Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

repairing 18" SS wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 08:56 PM

repairing 18" SS wheels?

ive done some searching, but i'll just ask. Has anybody repaired suface scratches or swirls in the SS rims? here is my idea......If the wheels are polished aluminum, and clear coated, they are fixable with clearcoat spraypaint. right? 1st, i sand down the wheels with 240 grit sandpaper. 2nd. clean them very good. and 3rd, apply 2-3 coats of clearcoat spraypaint. i have used spray paint before, and can spray without having paint run. does this seem logical??? thanks in advance
Old 03-08-2012, 09:25 PM

Are the scratches into the aluminum? You can see how they'll look (after clear coating) by running water over them pryor to your repair! As far as scuffing your wheels 600g max...

Best-O-Luck
Old 03-08-2012, 09:36 PM

Personally I would start out with 1200 grit, wet, and go from there. the courser the grit, the more chance of scratching the polished finish, and dulling it. "Moon"
Old 03-08-2012, 09:41 PM

I would listen to the painter guy above ..... He knows his paint .....
Old 03-09-2012, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. DLVRNIT
Are the scratches into the aluminum? You can see how they'll look (after clear coating) by running water over them pryor to your repair! As far as scuffing your wheels 600g max...

Best-O-Luck
when i wash the car and the wheels are clean and wet, they look awesome. then they dry and they look not so awesome it looks like previous owner used something to scrub them clean, maybe a wire brush. the scratches go from the center to the lip. whoever was cleaning them had no idea what they were doing for sure.
Originally Posted by moonsign
Personally I would start out with 1200 grit, wet, and go from there. the courser the grit, the more chance of scratching the polished finish, and dulling it. "Moon"
and thanks for the advice on the grit of sandpaper. because i would have messed them up pretty bad. the scratches dont look like they are terrible and improved with waxing. but with the info on here i think i'll try it out myself. maybe one wheel at a time just in case