Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Wheel Pitting

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 01:51 PM

Wheel Pitting

Hello, all:

I got a set of four MP wheels about two winters ago from discount tire. They were really nice for the price---mostly black enemal with perhaps a 1/2 inch aluminum or some such (I think) edging. Well---after this winter, that edging (the painted part is fine) has started to pit a bit---probably from road salt-- to the point where the wheels look kinda bad. Can anyone tell me if there is anything I can do to renew them by myself---sanding, steel wool, whatever--or am I hosed!

After two years, it bothers me that they would do this---I have a 2003 Monte Carlo SS with factory wheels and they still look new. I probably should have gone factory instead of trying to save a few bucks--but---alas--too late.

Any help appreciated.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:29 PM

Got any pics of this damage?
Old 05-07-2011, 05:43 PM

First off when you say a really nice price do you mean cheap?

The thing to note here is the less you pay for a wheel the more the quilty drops. Second most aftermarket wheels are not suited for winter use. Pitting and rust are common on lower cost wheels [$200 or less].

Factory wheels are clear coated like many higher cost wheels they are made for year round use and will take winters better.

I would have to see the damage but there are some polishes and things you may do to clean them up. But in the future if you want to protect them I would get some steel wheels for winter and leave them off as once this has started it will come back again and again.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:55 PM

Thx for your responses. I will try to get up a couple pics soon

peace