Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Stupid tire question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 09:47 PM

Stupid tire question

So i have the michelins that come from the factory. my question is: how well do they do in snow? it doesnt look like they will do good but just looking for anybody who has used them. and hoping for decent results:P
Old 10-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Uma

Couldn't tell ya! but I am sure you will get an answer soon. I believe that most people that have to change tires for the weather do have and extra set of rims and snowbies. todd (Uma)
Old 10-19-2011, 10:05 PM

i had all season tires on the LT i traded in (two days ago) and they did well and i have the SS now. i guess i'll find out when snow flies
Old 10-19-2011, 10:31 PM
Premium Member

Ultra performance All Season is what you will be looking for unless you stay home when it snows.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:52 AM

I thought the Michelins that were original on the SS did okay in the snow. Assuming they have a good amount of tread left I'd use them. If they are anywhere near worn out though now would be a good time to replace them.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by pitbull76
I thought the Michelins that were original on the SS did okay in the snow. Assuming they have a good amount of tread left I'd use them. If they are anywhere near worn out though now would be a good time to replace them.
thank you for your help. i just dont have $300-$400 right now to drop on snow tires/wheels they are about 50% life so i think theyll be ok
Old 10-20-2011, 11:21 AM

Welcome basassbowtie. I live in Canada and use my Michelins all year round. I haven't had an issue yet. They are better than the touring edition tires on the LS and LT. I try and not drive to much if we get a major snowfall.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:26 AM

I would suspect that if it is not a snow rated tire, your going to be in trouble. I plan on buying some General Tire Snows for the winter
Old 10-20-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tyler Harvey
Welcome basassbowtie. I live in Canada and use my Michelins all year round. I haven't had an issue yet. They are better than the touring edition tires on the LS and LT. I try and not drive to much if we get a major snowfall.
my SS is also my daily driver. thats why im concernered about how well they do. typically FWD cars are ok in the snow but as we all know its about the tires. i suppose nobody is going anywhere if we get enougn snow, doesnt matter what kind of tires we have. lake effect snow is a lovely thing
Old 10-20-2011, 11:35 AM

In my experience with two different Michelin tires in the snow, they are great for the first winter you use them. Then you start to wear into the harder compound of the tire that gives the long life Michelin typically engineers the tires for. Then you start to see a dramatic drop off in winter and wet performance. Also, being low profile like the 17 and 18 inch tires that most of the HHR's have doesn't help. If your tires are 50% or below in tread depth, plan on using a lot of the traction control and ABS this winter. If you take your time and drive smart you shouldn't have a problem but definetely plan on buying new tires or snow tires next year at this time.

Quick Reply: Stupid tire question