War Stories HHR vs all

Jettas hurt

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 10:23 PM
ecl

Jettas hurt

I went to go to Office Max to get some ink for the printer to find them closed for the night, I figured I would go home then changed my mind and decided to check Wal-Mart. Well pulling into the parking lot isle im pulling in and an 04 Jetta backs up right into my door, unavailable, big truck was blocking both our views. Will be getting an estament on Monday, we exchange info but im thinking we are both responsible for our own damage.
Name:  SANY0315.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  56.9 KB

Name:  SANY0317.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  52.2 KB
Name:  SANY0320.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  40.3 KB
Old 05-31-2009, 04:35 AM

Well it's not the end of the world. Last yr was not pretty for my other car(traded) 2 accidents in one yr. Plus my 09 LT1 was an accident victim with merely 1400 miles. Their loss my gain. I paid 7k less then sticker price and the car is nearly good as new.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:39 AM

I can tell you from experience that if you back into someone it is your fault no matter what the circumstances. I had a cop write up the report that I was at fault for backing into a car in a parking lot. I was backing out of a spot and then woman just turned into the lane, drove down it and drove right behind me as I was backing up. didn't matter that I was already 2/3 blocking the lane, didn't matter she said she saw me and though she could get past before I got out any further. Case close my fault for her bad driving because I was backing up. Don't let the insurance company put the blame on you.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:06 AM
ecl

We did call the police but they said they couldnt do any thing since its in a private parking lot. That sucks but we'll see what insurance has to say about it. One good bit of news is I had a previous ding in that door so a repair means 2 birds with one stone, sucks its going to get fixed this way but at least it gets fixed. This is also the first accident Ive ever had, knew it was only a matter of time but was hopeing to go alot longer, oh well life hits in the most inconvinent times.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:26 AM

That was a BS answer from the cops. I've never seen a shopping mall kind of parking lot that the police don't have jurisdiction over. In the one area of town here they even have signs up warning people that just because they are in a parking lot doesn't mean the police don't have jurisdiction over it.

Go do some burnouts and donuts in the parking lot and see how fast the police are willing to take over and give tickets.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:32 AM

I had basically the same thing happen to me a few years back. I was also at Wal-Mart and backing out of a parking spot, someone else started backing out of a spot on the other side of the isle and hit my passenger side quarter panel. I called the police but they could not do anything other than exchanging insurance info since it was private property. I had the luck of having the same insurance company as the other driver otherwise I may have got a better settlement but who knows. They ruled it as split fault so it did not count against anyone and if I would have had full coverage that would have picked up the rest. His car had no damage (other than my paint on his bumper) and mine ended up with $1250 in damages which I got $625. I did get lucky and find a shop that repaired it for me for what the insurance company gave me, basically because they were able to repair the bumper that had been creased from the quarter panel being dented instead of replacing it. Good luck.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:32 AM
ecl

I was thinking the same thing I might do some more digging and see whats up with that.

edit- so checked and yeah thats right the police wont do any thing about it since its private property, they let the insurances deal with it. As for your whole doing burn outs and donuts that falls under reckless driving. Also some malls/plaza have roadways that are under jurisdiction but not our Wal-Mart parking lot. We also both had the same insurance, any one dealt with progressive? Being my first time with any insurance stuff any advice?

Last edited by ecl; 05-31-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:11 PM

One of the accidents in the Sentra was dealt with progressive.(their insurer) Guy was good. Came right to my place of work. I just opened the vehicle up for him to snap his pics. Guy had a detail sheet what I would expect. Turned out there was further damage then they thought. Claim guy and body shop got together and re-did the claim. No bad issues here.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:08 PM
ecl

I went and talk to some shops today, nothing offical yet but im looking at about $1500 in damage. Thats replacing just the door skin, every one told me they probably wouldnt replace the whole door cause it would be to expensive, a skin was $487 door $756. Makes no sense to me, Ill take to the insurance about that, I just want it fixed right.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:39 PM
ecl

Just got off the phone with the the other insurance agent and they are paying for all damages, and a rental while its in the shop. I also get to take it to a shop I trust and has done good work for my company before so it seems to be working out nicely. It goes in the 15th.

Quick Reply: Jettas hurt