SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Sputtering??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 07:26 PM

Sputtering??

My 2010 just started doing this weird sputtering thing. I had some surging at higher speed and fixed the wiring for my tmap sensors like every one says but still does this weird no gas pedal thing. If I let the clutch out slow and just let it idle away, then hit the gas, the car bucks and sputters. Sometimed if I let the RPM go lower (not stalling or anything) I can hit the gas pedal and nothing happens. If I rev the engine off idle with the car not in gear the engine revs up and down normally. Any ideas??
Old 05-31-2011, 09:31 AM

3 days and no replies? If you have the GMTU then I'd suggest bringing it to the dealer since you have warranty coverage. Bucking and hesitation can be anything from a tank of bad gas (remember you can ONLY use 93 octane once you have the GMTU done!), to a possibly bad fuel pump or bad injectors. I'd rule out a faulty fuel pump since your car's new-ish. Try filling it with 93 octane gas from a different gas station + see if that cures the problem. If it doesn't again, I'd suggest a trip to the dealer. BTW are there any CEL'S coming up?

Later
Allex
Old 05-31-2011, 09:37 AM
Premium Member

Mine was hesitating in reverse only bought better gas and it stopped (Arco sucks).
Old 05-31-2011, 10:58 AM

what kind of spark plugs are you using? anything but ngk or ac delco are crap. gap btw .32 and .34 if tuned. Use a scanner and check for codes, there might not be a cel set but it still may store the code, that possibly indicate a misfire on one or more cylinders, if it is multiple, its prob plugs, if it is only one cylinder, swap the coil packs around to see if there is a bad coil pack. Then just go from there. Bad gas could be the prob too...i've had that happen and once it cycled through everything was ok
Old 05-31-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by ATLsilverSS
what kind of spark plugs are you using? anything but ngk or ac delco are crap. gap btw .32 and .34 if tuned. Use a scanner and check for codes, there might not be a cel set but it still may store the code, that possibly indicate a misfire on one or more cylinders, if it is multiple, its prob plugs, if it is only one cylinder, swap the coil packs around to see if there is a bad coil pack. Then just go from there. Bad gas could be the prob too...i've had that happen and once it cycled through everything was ok
That's why I suggested a tank of 93 first before going to the dealership. I had a similar situation happen last week where I lost just about all boost for no reason on my way home from work. I took it to the dealer and they found the soft code (P0236) but nothing mechanically wrong, car was boosting 20+ psi without a hiccup or misfire. The tech and I attributed the mishap to a possible tank of bad gas. I filled up with 93 (always do anyway), threw in some fuel injector cleaner and knock on wood, no repeats yet.

Later
Allex
Old 05-31-2011, 02:26 PM
Banned

mine did it when i had a hole in the cold side pipe
Old 05-31-2011, 06:19 PM

Went to the dealer today and pulled codes. Code for MAF sensor stored. Service manager was cool and ignored the fact I have an intake. He said they will warranty this one but if it happens again, it's on me. Sputter is gone. Just figured out on my way home that only boosting to 7 -8 psi in first. All other gears ok. AAARRRGGGHHH!! Going back to dealer tommorrow I guess.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:47 AM

Dear BoostBox,

Thank you for sharing your situation with us. I look forward to reading any new updates that you would like to provide us.

I hope that you have a great day!

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-01-2011, 07:11 PM

So the dealer had it all day. Then they call me and say that 7 psi in first is normal. huh? funny. It boosted more in first gear last week? It boosted more than 7psi in first gear the day I bought it bone stock? It boosted more than 7 psi with a bad MAF sensor? I said that the condition was not normal. They still have my car and will investigate further.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:17 PM

Seems GasMan was running into the same issue......

Wonder if they changed programming without letting anyone know about it and are playing the "It's always been that way" game.

Quick Reply: Sputtering??