Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Tires, national backorder....

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:28 AM

Tires, national backorder....

I called Discount Tire last week to order my new 225/45R18 Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires and got a call on Friday they were back ordered. They said it would be closer to 2 weeks to get them. I said go ahead and order them, 2 weeks was not a problem. Then they call be back and said, it would by May before I got them. :wft:. So I called a few other places and they all told me the same thing, early summertime, maybe. Damn those must be either good tires, or just popular since they are kinda new. Other sizes seems to be a little better.
Continental

So Discount matched the price on these with a set of Eagle GT's. Hope I will like these as well.

Goodyears

New shoes should go on this Friday.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:13 PM

wow, glad I got mine when I did then, since I just put DWS' on about a month ago. I needed them for a ski trip so happy I actually listened to my wife and did it early.

Hopefully the GT's workout for you. I looked at them but they seemed a bit more performance based, it was a toss up between then DWS and the triple treds for me.

Did you just go with their price (pricing the GTs the same as the DWS) or pricematch an online source too? If you din't find an online source, they should be able to adjust it for you. Treadepot.com had good prices. The 17" DWS was $104 on there compared to the $140 at Discount. You have to add in the "shipping" of $60 but it was still a better price, they even accepted the discount coupon treadepot had going on that was another $25 off their price. If you sign up for the discount tire e-mails too, they will send you a $25 coupon in a few days.

I know your deal is prob already done, but doesn't hurt to try and save some money.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:20 PM

Yea, I used treadepot price and they matched them. I think Discount had the DWS's at $144 and treadepot had them at $125 for the size I needed. The Goodyears were $160, but Sears had them on sale this week and Discount matched their price. No shipping. I'll just be glad to get a little more sidewall compared to the 40's I'm running now. All the rain over the past 6 months has created a lot of potholes. They fill one, and then another shows up the next day.

I havn't paid a dime yet. I want to look over the tires first and make sure they have a good date code before they are installed.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Platinum Member

Good info...& getting the best deal..
I agree about checking the date codes as well..

Let us know how you like em, I'll be needing new shoes by this summer (I figure).. Those look good !!!!
Old 02-17-2010, 03:49 PM

I had the DWS put on a few weeks ago...about 1500 miles on them. I have the 215/55/16 on the OEM rims. They seem a little squirmy to me and seem to track the crown of the road and want to pull right a lot. Depends on road. Could be the aggressive tread. They are also a bit jittery but I attribute this to the balance job the guys at Town Fair Tire did. In process of getting new rims from them because of the scratches they put in them(you've seen the thread) so I'll have a better feel for them after they are installed. Steering feels a bit dull too compared to the Firestones that were on there.

Ok that's all the sort of negative stuff..I have found in the past that tires seem to respond and feel better after maybe 5K on them so hoping these do the same.

Here is the good news...I finally got to take these out in the snow yesterday and all I can say is WOW! Performs as advertised! Even though it was not deep stuff it was pretty slick packed down slush that the Affinity's had a real tough time with. I had to really try to get these new shoes to spin that is for sure.

I plan on using these for a winter tire so once April hits I'll be putting on my 17" Chrome OEM rims...these tires do what I want them to do and that is to get me through the white junk and they did that with 10 stars.

I'll report back after new rims and a rebalance

Goose
Old 02-17-2010, 04:59 PM

I don't think it is as much popular as much as a reflection of the poor condition of the tire industry right now.

Many tire companies are cutting back on inventories and production. Most MFG are in a world of hurt money wise right now.

Michelin/BFG has had massive back orders on many tires as have many others. I get calls on many BFG's no one can find and we are told not to expect them for months.

I know several people with the Goodyear GTs and all have been happy with them on Cobalt SS cars. I know a couple with them on other makes too.

So far they have has no issues with snow or rain and said they were much better than the Pirellis they took off.

The GT may not be the perfect tire but for the money it is as good as anything else in class.

Check the Goodyear web site too to see if they have any rebates on them right now it may save you $40.

When my Pilots are done I will replace them with the GT's unless Goodyear has something new or better by then.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Goose

Here is the good news...I finally got to take these out in the snow yesterday and all I can say is WOW! Performs as advertised! Even though it was not deep stuff it was pretty slick packed down slush that the Affinity's had a real tough time with. I had to really try to get these new shoes to spin that is for sure.
Last Friday we had our big snow storm.... I got 4" . My driveway is on a hill, the fronts locked up backing out. But they are almost to the tread bars. It was even more fun getting back in the garage after. Lucky for me, I have lived in several location that got lots of snow (E Washington, Montana, Korea, Germany) so I'm used to it still. But that was the same day Discount called about the backorder. So I did a little more research on got the Goodyears for $150 each. Supposed to go on tomorrow, I need to call them today to make sure the came in.

FYI, Nexen N5000's with 3/32 tread, really suck on slick (and dry) roads.

I was debating on these or the BFG G-Force Sport. Thought I would give these a shot. I also considered the F1, but read too many complaints on wear and cupping. I'm looking to get about 40K out of them, or 2 years with my driving commute.

As far as why they are on backorder, I could get other sizes. They had 235/40's, but I wanted 225/45's.

The Eagle GT currently had a $20 (on 4) rebate on them, woo hoo....
Old 02-18-2010, 08:29 AM

Yeah, I saw that Charleston even got snow! I have spent enough time there to know that snow and Charleston roads are NOT a good mix!

Goose
Old 02-18-2010, 09:34 AM

Location: Fresno, California (formerly of Modesto, Ca. -- hometown of George Lucas, formerly of Winnipeg, Mb.)
That's exactly what happened to us in January 2006, 4 months after buying our HHR, some one slashed the sidewall. We went to the dealer and they said because the firestones were specifically made for the HHR, Firestone only made enough for those on the assembly line, and no more. All tire stores said the same thing, except one in Modesto. He found a pair in Nevada and had it FedExed to us at no charge and installed it, at no charge... all we had to do was pay for the tire... $120.00
Old 02-18-2010, 09:41 AM

I called Discount, the new shoes are in. I'll be in at 8:15 tomorrow to have them put on.

Quick Reply: Tires, national backorder....