Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Tires & Wheels (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/tires-wheels-49/)
-   -   Torque Thrust Wheels (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/tires-wheels-49/torque-thrust-wheels-52823/)

zapshd 01-16-2015 09:16 AM

Torque Thrust Wheels

hey all, my first post here. I have a 2008ls and have searched and keep hearing that they dont make torque thrusts for our HHR's. will these from ebay not fit? I keep reading that they must be custom drilled. ad says these fit.

16 16x7 American Racing Torq Thrust M 5x110 35mm Black Wheels Rims | eBay

Item specifics
Condition: New Manufacturer Part Number: AR105M6752B
Size: 16x7 Surface Finish: Black
Rim Width: 7 Warranty: Yes
Bolt Pattern: 5x110 Brand: American Racing
Offset: +35mm Style: Torq Thrust M
Backspacing: 5.5" Rim Diameter: 16
Finish: Black

thanks

Oldblue 01-16-2015 09:26 AM

Welcome to the site!! Nice find theses are very cool rims

the specs claim they will fit, now our buggy's have a 42 mm offset and a thinner 6.5 inch width but they do claim they will fit and advise how they determine that fitment.
Also they warn you will need different than stock " custom lug nuts " another $30.00 plus shipping

so as Ceasar once said Cavet Emptor or something close to it, maybe buyer beware!

2005HHRauto 01-16-2015 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by zapshd (Post 769574)
hey all, my first post here. I have a 2008ls and have searched and keep hearing that they dont make torque thrusts for our HHR's. will these from ebay not fit? I keep reading that they must be custom drilled. ad says these fit.

They looked beautiful , & They will fit fine...:twothumbs:

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 769576)
Welcome to the site!! Nice find theses are very cool rims

the specs claim they will fit, now our buggy's have a 42 mm offset and a thinner 6.5 inch width but they do claim they will fit and advise how they determine that fitment.
Also they warn you will need different than stock " custom lug nuts " another $30.00 plus shipping

so as Ceasar once said Cavet Emptor or something close to it, maybe buyer beware!

Liar, liar, pants on fire...:lol:
Not really, as you will find an offset range of 35-42, listed for most stock HHR wheels...:smile:
Pilot/Wheel ALY05247U20N at AutoZone.com
Pilot/Wheel ALY06584U88 at AutoZone.com

Oldblue 01-16-2015 10:59 AM

but the stock rims are 42mm offset, so why call me a liar???

2005HHRauto 01-16-2015 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 769604)
but the stock rims are 42mm offset, so why call me a liar???

I guess that you didn't click on those two links in my last post...:wink:
Just saying, that you will find stock HHR wheels listed, anywhere from, 35-42 offset...:D
The OP wanted to know if those wheels would fit, & yes, they will fit fine...:twothumbs:

Oldblue 01-16-2015 11:39 AM

nor did you read this from back in May2006, posted by SoCalHHR

The standard offset is 42mm on the HHR's stock wheels.

An offset of LESS than 42mm will stick OUT more.

An offset of MORE than 42mm will tuck INSIDE the wheelwells more.

and knowing that the after market makes claims then does not back up these claims, I gave the correct answer, to avoid misleading the OP to order rims that could possibly fit or could possibly not fit, causing tire damage, suspension damage, out of pocket expense for shipping and handling and most of these company's will not accept a return once the rim has a tire mounted to it.

zapshd 01-16-2015 11:51 AM

now that ive started WW3 LOL the consensus is these wheels will fit, but they will stick further out than stock? I was going to stay with the 16's because my current tires are like new, would the 17's they sell fit better?

Item specifics
Condition: New Manufacturer Part Number: AR105M77552B
Size: 17x7.5 Surface Finish: Black
Rim Width: 7.5 Warranty: Yes
Bolt Pattern: 5x110 Brand: American Racing
Offset: +45mm Style: Torq Thrust M
Backspacing: 6" Rim Diameter: 17
Finish: Black

dont mind the wheels sticking out further because of wider tires, just not because the offset is not correct.

JerseyJames 01-16-2015 11:53 AM

Torque thrust Ms

Helped a member get a set of torque thrusts re-drilled a while back (probably didn't offer them when he needed them) here's what he posted as specs:

Originally Posted by ROMEO_Rocks (Post 650643)
It doesn't matter at all where the shop is that can sell me a redrilled wheel, as long as they are willing to ship it.

If they don' offer international shipping, i can use a mail forwarding service located in the US to do the export.

The wheel i need is an American Racin Torque Thrust M with black finish,
dimensions: 17x8", bolt pattern 5x4.5" redrilled to 5x110mm,
offset 30mm (if possible with 5mm shaved off the backside for 35mm offset)

Depending on the machine shops capability to shave 5mm off the wheel back, i might even need two of these wheels.

Also i'd like to order a set of 4 hub centric rings and conical lugnuts for these Torque Thrusts. The hub centric rings have to be custom made, which might be possible for the same machine shop that can redrill my wheel(s).

All I know is he got his wheels and I got a watch (he's located in Switzerland & in the watch bizz (go figure) & offered a watch of choice to who ever hooked him up to a company that could do the job). He posted a while later, I asked about the wheels, said they were fine

Oldblue 01-16-2015 12:01 PM

no WW3 here , just facts, the 17's with 7.5 inch width and 45 MM offset MIGHT fit also, I just think it would be best that you measure three time fit and spend once!
3MM is much closer than 7MM to the factory spec of 42MM.
now that being said, there are multiple members who have had to use spacers , change wheel studs, and other things to get their wheels and tires to fit and not rub the struts or the inner fenders. But that's another can of worms to fish with.

zapshd 01-16-2015 12:05 PM

I agree about double ching, the company selling them says either set fits fine, and to call them or AR directly if I have any questions.

JAN67 01-16-2015 12:06 PM

That is a nice looking wheel. I'm hanging out here in the hopes zapshd buys them and posts his experience with fitment. If all goes well, I'm going to find a set of these for my 09.

Oldblue 01-16-2015 12:12 PM

There you go, and personally I love the 16X7's they look more period correct for the vintage HHR body style.
We do have a cool tool up in the tool bar click on tools then click on tire rim calculator and get a tire size idea.

zapshd 01-16-2015 12:28 PM

tire pressure sensors

thanks guys, while i have your ears, what are they gonna charge me to reinstall my tps sensors in the wheels, 2 of them are brand new.

2005HHRauto 01-16-2015 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by JAN67 (Post 769621)
That is a nice looking wheel. I'm hanging out here in the hopes zapshd buys them and posts his experience with fitment. If all goes well, I'm going to find a set of these for my 09.

You have no worrys , as they will fit fine...:twothumbs:

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 769622)
We do have a cool tool up in the tool bar click on tools then click on tire rim calculator and get a tire size idea.

Yes, this also verifies that the OPs wheel will be a perfect fit..:twothumbs:

donbrew 01-16-2015 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by zapshd (Post 769624)
thanks guys, while i have your ears, what are they gonna charge me to reinstall my tps sensors in the wheels, 2 of them are brand new.

Whatever they can get. Most places around me want $15 each. If you mean the wheels are new you could go buy new stems (they are special) then pop them into the wheels. Then all that's left is to unscrew The old sensors and screw it onto the new stem.

Blue_SS 01-16-2015 03:25 PM

They will be fine. The 12.5mm(1/2") rim width change is split between inner and outer width, so the 7 mm offset difference makes them REAL close.

Use a calculator if you don't believe me, but if you want 'em, no need to fret.

2005HHRauto 01-16-2015 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Blue_SS (Post 769639)
They will be fine. The 12.5mm(1/2") rim width change is split between inner and outer width, so the 7 mm offset difference makes them REAL close.

Use a calculator if you don't believe me, but if you want 'em, no need to fret.

Ahh , no...:skull1:
The OP is starting with a 6.5" wheel, with a 42mm offset...
It's almost all shifted to the outside...:twothumbs:
Going from a stock 6.5" wheel with a 42mm offset, to a 7" wheel with a
35mm offset, will shift at least a 1/2" to the outside...:twothumbs:
They are still a good fit...:twothumbs:

prod 01-16-2015 06:20 PM

The problem is you cannot rely on quoted measurements, the only way to be sure is a test fitting or a wide margin for error. My current wheels are 16x7 with 38mm offset and wouldn't fit. The shop that did the mounting and installation didn't even give them a spin to check for rubbing. I drove out with a horrible grinding and found the wheels were dragging on the front calipers. A quick trip to the store for two 1/8" spacers solved it.
In this case I would go for the 17s due to the extra backspacing to clear the brake calipers.

Oldblue 01-16-2015 07:31 PM

Finally my point has been backed up thank you Prod.
See them, feel them , test fit them , then buy them!

2005HHRauto 01-16-2015 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 769663)
See them, feel them , test fit them , then buy them!

Hmm, sounds sexy...:D

JerseyJames 01-16-2015 09:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A Member's ride ...

Attachment 23082

Attachment 23083

2005HHRauto 01-16-2015 10:40 PM

Sweet
Now that is sexy...:twothumbs:

Oldblue 01-17-2015 07:23 AM

Very sexy but , that is the HHR with the redrilled Mustang rim's he had some machine work done to the back of the centre hub of the wheels and I believe he required spacers so they would clear the front calipers, so not a simple bolt on read the insert in post #8 from JerseyJames about Romeo~Rocks he even mentions centric rings

JerseyJames 01-17-2015 12:59 PM

Romeo Rocks ride

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 769702)
Very sexy but , that is the HHR with the redrilled Mustang rim's he had some machine work done to the back of the centre hub of the wheels and I believe he required spacers so they would clear the front calipers, so not a simple bolt on read the insert in post #8 from JerseyJames about Romeo~Rocks he even mentions centric rings

Yeah,at the time was not a bolt on. Had this done in 3-13-2013. factory probably didn't offer the wheels with HHR pattern at that time. not Mustang bullet - but this - American Racing Torq Thrust M. He had the backs of the wheels machined to that back spacing, along with the redrilled bolt pattern. The centric rings may be a European thing? (he's in Switzerland). Looked back at some of his posts & the bullet wheels were discussed, but he got the Torq Thrusts at the specs in post #8, this thread.
Moot point as at Amazon, says wheels fits a 2008 HHR ... & at that price may get a set myself! :D
That being said, ask vendor (if you can) about what if rims don't fit and get it IN WRITING. as they say "caveat emptor" - let the buyer deware

p.s. don't forget to check on lug nuts, do you need different ones to run this rim?

Fox Hat 01-18-2015 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by prod (Post 769655)
The problem is you cannot rely on quoted measurements, the only way to be sure is a test fitting or a wide margin for error. My current wheels are 16x7 with 38mm offset and wouldn't fit. The shop that did the mounting and installation didn't even give them a spin to check for rubbing. I drove out with a horrible grinding and found the wheels were dragging on the front calipers. A quick trip to the store for two 1/8" spacers solved it.
In this case I would go for the 17s due to the extra backspacing to clear the brake calipers.

After reading about Prods experience way back when I got the same wheels AND spacers and have had no issues:twothumbs:

AR shows many choices for the HHR

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sx_as?qi...4--5-------1-1

2005HHRauto 01-18-2015 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by prod (Post 769655)

Offset & backspacing have nothing to do with rotor clearance, & everything to
do with where the wheel sits, [inside/outside], clearances.

The wheel spoke design, has everything to do about rotor clearances.
You needed spacers because of the thick Cadillac spoke design...:twothumbs:
Those Cadillac wheels are heavy *****es, costing you fuel mileage , & horsepower.

prod 01-18-2015 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by 2005HHRauto (Post 769828)
Offset & backspacing have nothing to do with rotor clearance, & everything to
do with where the wheel sits, [inside/outside], clearances.

The wheel spoke design, has everything to do about rotor clearances.
You needed spacers because of the thick Cadillac spoke design...:twothumbs:
Those Cadillac wheels are heavy *****es, costing you fuel mileage , & horsepower.

You're right, just looked it up. I had thought backspacing measured to the spokes, but in fact it measures to the mounting surface. Kinda silly as the offset combined with rim width makes it somewhat redundant.
Ya the caddy rims are thick spokes flat on the back, not very common thankfully. Very heavy for 16, but very solid and I believe made in germany.

2005HHRauto 01-19-2015 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by prod (Post 769838)
You're right, just looked it up. I had thought backspacing measured to the spokes, but in fact it measures to the mounting surface. Kinda silly as the offset combined with rim width makes it somewhat redundant.
Ya the caddy rims are thick spokes flat on the back, not very common thankfully. Very heavy for 16, but very solid and I believe made in germany.

I like what Japanese technology has done with wheels, lightweight & very strong.
http://www.mynismo.com/images/mat.pdf
My wife has a small digital kitchen scale, 0-10 lb range.
My Enkei wheels all weigh in at just a hair under 9.5lbs...:twothumbs:
I use them all year round, on my DD, & haven't had any issues, after 3 years, even after hitting winter potholes. I still find it hard to believe that aluminum wheels, can be made so light & strong...:bow:

zapshd 01-22-2015 08:48 AM

part 2 of torque thrust question

ok guys, thought my tires were in better shape so was going to tranfer them over to the 16" torque thrusts, but checked manufacture dates on tire and they are 2009, so anyway gonna go with the 17" torque thrusts now, lots of info when i searched tire sizes but nothing in stone. whats the best size. dont want a lower overall tire size, want wider. will a 245/45/17 fit ? keep in mind the wheel is 7.5" wide and offset is 45MM

thanks again

Oldblue 01-22-2015 10:02 AM

According to the tire rim calculator tool in the toolbar, yes they will

donbrew 01-22-2015 10:24 AM

"Best" for what? Maybe that's why you can't and won't find a definitive answer.

sleeper 01-24-2015 11:10 PM

For anyone thinking about those AR Torq Thrust "M" rims, the picture they show is NOT what a FWD +45 offset 5 x 110 rim will look like. There will be almost no lip that makes them look best..

Yes those re-drilled & machined Mustang rims look good. But that's a whole different set up..

Don't believe me ? google up AR Torq Thrust 17" 5 x 110... You will be disappointed (imo)..

I looked at these in person & rejected them because of this, otherwise they would have been on my Panel for a good while now..

They really don't have the attitude with almost no lip on the rim to speak of..

Frisco HHR 02-02-2015 10:07 PM

Nice ride what size wheels

zapshd 02-03-2015 01:58 PM

well as an update, I bought the 17x7.5 torque thrusts, waiting on the new
tpms sensors, looking at continental extreme contact dws tires. thinking 235/45/17 which will fit no problem. not sure how much the 245/45/17's will stick out. don't want the rock chips, would like to go 235/50/17 (26.25) but that appears to be the max tire height, no one seems to know if they will fit for sure,

any ideas? and yes I searched. but no definite answers, at least not with this exact rim spacing.

and yes I agree that the picture that shows them with a larger lip than we will see on our application because of our offset doesn't look as good, its still a great looking wheel. that why I also own a 70 big block 454 el camino 15x12 rims on 295 drag radials.

sleeper 02-03-2015 10:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
zapshd- Do you have the new rims in your possession yet ?

According to American Racing (just recently), our offset on this "M" rim will still have a 1.2" lip.. That's not what I saw a good while back, but maybe they have improved the design ?

Pics would be nice to scope out..

PS: as to tire fitment, if you are still running stock struts, a very squared tire profile 'could' make a diff on how wide of rubber you can stuff under the front.

I currently have 26.1" tall (least when they were new) with 225/50/17, I had .300" clearance to my strut plate..

zapshd 02-04-2015 12:37 AM

yes i have the rims, they look awesome, ill snap a pic when i can. theres at least 1 inch or more polished lip.

thanks for the pic, guess ill just run the 235/45's unless someone says the 245/45 fit well without sticking out too far

sleeper 02-04-2015 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by zapshd (Post 770995)
yes i have the rims, they look awesome, ill snap a pic when i can. theres at least 1 inch or more polished lip.

thanks for the pic, guess ill just run the 235/45's unless someone says the 245/45 fit well without sticking out too far

zapshd- Cool, would be great to see a pic..:thumb: I spoke to a vendor (Mike @ CARiD) & he tells me that the 17" 7.5" (5 x 110) "M" Torque Thrusts will NOT fit, he says they will hit the struts with the +45 offset, I don't know if that is true or not.

Also says they are totally unavailable from American Racing for at least a month or so. Sold out, since the new Dodge Dart uses the same bolt pattern.

Hopefully when you get 'fitted up' you can give an update as well. :twothumbs:

zapshd 02-05-2015 12:11 PM

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...14_474x640.jpg

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...15_640x480.jpg

wow that was a learning curve finding out how to post pics, anyway spoke
to American racing directly, they said no problem wheel fits fine. spoke to ebay seller he said will fit no problem but to dry fit wheel (don't mount tire) to make sure, wheel fits fine, hard to see in second pic but inside of wheel lip has at least 1/2 or more clearance to strut, and will clear everything fine. still snowing here in NY but gonna mount tires real soon

hope this helps guys

2manyvans 02-05-2015 03:04 PM

Can't wait to see them on with tires! zapshd, you should check into Premium Membership. For around $10 a year (I think) it makes it a lot easier to post pics -cut n paste. and more privileges

sleeper 02-05-2015 10:25 PM

zapshd- Rims look hot, & plenty of Lip !!! Thanks for posting the pics (so far).:twothumbs:.
Can't wait to see them on yer ride..

Is it me, or does that strut bolt look like a fat tire might be Very close to rubbing it ?
If so, nothing a cut off wheel couldn't remedy quickly. But 'could' be a bad surprise at the tire shop..

PS: X 2 on what 2manyvans posted..