SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

SS Lower ball joint replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Ok, so the previous owner was responsible for the stamped steel LCA’s .
The only source I know for sure for the correct ball joints for the FE5 HHR SS is the complete LCA from your GM parts counter. Nobody makes aftermarket ball joints for it, not Moog, not TRW, or NAPA or anybody else, I’ve searched the Internet, spoke to my parts guys and gals, and confirmed.This statement from our sites common part number thread is accurate

Lower Control Arm - SS models ONLY (FE5 suspension)
IMPORTANT: they are only available thru GM - No after-market suppliers make a compatible part at this time, even though they may say the parts they have are for all HHR's
- GM - P/N: 25930724 - Right
- GM - P/N: 25930725 - Left
(note: Do NOT substitute a FE1 or FE3 LCA - the ball joint stub on them is 20MM and is not compatible with the spindle on a FE5/SS which is 20.5MM)
Old 09-25-2017, 02:47 PM

Yes, the above is all true and is still valid.

I had hoped that, given the years in circulation, that something may have changed and the ball joint had become available as a individual part or a jobber, but no such luck. Seems to be a proprietary part for Chevrolet.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Correct, it is .
Old 09-25-2017, 04:27 PM
Technical Moderator

You will be wasting your money on an alignment!!!!!!!!

Thing about it; what will they be aligning? .5 mm play in the ball joint in all directiopns. Any shop that will attempt it is totally irresponsible, and just taking money for nothing.

I won't even get into the danger involved with diving that way. Or the excessive tire wear.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

Makes me wonder.
Some company makes the FE5 ball joint. I mean, they have to make (or made) them separate before they install them on the LCA.
Did they only make the same number of FE5 ball joints as LCA's ? No, since all the HHR's use the same cast aluminum LCA.
Do they no longer make them and all the ones made were installed in LCA's ?

Just wondering which company it is or was.
Or I've got too much time on my hands.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:03 PM
Administrator

You Styx fan you! I believe it the bean counters, as only so many SS’s were built, most are babied low mileage beauty’s. So not many sales of aftermarket parts!
I’m just annoyed so many companies can’t get it straight! Even the Cobalt SC TC guys are scratching their heads.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:28 PM

Is it any wonder he's not crazy?
Old 09-25-2017, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Getting funky now!

Old 09-26-2017, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
You will be wasting your money on an alignment!!!!!!!!

Thing about it; what will they be aligning? .5 mm play in the ball joint in all directiopns. Any shop that will attempt it is totally irresponsible, and just taking money for nothing.

I won't even get into the danger involved with diving that way. Or the excessive tire wear.
I mean getting a alignment done now that the proper LCAs are installed. No control over what a previous owner did, so if you don't know, you're driving blind. Had there not been this clunking noise I probably would have never even looked at the LCAs to realize they where the wrong ones.

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Makes me wonder.
Some company makes the FE5 ball joint. I mean, they have to make (or made) them separate before they install them on the LCA.
Did they only make the same number of FE5 ball joints as LCA's ? No, since all the HHR's use the same cast aluminum LCA.
Do they no longer make them and all the ones made were installed in LCA's ?

Just wondering which company it is or was.
Or I've got too much time on my hands.
Thats how I started on this whole adventure, and is what I've been saying, who makes these ball joints, Chev has to be getting them from somewhere so they can rivet them on those complete LCA assemblies. Unless they only made so many complete replacements and when they are gone, thats it. If that day comes maybe by then someone will have a jobber replacement of the ball joint itself.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:14 PM
Technical Moderator

I tried looking sideways at the problem. I found that the steering knuckle is the same as the Cobalt SS; which would mean that the LCA for the Cobalt SS should "fit" but is stamped steel.15803767 is the RH. That is listed as FE5 Cobalt only.

Moog will not admit that HHR SS exists, They do have some parts listed as FE1 w/SS?!?

I can't seem to find an old fashioned "match up the numbers" sheet for ball joints.

Quick Reply: SS Lower ball joint replacement