General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

bear vs. hhr

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 06:47 PM

bear vs. hhr

I think this is a first. Tim and his family (hhrnole) are camping up here in Cosby, TN. They were woke up in the middle of the night to the sounds of a bear tearing into the bumper of their hhr. He says it's ok, and will post pics when he gets back to FL. Apparently someone forgot to take care of their trash properly, and this lured the bear in. bumper has a few new holes, and there is a pretty good claw mark on the left rear quarter.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Banned

Wow! That's crazy!

*Note to self, do not stuff bumper with fish.*
Old 06-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

So, what, you call your insurance company and say " A bear chewed on my car!" They may ask you to take a breathalyzer test.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Deceased

Cripes! That could have turned out really bad, HHR's can be fixed good as new, people not so much.

Let Tim know we're glad they're all OK.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:26 AM
geg

One day a guy came into my office with a dead crow in his hands.
He raced in the BMW X5 on suburban highways, where the bird decided to fly across the road. The result: a broken hood, broken grill , broken windshield.
Traffic police gave "The certificate of an accident":
"The second party to the accident. Last name - Crow. Name - is not established. Perpetrator of an accident - Crow.
In The actions of mr. Crow violations of "The Administrative Code of Russia", has been no detected. At the initiation of the administrative affairs is denied."

Another thing I've seen cars damaged by deer, horses, dogs and rats. But the bear's work, I have never seen.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:56 AM

A decade and a dozen or so years ago one of my brother in laws hit a bear with his International Harvester 4 wheel drive pickup.

Some of you may know of the beast. They are a very heavy duty machine and usually impervious to impacts with various flora and fauna found in the woods. He calls it the Hulk!

Since he lives in northwest Wisconsin and it was winter he had been drinking for several hours and was finally on his way home.

He hit the bear almost dead center of the grill. The force was enough to break the radiator so hot antifreeze was released in great quantities. The truck was moving fast enough that the bear ended up underneath the front end pretty well tangled in all the moving parts between the steering wheels and transfer case.

The rear wheels still had traction and the machine an animal lumbered on down the road at a pretty scary rate of almost linear movement.

Finally my brother in laws slightly impaired brain thought to turn off the ignition switch and the truck came to a halt.

One headlight was still functional but he really didn't know what he had hit and couldn't see what was under the truck so, he was looking for a flashlight when a few of his drinking buddies came along.

The bear was not quite dead yet. It was doing what it could to bench press the weight of the truck off its body.

Now I did mention that they were in northwest Wisconsin, at that time almost everyone carried at least one shotgun or rifle in the gun rack in the back window of their pickup so,...
a tremendous amount of ordinance was deployed in the general direction of the bear.

Unfortunately a .308 round made it to the engine block and several .12 gauge slugs finished off what was left of the radiator. The front tires which had been fine were riddled with holes as well.

Eventually a passing state patrol officer came on the scene and wrote it all up. I still wonder how he managed to get the report done and control his mirth.

My brother in law now has the black bear hide all tanned and hanging on the wall of his living room, you have to look really close to see the bullet holes, and the Hulk has another engine, radiator, transfer case, and straight tin work so its no worse for wear. There is also a very heavy duty bush/bear guard on the front end.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:15 AM
geg

Originally Posted by Grizzly old man
A decade and a dozen or so years ago one of my brother in laws hit a bear with his International Harvester 4 wheel drive pickup.

Some of you may know of the beast. They are a very heavy duty machine and usually impervious to impacts with various flora and fauna found in the woods. He calls it the Hulk!

Since he lives in northwest Wisconsin and it was winter he had been drinking for several hours and was finally on his way home.

He hit the bear almost dead center of the grill. The force was enough to break the radiator so hot antifreeze was released in great quantities. The truck was moving fast enough that the bear ended up underneath the front end pretty well tangled in all the moving parts between the steering wheels and transfer case.

The rear wheels still had traction and the machine an animal lumbered on down the road at a pretty scary rate of almost linear movement.

Finally my brother in laws slightly impaired brain thought to turn off the ignition switch and the truck came to a halt.

One headlight was still functional but he really didn't know what he had hit and couldn't see what was under the truck so, he was looking for a flashlight when a few of his drinking buddies came along.

The bear was not quite dead yet. It was doing what it could to bench press the weight of the truck off its body.

Now I did mention that they were in northwest Wisconsin, at that time almost everyone carried at least one shotgun or rifle in the gun rack in the back window of their pickup so,...
a tremendous amount of ordinance was deployed in the general direction of the bear.

Unfortunately a .308 round made it to the engine block and several .12 gauge slugs finished off what was left of the radiator. The front tires which had been fine were riddled with holes as well.

Eventually a passing state patrol officer came on the scene and wrote it all up. I still wonder how he managed to get the report done and control his mirth.

My brother in law now has the black bear hide all tanned and hanging on the wall of his living room, you have to look really close to see the bullet holes, and the Hulk has another engine, radiator, transfer case, and straight tin work so its no worse for wear. There is also a very heavy duty bush/bear guard on the front end.
great story
I'm amazed

It seems that the U.S. bears grazing on the road like cows. Mike also killed the bear so way, he wrote about it.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:46 AM

Bears are getting to be more and more an issue many places. Here in Ohio we have had issues with them roaming around and some even in the city limits of Cleveland, and Akron.

One was hit by a Grand Am only a few miles from the house here and it killed the bear and Grand Am.

Deer are even worse. I have them come up to me out in my yard. I even had a could almost run over me mowing. They have no fear anymore.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:03 AM
geg

Yes.
We also have deer and elk on our streets - but very rarely and in small towns.

It is rumored that in some places in Siberia bears have become arrogant. Attack dogs and people. This is due to a decrease in feed, poachers have taken a lot of salmon and the bears are forced to starve.

With me were no such cases. Except - the cobra came into my yard (when I traveled to India).
Old 06-05-2012, 06:34 AM

We are starting to have black bears roaming suburbia here in Virginia Beach. I live just a few miles north and slightly west of the Great Dismal Swamp so if i see a bear I'm not all that surprised...

That being said..... "This one time at band camp".....

A few yeas ago I was bow hunting deer on a 70 acre property that I had never hunted before. i was sitting back up to a big white oak watching a cut that ran up from a creek bottom to a ridge top with an abandoned apple orchard that the deer seemed to be hitting pretty regularity. I heard what I thought was a deer jump a downed log behind me about a hundred yards, and slowly turned my head to see which way it was moving... I froze. It was a big old black bear. Me on the ground with a bow 6 arrows and a hunting knife. Lucky for me it was headed away over the ridge and the I was downwind....

NOTE TO SELF: Tree-stand if I hunt there again.

Quick Reply: bear vs. hhr