Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

CNG, Auto-Gaz Centrum, sequential (multi-port) injection system

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by SlowHHRlt
Guess whatyes in the same location. I did not want to raise the center of gravity any more than it is now with the cng tanks. I purchased a new battery in hopes it last as long as original battery(6 years).
Good luck with that....
Old 08-22-2012, 08:50 AM

Arrow

Originally Posted by solman98
Looks like a nice install except, what have you set up for safety for the tanks in case of an accident? I don't see any sort of cage ot shield.
Well, I can see you haven't had any exposure to the testing for safety, that has gone into CNG tank for vehicles.
Here is just one for your knowledge: CNG Cylinders 101 link
http://www.cleanvehicle.org/technolo...nandSafety.pdf
Old 08-22-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowHHRlt View Post
Guess whatyes in the same location. I did not want to raise the center of gravity any more than it is now with the cng tanks. I purchased a new battery in hopes it last as long as original battery(6 years).

Good luck with that....
Don't so pessimistic
Old 08-22-2012, 09:06 AM

^Not sure who's pissed into some of the Sr. members wheaties lately...
Old 08-22-2012, 09:12 AM

Looks like a nice install except, what have you set up for safety for the tanks in case of an accident? I don't see any sort of cage ot shield.
The tanks look like they are factory wrapped in cf.

This is really cool, I can remember when hot rod mag did a story on a cng Lincoln, everybody was scratching their heads over it.

My question would be what happens when tank pressure gets low??

Now the really cool part is being able to keep a 500 gallon tank on you property, the govt won't let you do that with a gas pump.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:43 AM

Well, I can see you haven't had any exposure to the testing for safety, that has gone into CNG tank for vehicles.
Here is just one for your knowledge: CNG Cylinders 101 link
http://www.cleanvehicle.org/technolo...nandSafety.pdf
Actually, I'm in the process for being certified as a CNG tank inspector, http://www.ngvi.com/. So yes, I know how they are built. It's not the tank you have to worry about going boom........ They handle explosions very well, the PRD covers that. What's around them, different story. I'm guess without actually being able to see the neck those are type 4's? Have you ever seem what happens to a vehicle with rear tanks that gets rear ended with tanks that don't have a cage around them?

I have......
Old 08-22-2012, 09:46 AM

Don't so pessimistic
Batteries today with modern cars and die at any time. Most don't even get the slow crank anymore, it's just dead all of a sudden. With what you now have to go through to get to the battery, yea, good luck. That's a small thing to think about changing.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:04 AM

Actually, I'm in the process for being certified as a CNG tank inspector, http://www.ngvi.com/. So yes, I know how they are built. It's not the tank you have to worry about going boom........ They handle explosions very well, the PRD covers that. What's around them, different story. I'm guess without actually being able to see the neck those are type 4's? Have you ever seem what happens to a vehicle with rear tanks that gets rear ended with tanks that don't have a cage around them?

I have......
I'm not wanting to debate tank safety. I'm not a scientist or design engineer. All I can say is. These are from a Crown Victoria type2 tanks with PDR vent to exterior.
Could you tell me why Honda and Ford with factory equipped CNG don't have a cage around the PRD's. If the risk were that great, do you think Honda or Ford would produce CNG cars without cages around PRD's?
Tanks don't normally go boom, it's the cng that would ignite. It's know fact that gasoline spilling onto the ground has a better chance of ignition than cng into the air.
The Autoignition Temperature - or the minimum temperature required to ignite a gas or vapor in air without a spark or flame being present.
Gasoline= 536 degrees f, Natural gas= 1076 degrees f
Old 08-22-2012, 11:16 AM

Batteries today with modern cars and die at any time. Most don't even get the slow crank anymore, it's just dead all of a sudden. With what you now have to go through to get to the battery, yea, good luck. That's a small thing to think about changing.
Flooded lead acid batteries are still the same basic thing for many decades. Just learned to make plates more durable and so on.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:25 AM

I'm not wanting to debate tank safety. I'm not a scientist or design engineer. All I can say is. These are from a Crown Victoria type2 tanks with PDR vent to exterior.
Could you tell me why Honda and Ford with factory equipped CNG don't have a cage around the PRD's. If the risk were that great, do you think Honda or Ford would produce CNG cars without cages around PRD's?
Tanks don't normally go boom, it's the cng that would ignite. It's know fact that gasoline spilling onto the ground has a better chance of ignition than cng into the air.
The Autoignition Temperature - or the minimum temperature required to ignite a gas or vapor in air without a spark or flame being present.
Gasoline= 536 degrees f, Natural gas= 1076 degrees f
You just answered your question, if these are type 2 tanks, they are probably long from new. Probably the reason they didn't have some sort of shield, lot's of new/better systems out there. Now I have another question, what year are the tanks? And your saying what they were installed in didn't have any sort of shield from the factory? I remember even Contours from the factory having a shield. They were further in from rear under the rear shelf. From the looks of yours, the neck is above the bumper, so in a rear in collision, being that close to the rear, something could break loose.

I'm not going to argue here, just giving you some information, take it as you will. I appaud you in doing this. I just don't want it to be a big mistake down the road if something simple could have prevented something.

Yes, the tanks are tough. The PDR is designed to give to prevent rupture. They have to vented to the outside if installed in an interior (trunk is considered part of the interior). WIsh I had my book with me today, it's at my office.

These 4 cars were involved in the same incident, one was a CNG, guess which one? Hint, it was the Honda.

The CNG tank landed about 120 feet away.

So, Honda doesn't install a cage or shield.......

Quick Reply: CNG, Auto-Gaz Centrum, sequential (multi-port) injection system