Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Stabilizer links

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 12:45 AM

Stabilizer links

I was hearing a rattling noise coming from the front end of my 07 HHR. Took it in to the dealer and they determined that the stabilizer shaft link needed to be replaced. I went away happy, but then the noise started again. This time they replaced the same thing on the other side. Well, the noise is back again. I know that there will be no problem to get it replaced again, but I was wondering if anyone else is having the same problem. Or maybe someone knows if they have improved the shaft link so this doesn't keep happening to me. What would cause this to happen?
Old 10-20-2009, 08:08 AM

There's a bulletin dealing with the various front end noises-#04-03-08-006D.It involves a lot more than the bar links.Have the dealer consult it and see if any of it applies to your car.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:20 AM

I had those replaced on mine, and it took care of it for about a month, then they replaced the struts.

That seemed to have taken care of it.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:03 AM

Yeah it seems like theres a few front end components that dont wear too well. Ive had the endlinks, bushings and steering column all replaced, havent had the struts yet. The worst part is, you know they are probably going to go every couple years.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:48 AM

So I went back to the dealership and they replaced the front stabilizer shaft link again. The noise is gone for now. My concern is that this is what they did last time and the noise came back. My warranty is up in just under 3000k. Should I go back and get them to investigate further? I don't want this problem to occur again after the warranty expires cause then they would make me pay.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:27 PM

you would be best to go with a moog replacement stabalizer bar the gm link has a plastic joint inside the ball and joint. the moog is all steel. i have had these replaced twice under waranty. my waranty is up now so i will be replacing them with the moogs when that so annoying rattle returns as im sure it will due to its poor design.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:38 PM

Yeah, as with many of the GM parts, when the warranty runs out, go with aftermarket.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:49 PM

I have had the links replaced a total of five times plus the struts. The problem isn't the links, it is the hardware G.M. uses. They use a nut with a built in lock washer, when it strips ( and it will ), the link will move back and forth, causing noise and then clunking.By replacing these with grade 8 nuts,washers and lock washers, where the link attaches to the strut and the sway bar, problem solved. I was averaging 12-15,000 km per G.M. unit, I am over 50,000 km, no noise and it only cost me about $6.00 total at Home Depot.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:47 PM

Thanx Ted123 for that info. My 08 Panel developed the noise a couple months ago and I finally decided today that I have to take a look at it. But only concluded that it's some sort of 'metal' noise and not the front end plastic clunking.

Based on the posts, looks like it's the same problem many of you have had. I've got a little bit of warranty left so I'm gonna have them take a look, but changing the hardware sounds like a great idea (wonder what the dealer will say about that).
Old 11-22-2009, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by prod
Yeah, as with many of the GM parts, when the warranty runs out, go with aftermarket.
Same goes for BMW. There are front suspension components in my wife's 325 that clunk and clank. not a safety issue, but annoying, and the fix is aftermarket in many cases.

Quick Reply: Stabilizer links