General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Do HHR Cargo Shelves always fit this poorly?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 03:23 PM

Do HHR Cargo Shelves always fit this poorly?

This is the way the cargo shelf fits in the upper position on my 2008 SS.

If you put any sort of weight on it, the shelf will fall down as soon as you hit a small bump. It falls so easily, the shelf is practically useless in the upper position. I'm really disappointed with it. You'd think that GM would be able to design these things to fit better. It's not rocket science to make that so the fit is closer and the supporting pegs protrude further into the holders.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Do these things always fit this poorly on HHRs or is this something that got improved upon in later years?

Can I fix this problem by getting a cargo shelf from a different year HHR? If so, what year(s)?

Is there is a modification that can be made to the shelf I already have?

Or do I just have to make my own, better fitting shelf?
Old 09-27-2014, 03:29 PM
Technical Moderator

Mine fits really tightly.
Are all 4 rubber pieces still attached?
Are you sure you are in the correct ho;es?
Need an https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...s-manual-3074/ (that's a link)
Old 09-27-2014, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

Mine fits snug.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:52 PM
Deceased

Yeah, somethings goofy there, mine all fit very snugly...almost too snugly sometimes.

I wonder if the cargo compartment inner panels were removed at one time, then refitted improperly, that could explain the shelf collapsing under a load as the trim panels flex.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:13 PM

Wink Ummm...

..seems Cheby don't like dat.

shot of what's on my cover ...

Name:  DSCN0013_zps6832a47c.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  113.4 KB

& the Manual ...

Name:  ScreenShot_zps4338cb8b.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  90.5 KB

Probably GM doing CYA so when somebody gets a tool box to the back of their head, then can say "told ya so!" . seems not a good idea to use the "UPPER" or "POSITION 2" for cargo. Looks like a little cargo shelf fabrication might be in your future ...
Old 09-27-2014, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Mine fits really tightly.
Are all 4 rubber pieces still attached?
Are you sure you are in the correct ho;es?
Need an https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...s-manual-3074/ (that's a link)
Yes, all four rubber pieces are there and attached yet the fit is really poor at the rear of the vehicle. The tolerances are tighter on the front two supports. Maybe my vehicle was assembled incorrectly? At any rate, I'm glad to hear that it's not just poor design by GM.

My office adjoins the regional GM office where they have technician training and that sort of thing. I know an engineer there. I'll have a word with him about it to see if he has any ideas about why my car seems so far out of spec in that area. While I'm at it, I'll get him to reprogram they computer and give the SS another 40 hp while he's at it (he offered to do this when I told him I was getting the SS.)

Last edited by DangerBoy; 09-27-2014 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Improved the writing
Old 09-27-2014, 09:49 PM
Technical Moderator

If you were to read post #5, you would note that the loading of cargo on the top is NOT allowed.

It is made to HANG things from. That's what the hooks are for.

All of that is in the Owners Manual.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:22 AM
Deceased

Well Don, I'm guilty of placing cargo on mine in the upper position if I have to rearrange things "out back", but then the cargo goes back below it in the proper location.

But even a 75lb bag of cat litter hasn't caused a collapse, hence my train of thought about the cargo area trim panels being out of whack.

The only real problem I've ever had was finding a "Cashmere" cargo shelf for my '06, it took a year of watching e-Bay for a non-abused used one. I'm a "two shelf" owner, each member of the fleet/herd has a second shelf always in the upper position to keep prying eyes off of any cargo or packages back there.

Vehicle break-ins are rampant in Charlotte.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:53 AM

Mike
Mine has a secomd shelf also. I found one at a local junk yard. It was in good shape. I think I paid $35.00 for it. It will hold a lot of flowers in pots. My wife has loaded it up several times. I also pack groceries onb and below. I have had 3 or 4 cases of bottled water on it and no problems.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:15 AM

that's why we have panels,,, private eyes are watching you....
Originally Posted by 843de
Well Don, I'm guilty of placing cargo on mine in the upper position if I have to rearrange things "out back", but then the cargo goes back below it in the proper location.

But even a 75lb bag of cat litter hasn't caused a collapse, hence my train of thought about the cargo area trim panels being out of whack.

The only real problem I've ever had was finding a "Cashmere" cargo shelf for my '06, it took a year of watching e-Bay for a non-abused used one. I'm a "two shelf" owner, each member of the fleet/herd has a second shelf always in the upper position to keep prying eyes off of any cargo or packages back there.

Vehicle break-ins are rampant in Charlotte.

Quick Reply: Do HHR Cargo Shelves always fit this poorly?