General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Rear hatch tweaked or dented..?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 09:44 PM

Unhappy Rear hatch tweaked or dented..?

Hello all.

Today was a great day to wash my car WELL for the first time since I've had it. I washed it a couple weeks ago but it was getting dark out, I really just wanted to get the dust and bugs off from the year-so I did a sub-par job. Today was different

Well. I noticed what appeared to be a darker silver area on my rear door.

I wiped it with the mitt and soap a couple times-still there. I rinsed it off and I noticed that the light bends around the area. Its a dent!!!!!

I almost started to freaking cry. I don't know how it got there-nor do I know for sure if it was there when I bought the thing. It was night time and snowing and the rear of the car was in the darkness... I just assumed it was all brand spanking new and smooth.

I never EVER slam my doors, park close to anyone, or abuse my vehicle. Its absolutely spotless, except for the 3M protectors that have yellowed a bit.

I just don't know what to do. There is no evident at all that someone contacted it. There is no paint smear. No scuffs. No chipping. Nothing.

I will try and take a photo of it. When I FIRST saw it, I thought it was supposed to be that way, like for the popper mechanism or something.
I stopped at a local car rental place and so a new bright red HHR on their lot, and they were closed. To my horror, it did not have the undulation where mine did.

I am no longer perfect. I was hoping to keep this car as immaculate as possible for as long as I possibly could. This really bothers me.

I know things happen in parking lots, cars bumping about and careless other drivers opening their doors, but this is on my rear hatch. Something funny happened and I can't figure it out. Could it have been this way from the factory?? I bought this car after it sat on the lot almost a year...anything is possible I suppose.

Should I go to the dealership about it? Think they will help me? I will post up a pic if I can get it to show in the light.

Thanks all.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:48 PM

When you close the rear gate do you use the chrome beauty bar? (or painted as the case may be)
Old 05-30-2011, 09:58 PM

Sounds like he got bit by the beauty bar crease. Mine was a rental so it came with the dimples already installed.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:04 PM

Here are some photos.

Name:  IMAG0784.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  35.1 KB

Name:  IMAG0785.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  24.7 KB

And here is where I saw a darker silver shade that caught my eye.

Name:  IMAG0787.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  21.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0786.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  25.5 KB

I honestly don't know what to make of it. It looks like its something from the inside pushing outward, now that I see it again. Anyone have any thoughts? Should I brings this to the dealership's attentions? I've only had this car since mid January.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:05 PM

I have a beauty bar crease on mine because of a hurricane i was driving in.3 years ago
Old 05-30-2011, 10:07 PM

When I close it I use the hand depression on the inner door panel to pull it down, and either use my hand on the glass or just above the bowtie. :/
Old 05-30-2011, 10:08 PM

What is this "beauty bar crease"? Would the dealership be familiar with it?
Old 05-30-2011, 10:38 PM

Anyone? I plan to stop at the dealership in the morning. I need to know what to expect.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:26 PM

The "beauty bar" crease is indentions that appear on each end of the bar because of pushing on the bow tie or bar. What you have appears to be lower on the tail gate. Had a Kia Sorento several years ago that would crease the same way. Damn "tin foil" the auto makers use for bodys these days.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

From you one pic, you do not have the beauty bar dents. They are like dimples on a smile. Beauty Bar being the smile.

What I see is different tone of paint, any dent is outward looking.
The color difference can be from a touch up job , that didn't match perfectly.

I would certainly tell your Dealer, but after this amount of time. IDK ?

Good Luck..

Quick Reply: Rear hatch tweaked or dented..?