SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Timing Chain Jumped Tooth

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 10:12 PM

I have 2008 HHR SS with turbo 2.0 with VVT and 175,000 miles with no start and checked codes and got P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor. Looked up the codes and decided it might be time to look at timing chain due to some noise on cold starts. I guess I should have replaced the cam tensioner when I first read about the startup noise.

After removing front cover, there was the left side cam guide in pieces. Finding top dead center, and making sure crank key is at 12 and the timing mark is at 5, the exhaust cam position is at 12 o'clock when the intake is at 2. The exhaust should be at 10 per the manual.

The engine turns over smoothly so I am hoping there is no internal damage.

My question is can I rotate the exhaust cam to the correct location without damaging anything after removing the timing chain?

Just a coincidence that the original timing chain colored links came up fairly close to where they should be.

Last edited by Oldblue; 01-06-2018 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Housekeeping
Old 01-06-2018, 06:33 AM

Suggestion, replace all the chains, guides and water pump while you're in there. Before you reassemble get a compression reading from all cylinders to see if you've bent any valves. You may have gotten lucky.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:39 AM
Administrator

You can turn the camshaft to line up the teeth, be gentle now!
And X2 about both chains, all guides and the water pump, and install one of these

Even Dorman has these now
https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-86802-917-954.aspx
Old 01-06-2018, 09:21 AM
Technical Moderator

DO NOT turn the crankshaft Counter-Clockwise.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
DO NOT turn the crankshaft Counter-Clockwise.
That too
Old 01-06-2018, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by DrLoch
That too
Is the camshaft directional or can I turn it counter clockwise

Originally Posted by 1ksprint
Also would it be better to take off top dead center and lower the pistons on each cylinder to prevent valve piston contact

Last edited by Oldblue; 01-06-2018 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Housekeeping
Old 01-06-2018, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Just gently move the exhaust cam in the direction to line up the timing marks.
Just be gentle and don’t go trying to Crank it a full turn .
Old 01-06-2018, 01:56 PM

The engine turns over smoothly so I am hoping there is no internal damage.

My question is can I rotate the exhaust cam to the correct location without damaging anything after removing the timing chain?

Also would it be better to take off top dead center and lower the pistons on each cylinder to prevent valve piston contact
Since you've already been turning it(unless you mean by hand, not cranking), if it were far enough off to cause damage, it would already be damaged.

Moving it off TDC, there are valves open at any given time.

Don't beat yourself up for not changing the tensioner. Your engine should have come with the new style, and even if you had put a new one in, it would have done nothing to save the guide.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Leave the crank shaft as you say it is positioned in you first post. As you stated it’s correctly in place at 5 o’clock for the timing mark.
You stated the intake cam is at 2 o’clock, leave it there.
Gently move the exhaust cam until its mark is at 10 o’clock, even if that means counter clockwise.

Never ever move the crankshaft CCW as this will allow the tensioner to compress and can cause the timing chain to skip a tooth or two.

If you haven’t ordered any chain kits yet Cloyes offers a great kit for the balance shaft/ waterpump chain includes guides, tensioner and new oil spigot.
They also have a timing chain kit, includes new tensioner and chain but no cam sprockets, you have VVT so you won’t need to change them.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Leave the crank shaft as you say it is positioned in you first post. As you stated it’s correctly in place at 5 o’clock for the timing mark.
You stated the intake cam is at 2 o’clock, leave it there.
Gently move the exhaust cam until its mark is at 10 o’clock, even if that means counter clockwise.

Never ever move the crankshaft CCW as this will allow the tensioner to compress and can cause the timing chain to skip a tooth or two.

If you haven’t ordered any chain kits yet Cloyes offers a great kit for the balance shaft/ waterpump chain includes guides, tensioner and new oil spigot.
They also have a timing chain kit, includes new tensioner and chain but no cam sprockets, you have VVT so you won’t need to change them.
Thanks after pulling the block plug to access the guide bolt, which is not there, I guess I will be removing the oil pan if I can’t sneak it out with a magnet. I used my borescope and don’t see any valve marks on the tops of the pistons. Once almost back together I will check compression and if there is a problem this HHR might become my project for installing small block v8.

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Jumped Tooth