Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Left front wheel keeps coming loose

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by kornellred
Just a note: Applying too much torque to lug nuts can stretch the studs. In all probability, "tightening the hell out of them" is way, way past 100 lb./ft., depending upon how strong you are. And if a technician used an air impact wrench somewhere along the line, you should replace the studs just as a precaution.
X2 This is more common than you think
Old 05-24-2009, 09:34 AM

Determine the cause and get it fixed immediately... this is a potentially fatal problem.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't wait the two weeks, get it solved BEFORE you let your daughter use it.....JMHO
Old 05-24-2009, 10:05 AM

Having had this issue on a trailer once I can tell you the results of not fixing it can be frightening.

Check the threads to make sure they are clean and dry. Wash them off with some brake cleaner to make sure there is no lubricant on them for some reason.

Check the nuts to make sure they are the correct ones with the correct seat angle to the wheel. Lay the wheel down and just put the nut in the seat and make sure the angle is correct.

Last if all of this checks out I would replace both the studs and the nuts on that hub because something has obviously damaged them.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by AJochum
Last month GM replaced all of my smoked chrome wheels under warranty. I previously mentioned that the wheel was never tightened by the mechanic that installed them - left front. It apprears he did tighten it, but it loosens up on its own.

Now, every time I drive about 400 miles the left wheel gets loose all by itself. I have to retork the lugs constantly and it is really becoming a safety issue.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? This all happened after the new wheels were installed, and only to the left front one. Could I have a defective wheel? Why would it loosen itself?
Another theory - are the studs "bottoming out" on the blind end of the nuts when tightened?

Try this. Torque the nuts to about half the specified values. Unscrew one nut, carefully counting the turns to get it off the stud. Repeat that in reverse until you get a consistent result - like 12-1/4 turns.

Mark that stud and nut. Take the wheel off. Screw that same nut back on the same stud and count the turns to "bottom out" the nut.

If the result is the same, you have the answer. It should take more turns to "bottom out" the nut.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:45 PM

Thanks Marzipan - good idea - I will check.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:17 PM

I'm not sure how that could be happening. Are the new wheels thinner?? Most wheel studs are threaded all the way to the splines that hold them in the hub anyway so it would be hard to bottom the nut on the end of the thread.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:20 AM

Its not the nut bottoming on the spline (head) end of the stud Marzipan is talking about. The nut is a cap nut, so it could be bottoming (topping?) out inside the nut.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:47 AM

Sorry didn't think about it being a cap nut. But again how would that happen?? The new wheels are thinner??
Old 05-26-2009, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by 09 Panel
Sorry didn't think about it being a cap nut. But again how would that happen?? The new wheels are thinner??
Yes "09 Panel", I see your point. If the wheel were thinner and/or the chamfers of the wheel holes (where the nut snugs into) were deeper I could be right. Otherwise I made a long shot.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:07 AM

Also overtorquing them can stretch the studs.

Quick Reply: Left front wheel keeps coming loose