Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Shop says all 4 wheels bent

Old 04-03-2014, 03:46 PM

Shop says all 4 wheels bent

Hey guys. I have a 2008 Chevy hhr ls. My current issue is that when I'm accelerating and hit 60 there is a slight vibration that occurs in the front. A little in the steering wheel but can also feel in seat a bit. As you increase speed it kind of levels out and almost comes and goes.
My other issue is that when I brake between the speeds of 45-65 there is pulsating and shaking. Higher or lower than that it is fine.
I took to multiple shops. Two say can't find anything. One today said front tires out of balance by an ounce and all 4 wheels were bent. It makes no sense to me. I just got a new wheel in dec on rear passenger. And then got a brand new wheel on that same rear passenger side in February.

Any ideas???
Old 04-03-2014, 04:02 PM
Banned

Well pulsating brakes to me sounds like you need new pads/rotors.

As for the bent rims, sounds like potholes have gotten the best of you. Remedy for that, probably a new set of rims, and while you're at it I would check shocks/struts and all suspension gear beyond that.. Can play havoc...
Old 04-03-2014, 04:05 PM

Welcome to the site

Is the vibration only there when you accelerate and go away when you let off the throttle?
Old 04-03-2014, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

My 1st question to you is, why have you had to replaced 2 wheels previously?
(to be sure. we are talking rims. correct?)

If the rims were damaged and needed replacing, this may point you to your current problem you're having with a vibration.

Brake pulsation sounds like a rotor problem.

You didn't state how many miles on your car. If it's a high mileage car, then I would suggest a complete inspection of all brake, suspension and steering components.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Welcome to the site.

My 1st question to you is, why have you had to replaced 2 wheels previously?
(to be sure. we are talking rims. correct?)

If the rims were damaged and needed replacing, this may point you to your current problem you're having with a vibration.

Brake pulsation sounds like a rotor problem.

You didn't state how many miles on your car. If it's a high mileage car, then I would suggest a complete inspection of all brake, suspension and steering components.
Also are YOU the only one driving the car,hope a family member/wifey/friends are not driving without care.
Some inexperienced ,and experience drivers hit every pothole like cars are tanks.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:42 PM

I have new brake pads as of a month ago. The rotors have een checked. Told they are only off/worn(?)600ths of an inch. Front tires were out of balance. 2nd time in 2 months.
Originally Posted by LawDog88
Well pulsating brakes to me sounds like you need new pads/rotors.

As for the bent rims, sounds like potholes have gotten the best of you. Remedy for that, probably a new set of rims, and while you're at it I would check shocks/struts and all suspension gear beyond that.. Can play havoc...
Old 04-03-2014, 05:43 PM

I'm the only one driving. To me if it's potholes then everyone in this city would have all four bent rims too. I drive in control. And avoid anything I can
Originally Posted by Nightwalkerhemi
Also are YOU the only one driving the car,hope a family member/wifey/friends are not driving without care.
Some inexperienced ,and experience drivers hit every pothole like cars are tanks.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:56 PM
Technical Moderator

At the risk of sounding repetitive: hubs.

What kind of wheels? Steel, Cragar, stock alloy?
Old 04-03-2014, 06:16 PM

steel wheel w/ the 18 holes around the edge.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by criddle11
I'm the only one driving. To me if it's potholes then everyone in this city would have all four bent rims too. I drive in control. And avoid anything I can
Oh didn't want to offend you at all,shops here are filled with repairs streets are crazy,worst I seen in my 40 years.
My girlfriend is about 35 years old good driver,on thing she lacks is pothole lookout,lol.I have lots of experience in pothole lookout.
Wonder if the bends in rims are clearly visible,or just their word on it,it could be just one rim doing that or broken belt in tire.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shop says all 4 wheels bent