Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Next purchase: Wheels and Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:31 AM

Next purchase: Wheels and Tires

I just have a question for you guys running 18"s...

I am looking at a wheel purchase very soon but my concern is suspension and looks. The only suspension mod I have made is adding Colbalt SS rear springs to level it off. My question is, what kind of wheel gap am I looking at if I buy 18s? I really don't want to drop the vehicle much more and I feel like I would be smarter just to move up to 17's and call it good. Any of your opinions would be very helpful.
Thanks.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:59 AM
geg

Tyres with low profile - beautiful. But there are drawbacks.
1. Cost more;
2. demands to the ground - hit the wheel on the curb or ditch damage metal wheels with high probability.
Take a decision based on the above.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by geg
Tyres with low profile - beautiful. But there are drawbacks.
1. Cost more;
2. demands to the ground - hit the wheel on the curb or ditch damage metal wheels with high probability.
Take a decision based on the above.
Thats why you get the type of tires that have the rim protector lip-it sticks out past the edge of the rim about a half inch or so. I never curb my wheels, but they are definitely worth the extra money... should the woman take it out.

My wheels have it, its good peace of mind.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:46 PM

17"s or 18"s really don't make much differance in the gap, you can only go so high before you start hitting things like the bottom of the strut plate. I wouldn't go taller than a 26" tire IMO. I was looking for both sizes initially and then ran across the Cobalt polished 18" with tires from someone in TN. Couple of hours on the road was well worth the trip..... As far as cost differance, the new Eagles I have on there now were not much more than a comparable tire in the original 215/55 16 I had stock.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:55 PM

I know that by using a lower profile tire with larger rims you are still staying within a percentage of wheel and tire demension of the stock 16 or 17 depending on the vehicle. Overall I don't know know what it is about a larger rim with a lowpro tire that makes it look like there is more wheel gap. Maybe an illusion since there is less black, but it generally looks less attractive without dropping the car an inch or more. Is anyone running 18s and has not dropped their car other than the leveling springs or Cobalt springs in the rear? If so, where can I see pics.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:06 PM

I think my 17's were about $75 more than my 16's for those Goodyear Eagles for the set of 4.

X2 on the 26" diameter and you can get there with 16's, 17's, or 18's depending on the tire size you get, the fender gap will be the same if the over-all diameter is the same....... Ride comfort gets harsher as the wheel size goes up. Low profile should handle better, but with the Eagles my 16's handle fantastic, Other than ride comfort I don't note a difference between the 16's and 17's.......

Looks on the other hand is a huge difference as wheel size goes up. My personal preference is more tire than wheel (16's with a big tire) and I hate those rubberband tires on big wheels...... Most guys are probably just the opposite as the big wheel thing is more "modern" looking. Eh, I'm old school.

And the damage "geg" was talking about was pothole damage more than curbrash..... Hit a pothole with 18's and bend the wheel..... a 16" would probably survive unless it was a monster.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:12 PM

I am with you on the old school look. I just came out of a Scion and ran the 'Rubber Band' tires. The appeal of the HHR for me was the fact that I could go old school. What rims are you running on yours greybeard? I really like the look of them. Nice choice.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:26 PM

I've still got my 2LT wheels (polished 17") and they are on it now. The ones in my SIG are Euromax "612" 16X7 and I only run those during the summer... chromed aluminum does not like salt. Unfortunately those are no longer available...... at least in chrome, the gray aluminum and black may still be available.

There's also a 16x7 Eagle Alloy Wheel available that looks similar.... like an old Cragar S/S. Eagle Alloy 192

Here's a place that has them listed..... tulipcitywheels -EAG-192-P-1670-5x110 Nice price too.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:48 PM
geg

sometimes I do not understand Americans.
You pay a lot for the appearance and simultaneously save every penny to motor oil - far more important component.
But this is my personal doubts, perhaps you they look silly.
I think the tires low profile does not correspond to the HHR retro style. But there is a tire with white piping. They look dressy and visually reduce the profile, rather vintage. Charm.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:05 AM

LOL..good point he has about cosmetics versus necessities...but then one saves on one to afford the other.. a trade off..... Us crazy americans!