Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

got black 5-star steelies for winter, have a few Q's (nuts, caps, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 01:28 PM

got black 5-star steelies for winter, have a few Q's (nuts, caps, etc)

I just acquired some black 16"x6.5" 5-star steelies for use as winter wheels. GM gave me 4 new black chrome wheels last summer because some were starting to peel, so I want to keep them out of the snow/salt. I like the look of this 5-star steel wheel without hubcaps, although I did receive some (painted red) hubcaps. Anyhow, I have a few Q's:

Lugnuts. I need to get some lugnuts and could use recommendations of part #s and specs for getting the right ones. I have Autozone, Advanced, NAPA, PepBoys, Farm & Fleet, and I think a Murrays, in my area. From what I can tell by looking at pics online, the studs are going to stick out a bit. Stock lugnuts for use with hubcaps are 2 peices? Are there longer single piece nuts that will cover the whole stud?

Center caps. I haven't found reference to any cheap/easy options...

Lugnut covers. Just when I was thinking a center cap with (faux?) blades sticking out would look badass I came across these: http://www.iowa80.com/DirectionsWEB/...+1+7%2F8"+HIGH https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/members/lunchbox-13958/ I realize I won't be able to actually shred tires in a fit of road rage, but I wonder how durable these are and how well they stay attached. When people bump them are they going to fall off?

Wheel Trim Rings. As much as I hate adding stick on chrome to things I think these wheels might look really good with them...
Old 12-07-2009, 01:34 PM

Just say no........
Old 12-07-2009, 01:46 PM

Kinda tacky yeah... but might look like it adds purpose to the lugnuts sticking out so damn far?

BTW one of my links was bad, I saw them in this thread along with pics of how far the studs/lugs stick out with steelies
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/appearance-modifications-discussions-6/steelie-caps-23977/
Old 12-07-2009, 06:09 PM

One of the guys in our local car club made center caps out of the top caps you use on top of fence posts you would use on chain link fences. He polished and clear coated them and they looked great with the stainless trim rings. These were on the LS steel wheels but hole size should be the same.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Former Sponsor

i think those spikes ur lookin at are for are for bigrigs..the center cap(inside hex) fits snuggly over a much larger nut..i have them on my rigs..as long as you got a few replacements handy they are great..fly off if u hit large pot holes(on a largecar anyway)they do stick out a ways so you have to be carefull around tight spots or ul snap em off..very brittle when cold..salt eats the "plasichrome" if u live in an area like that..if u want sum really cool stud covers..try here...http://www.bigrigchromeshop.com/
Old 12-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Former Sponsor

just a thought..maybe an old skool spinner nut modded for the center like the old vettes...
Old 12-22-2009, 11:54 AM

update

I had my 225/60R16 snow tires mounted to transform my Fall Edition into a Winter Warrior. These 5 spoke steelies look cool in a rat rod kinda way. A few coats of Zaino helped too, everyone was asking if I had repainted them.

My original lugnuts work just fine. I don't know why I was thinking they wouldn't. Some pics in the thread I linked to above even show the same kind. With the rounded ends I don't know how well these lugnuts will accomodate those spiked nut caps.. I don't know if I really want them either... Some kind of center cap would be nice