SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Turbo has bad seals????? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Nazgul 9

Angry Turbo has bad seals????? HELP!!!

So I was having trouble with losing boost .. off and on I had the MAF sensor replaced .. didn't fix it So I took it to a shop that works on turbos and after having it a day and a half the guy calls me and tells me the seals are bad on the turbo I have oil in the turbo and in the inter-cooler... has anyone heard of this and if so does the whole turbo need to be replaced or can just the seals be fixed?....

Thanks all ....

Old 12-06-2012, 06:34 PM

Vince one word.... UPGRADE! BNR is rated at 360. 20G is rated 450. also under bnrsupercars.com you can get just the impeller replaced for around 750 also rated at 360.

anything bigger will require a bov. like the 20g. that's what im getting, and tuning it back to 400.

if you rebuild it bnr is the way to go. also, turbo mechanics will tell you its busted for that big ticket purchase. i don't know about oil in ic.... it has to pass through the exhaust manifold to get there. you would think it would burn up.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Nazgul 9

Ok I like that idea but if I put a bigger turbo on it then I have to do a bigger inter cooler... and with that much added power isnt that putting to much of a strain on the stock internals of the engine?

Old 12-07-2012, 11:07 AM

Make sure its not the usual amount of oil in there because of the pcv systems...others have reported oil in the system throughtout the intake system..some hae gone to catch cans..
Old 12-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Nazgul 9

I am not sure I understand what you mean... usual amount of oil in where?

Old 12-07-2012, 11:45 PM

Residual oil, not puddles.
Try this,
Driving 30-40 mph, get up to 5-10 psi boost and see if car can maintain that pressure wit the same amount of throttle being applied the whole time. If pressure drops ~5 psi, then turbo is problematic. Also check compressor wheel for abnormal play vertically and horizontally.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:54 PM

I see you have auto tranny which may affect results of the test I described above, so I would ask for others with auto tranny to try the test as well and report findings here...
I do know that this test is accurate for 5-sp manual trans.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:13 AM

Crankcase ventilation system...a few people here have mentioned that when they went into the intake system they found oil....since the engine is turbo, pressurized, theres always blowby,,it has to go somewhere, factory has this vapor routed back into the intake system to be burned..same as any car but more pronounced ones you start pressurizing things..a catch can(aftermarket) is used to seperate the oil from the air to keep the oil from diluting the fuel mixture. If the mechanic is not familiar with the car he may mistake this condition for leaking seals...this may show up in the exhaust and/or spark plugs if the seals are actually leaking...but then he is a turbo guy, soo..just saying.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Nazgul 9

This is the picture he sent me...
Attached Images  

Old 12-08-2012, 10:46 AM

Wowza. That looks like a lot of oil. Why not take car to dealership? They usually don't look for tune unless they have to do extensive engine work. Turbo replacement is a 3 hr job according to gm which I wouldn't consider extensive.

Quick Reply: Turbo has bad seals????? HELP!!!