrow. Thanks again...john
Old 06-21-2014, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

Code reader.
If you have a smart phone, you could just get an app and a wireless OBD reader.
About $25-30 for both.

I use the Torque app on my Samsung Galaxy S3. Works fine on my SS and I've also tried it on my 98 Dodge truck and the wife's Hyundai.
The wife had a CEL on and it identified her MAF sensor problem.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:22 PM
Technical Moderator

#2 is the "after cat" one, sometimes called downstream, post cat, cat monitor.

I have no idea whatsoever if you use the stock part in your setup or not.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Code reader.
If you have a smart phone, you could just get an app and a wireless OBD reader.
About $25-30 for both.

I use the Torque app on my Samsung Galaxy S3. Works fine on my SS and I've also tried it on my 98 Dodge truck and the wife's Hyundai.
The wife had a CEL on and it identified her MAF sensor problem.
firemangeorge, no smartphone here- just a stupid flip phone! I never even learned to take pics with it. I guess I'm one that doesn't like change. I'm off to Auto Zoo to get a sensor and maybe a obd II scan code tool...john
Old 06-22-2014, 11:52 AM

Update, Called Ad and Az , both only had the Bosch sensor so I bought a Denso sensor on line from Adv auto got 15% off the stores price and it will be here in a couple of days just like the store. Also I bought a Actron CP 9575 from Ebay .

I ran the SS up on the rhino ramps and checked out the location of the sensor. Easy to get to. Can't say the same about the plug. It's got a harness about a foot or so long and goes up where you can't see it or hardly reach it. I guess GM put it there to protect it from the elements. And I washed and dried it, too! ...john
Old 06-22-2014, 05:46 PM
Technical Moderator

You need very agile fingers on one hand to do the connector. It has a plug to deat on yhe engine block, if you can get it loose. I just broke it, the zip tied the wire so it would not lay on the exhaust pipe.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:31 PM

I have skinny fingers, just can't see . I let ya know how it turns out...john
Old 06-22-2014, 07:41 PM
Technical Moderator

My keyboard makes things up, I hope you figured out what that meant.

Quick Reply: P013A - I got initiated!