Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Michelin Pilots installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 10:13 AM

Tire update...

Today...ice...freezing rain...slippery roads...Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S Tires...FLAWLESS, absolutely FLAWLESS.

YES, I highly recommend them. Two Thumbs Up!!

Peace,

MWG2
Old 02-13-2008, 10:40 AM
jx3

Why not just update your original thread about the tires? It would prevent everyone from asking details and show how long you've had them on.

Maybe a Mod merge?
Old 02-13-2008, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by jx3
Maybe a Mod merge?
Done Glad to hear these are working out for you.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:31 PM

Thank you Hillsdale for moving the post.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by m0rie
I just put a set of Goodyear Assurance TripleTred on my 06 LT yesterday.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nSpeedRating=S

They are not on the list that was posted at the top of the thread but they compare pretty favorably with the Michelin Pilots. Certainly felt nicer on the way home last night. Pitched it around in the corners and it was noticeably more planted than the worn stockers. FYI the stock tires had 32k mi on them.
Hey, I'm thinking of going Assurance TripleTred as well. How have they been working out? Road noise any more or less than stock? Handling?
Just curious since you have had them a while and now know their characteristics.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:04 AM

Different size?

MWG2, You said the sidewall on the new rubber is taller than the stockers. What is the diameter difference and did you upsize? Did anyone else here use a taller size? Great Info! Great Thread!
Old 07-08-2008, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Harpozep
Hey, I'm thinking of going Assurance TripleTred as well. How have they been working out? Road noise any more or less than stock? Handling?
Just curious since you have had them a while and now know their characteristics.
I just had these installed on my car about a month ago. Haven't had much except some rain around here. So far I am pleased but the real test will come this winter when I have to drive in ice and snow. The Firehawks were downright scary! I will post again when I get a few more miles (and seasons) on them.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Harpozep

I've got about 9k miles on them now and i'm pretty pleased so far. They show
minimal wear (as they should for being a 80k rated tire) and stick to the road a heck of a lot better than the stockers did. They have a smidge more road noise but the increased performance more than makes up for it. The thing that strikes me most about them is the wet weather performance. If you drive behind them when there is water on the ground its incredible how much water they channel away. Those aquashoots work pretty well it seems. Handled the hail and ice we've had a couple of times since they were put on pretty well. I haven't gone and played in the snow yet but thats not really the HHR's forte anyways (at least with big 17's).
Old 07-08-2008, 01:27 PM

Couple comments....... Usually, a tire rated to do a zillion miles is a very hard tire. This generally hurts ride and traction. I have always driven more h.p. than I need and I like the cheap tires that are not rated for many miles. These softer and cheaper tires need to be replaced more often but so what? They give a softer ride and are generally better for dragracing and cornering. Sure, there are expensive new tires that do it all, but cheap has some pluses many younger drivers might not think of.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by m0rie
I've got about 9k miles on them now and i'm pretty pleased so far. They show
minimal wear (as they should for being a 80k rated tire) and stick to the road a heck of a lot better than the stockers did. They have a smidge more road noise but the increased performance more than makes up for it. The thing that strikes me most about them is the wet weather performance. If you drive behind them when there is water on the ground its incredible how much water they channel away. Those aquashoots work pretty well it seems. Handled the hail and ice we've had a couple of times since they were put on pretty well. I haven't gone and played in the snow yet but thats not really the HHR's forte anyways (at least with big 17's).
Thanks.
I was looking at some today, but the tire place was a bit crazy at $229.00 each. I'll shop around or get the Yoko Avids. The Comfort treds seems nice as well, but I really want the wet handling AND quietness. I find the HHR noisy as it is. I've been in noisier tough.

Most reports have the Assurance Triple treds wearing out by 50K or sooner. The extra hard compound 80- K tires may be out there, but it seems from the comments on the 'net that the ATT's are not in that category even though they claim to be. Perhaps on some cars 80 K can be done?

Anyway, good luck on the for the long haul. The sound like winners, though weak in snow like most all-seasons are.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilots installed