Supporting Vendors Promotions, specials, and group purchases by authorized Supporting Vendors ONLY

Turbo Tech Racing Releases Rear Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 09:52 PM

It fit under the existing bar that runs through the cross piece on the LT/LS, but is still in that cross piece. No interference.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
if that is how the bars fits, as I thought, then it will not fit the SS, because of the rear sway bar already in place, and actually there is no need for it with our suspensions. I just don't understand why Aaron would not explain that from the get-go and why he said SS owners have purchased the bar
They have purchase them and installed them, they fit and will be an improvemnt. The cobalt SS/TC guys also installed them, including my self :)
Old 07-12-2008, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
They have purchase them and installed them, they fit and will be an improvemnt. The cobalt SS/TC guys also installed them, including my self :)
Are you saying that this bar install's with the factory rear bar on the SS for a total of two rear sway bars?

Any confirmation from an SS owner that's installed this rear bar? I would also like to hear comments concerning the benefits on an SS.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
Are you saying that this bar install's with the factory rear bar on the SS for a total of two rear sway bars?

Any confirmation from an SS owner that's installed this rear bar? I would also like to hear comments concerning the benefits on an SS.
Yes ALL cobalts and HHR have a stock "rear torsion" bar, this is an additional full sway bar to help.

SS owners do also have this, they just need to post their comments also. We have a SS/TC cobalt with one on it :)
Old 07-12-2008, 05:01 PM

It would seem to me that if the rear is "made" less to roll that you are gonna be introducing a "push" in the front end or maybe a lack of rotation in the frame......all other things being left as is. I'm guessing that some added negative camber to the front end and/or slightly higher spring rates in the front end would/could solve this. Just my unprofessional $0.02 worth.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:03 PM

Yea.....I know.....What the fudge is he talkin' about! Thought I'd add that and save a few of ya'll the trouble.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:27 PM

A while back on the Power Tour I was pushing my HHR in some twisties and didn't get any push, although it felt like if it did it might be due to tires not the bar. Last week I was playing with it and was exceeding the tire's limits a bit and the front did not push as might be expected. I came around one curve way past the posted speed for that curve and just got both ends to drift slightly, but evenly. It felt solid. I have a fairly stiff rear on my 54 Chevy and can make that one come around with very little power, so in comparison I have the HHR set up where I feel comfortable with my wife driving it daily knowing she's not going to get into trouble with it, even in an emergency maneuver.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:58 AM

Yes ALL cobalts and HHR have a stock "rear torsion" bar, this is an additional full sway bar to help.

SS owners do also have this, they just need to post their comments also. We have a SS/TC cobalt with one on it :)
Ok, this is my last post on this thread, I don't want to sound like a D***, but I know that all of the above have the "rear torsion bar", as this is a design & part of the suspension when being built, someone correct me if I am wrong, but the SS has the rear sway bar stock from the factory that is attached under (inside )of the rear torsion bar, attaching from 1 side-to-the-other-side. IMO, if you add this sway bar to the existing SS suspension, I feel that it will create an unsafe balance to what we alreay have. Unless you remove the stock sway bar and replace it with this unit.
Now, as I stated before, my SSR did not come from the factory with a rear sway bar, but had a p....... bar (can't remember the proper name ) that was mounted on a slant from one side to the other. I did add ADDCO sway bars, both front and rear which really increased the handling quite a bit.
The G5 I trade in on the SS was a base model w/15" wheels and without a sway bar it handled better than some of the C3 Vettes I have owned. And of course that vehicle has a lower center of gravity than the HHR SS.
The point I am making is that I feel we are not get the correct answer that we are looking for, I want to hear from an SS owner who has purchased this bar, see it installed, and get their feedback on the increased handling abilities, it that really to much to ask???? We seem like we cannnot get a straight answer here, and if someone proves I am wrong in my asssumptions, then I stand to be corrected. thanks for reading
Old 07-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
Ok, this is my last post on this thread, I don't want to sound like a D***, but I know that all of the above have the "rear torsion bar", as this is a design & part of the suspension when being built, someone correct me if I am wrong, but the SS has the rear sway bar stock from the factory that is attached under (inside )of the rear torsion bar, attaching from 1 side-to-the-other-side. IMO, if you add this sway bar to the existing SS suspension, I feel that it will create an unsafe balance to what we alreay have. Unless you remove the stock sway bar and replace it with this unit.
Now, as I stated before, my SSR did not come from the factory with a rear sway bar, but had a p....... bar (can't remember the proper name ) that was mounted on a slant from one side to the other. I did add ADDCO sway bars, both front and rear which really increased the handling quite a bit.
The G5 I trade in on the SS was a base model w/15" wheels and without a sway bar it handled better than some of the C3 Vettes I have owned. And of course that vehicle has a lower center of gravity than the HHR SS.
The point I am making is that I feel we are not get the correct answer that we are looking for, I want to hear from an SS owner who has purchased this bar, see it installed, and get their feedback on the increased handling abilities, it that really to much to ask???? We seem like we cannnot get a straight answer here, and if someone proves I am wrong in my asssumptions, then I stand to be corrected. thanks for reading

We are still waiting for one of the HHR SS owners that have the sway bar to post.

You must remember the Cobalt SS/TC (Turbocharged) is the same suspension setup as the HHR has. The HHR SS DOES NOT have a full "sway bar" from the factory, like the one we manufacture. Look under your HHR SS you will not see one....

We will wait for other HHR SS owners that have actually purchased one to express their thoughts.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:00 PM

We are still waiting for one of the HHR SS owners that have the sway bar to post.

You must remember the Cobalt SS/TC (Turbocharged) is the same suspension setup as the HHR has. The HHR SS DOES NOT have a full "sway bar" from the factory, like the one we manufacture. Look under your HHR SS you will not see one....

We will wait for other HHR SS owners that have actually purchased one to express their thoughts.
ok so I am posting again, and believe me, I will be a buyer if it indeed works for our favor, but a sway bar is a sway bar. And I do understand that it is not the configuration that your bar is, and I do like the way your bar is made, and how it attaches to the suspension, but if we are adding another sway bar to one that already is in place, how much of a difference if any, will we realize? All of the info for the SS states both front & rear sway bars (can't remember the sizes) but I think that the thickness is very close, if not the same diameter as the one you sell. I am not trying to "break them" for you, I am sure the other SS owners here will agree, that we want to make sure it works with our suspension in a safe and beneficial way, simply stated.

Quick Reply: Turbo Tech Racing Releases Rear Sway Bar