Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Everything you ever want to know about Whitewalls for your HHR

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:06 PM

Everything you ever want to know about Whitewalls for your HHR

If you're not interested in Whitewall Tires then you won't want to read this...

After countless hours of researching whitewall tires this past week, here is the skinny:

White wall tires come in ALL sizes and types, including tube and tubeless.

Some are the old bias-ply style tires and many are steel belted radials.

Diamond Back, American Classic, Coker, Firestone, BF Goodrich Silvertown (only for pre-1976 cars) & US Royal make or re-market white wall tires.

Diamond Back, American Classic & Coker make white walls that fit the HHR.

Diamond Back can take just about any tire and turn it into a white wall with a unique vulcanization process (see: http://www.dbtires.com/howtiresmade.html) that literally makes the white wall part of the tire; once its vulcanized onto the tire, it's there for good. They also sell a line of Whitewall tires. http://www.dbtires.com/tires.html

Discount Wide Whitewall Tires www.widewhitetires.com/ has someof if not the best prices for American Classic Whitewall tires. American Classic tires have a UTQG (Uniform Tire Quality Grading) of Treadwear 540, Wet Traction B, Temperature B. (I was looking for an AA rated tire.)

All the American Classic Whitewall tires that fit the HHR have a 1.5" whitewall. The whitewall on their tires are molding into the tire. My research yielded an interesting fact, and that is, just about every radial whitewall tire that fits the HHR will have a 1.5" whitewall. But...

Diamond Back has a 215/60-16 that has a 2" whitewall with a 540 A A UTQG rating.

Why all the info above? Well IMHO I think the one thing that really makes an HHR "Retro" is retro style wheels and whitewall tires.

It takes the HHR back to a bygone era...
Name:  B2AOD00Z.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  27.8 KB
Name:  1952-chevrolet-convertible-4.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  37.2 KB

Just look at the HHR's Gran-daddy:
Name:  suburban.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  18.7 KB
Old 01-30-2010, 01:18 AM

I'm honored to be shown in such awesome company! What an informative post too, and one I'll be watching with interest. I know this look is not everyone's cup of tea, but it sure called to me back in '06. I'm very happy to say that they have been holding out really well too, although I am just a local type driver.

Great post!
Old 05-01-2010, 01:05 AM
Former Sponsor

White Wall Tires

I totally agree that if you are going to be retro you have to have retro white wall tires. I will have to check these tires out because I am ready for some new tires now and could not find any www tires. Most people thing www means world wide web but I think it means wide white wall. Thanks for your help. Jack
Old 05-01-2010, 12:54 PM

Funny that this post surfaced now. I had to replace the original tires on my car (I got 63,000 miles on them!) and looked for white wall tires. I couldn't find them. I don't see any cars on the road with them anymore. I finally settled for black walls, but it just doesn't seem right. Thanks for the info. When it's time to replace these new tires, I will just look harder!
Old 08-13-2010, 04:32 PM

I purchased my '07 RED panel back in June and just put on Diamond Back whitewalls on Wheels Vintique Solid wheels Powder coated matching RED with Baby Moons, and the look is outstanding. I'm gettin' lots of THUMBS UP!
Old 08-13-2010, 04:37 PM

Please Please post pics of your panel with the www's !!!
Old 08-24-2010, 07:19 PM

Question How do I post pics?

I have 2 photos of my HHR with whitewalls. How can I post the pics for you to see?
Old 11-20-2010, 12:29 PM

Love the white walls & steelies... my baby...

Old 11-21-2010, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by HHRinNYC
I have 2 photos of my HHR with whitewalls. How can I post the pics for you to see?
Do you have a website where you can host photos? I use photobucket.com for all of mine. Once you find a place to hold your uploaded photos, then you can just post a link here and people will be able to see them.

This link, IMG]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff184/mitzkity/HHR/WileysWellAZ-fs.jpg[/IMG would ordinarily show a photo, but it's missing a bracket on each end. Just right-click on the picture to see how it should look.

Once I paste it in correctly, you'll see the image,
Old 12-03-2010, 02:07 PM

Check out the Wheel Vintiques on my '08. Just click on my gallery.

Quick Reply: Everything you ever want to know about Whitewalls for your HHR