General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Rear hatch tweaked or dented..?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 01:22 AM
Deceased

Boy I don't know, it sure looks like the hatch is tweaked on initial viewing. But if you look closely at the third picture and draw a line from the top of the "R" at about a 15 degree angle upward it intersects with a smaller dent. I'm thinking that maybe you got tagged lightly in the rear by something that overrode the rear bumper like a pickup truck with a lift kit.
Attached Images  
Old 05-31-2011, 08:23 AM

It looks to me like someone kicked it.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:27 AM

Try "pops a dent". I bought it long time ago at Pep boys. Really works great!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:38 AM

I've got a similar dent on mine, it's been there since I bought it so I can't say how yours got there. There is stress in the crease of the license plate depression holding it in, so I'm not sure a "pop a dent" would work... It may come out and look great and then pop right back in a mile down the road.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:54 AM

Thanks for pointing that out, 843. I'll take a closer look at it.

I called the dealership and their body shop is currently busy. I left a message on their machine to take a look at it and call me back. This is really bothering me

I couldn't find evidence that anything external contacted it. There would more than likely be a rub mark, scuff or something in the area. There isn't. We'll see what they say once I get a hold of them. I hope they help me out.

I took it in before because of excessive rattling when going over undulations in the road. They shimmed the rear fascia or somthing. Its gone now. I also had them adjust my front fascia since it stuck out where it meets the fender. It came back looking the same. I wasn't happy but just wanted to get out of there.

I ended up fixing the fascia sticking out on my own once I installed HIDs. I removed the rivets and pushed the fascia in at the fender and screwed in the 7mm screw at the location on the inside of the fenderwell. It worked fine. You figure they would have at least done that. I also noticed that when I pulled my fascia out to remove it that my eyelets for the spurs was broken. Grrrrrrrrr.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:40 PM

Went to body shop. They said it wouldn't be covered under warranty since it looks like someone hit it. Awesome. Fricken great.

These cars dent as easy as a freaking soda can. My Cobalt SS CAME with dents over the window arches and C pillar. I have to figure something out... either just live with it or try to fix it myself.

I guess I don't blame them for not fixing it. However, I am unable to know for certain whether or not it was there when I bought the car.

I wonder if CO2 will work. Sad face.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:08 PM

Tried CO2... It worked a little bit. At least now its not so noticeable. When I get home, I will retry with a hairdryer first, since its 90 something out I thought it wouldn't matter.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by nacademus
Went to body shop. They said it wouldn't be covered under warranty since it looks like someone hit it. Awesome. Fricken great.

These cars dent as easy as a freaking soda can. My Cobalt SS CAME with dents over the window arches and C pillar. I have to figure something out... either just live with it or try to fix it myself.

I guess I don't blame them for not fixing it. However, I am unable to know for certain whether or not it was there when I bought the car.

I wonder if CO2 will work. Sad face.
The dealer would not cover this as it is not their fault. When buy a car you need to look it over before you pick it up. If not it is upon you to prove it was there when they had it. Odds are it happened later.

All cars today sent very easy as they use light gauge steel to save weight. Most of the weight in cars today are in the sub structure that take the impact and give the 5 start ratings. The body panels are just there to cover it.

Just take it to a paintless dent repair. He will have it fixed in 20 mins or less and you will be perfect again.

We have guy here in Akron called the Dent Gent. This guy has been doing this for over 25 years and is good. I have had him work on several of my cars. I would think your dent would be about $100 to fix and because of the scuff it will look factory new.

Note he does drill holes in the jambs to get to the dents and for leverage to fix them. These holes are filled with plugs similar to rust proofing and few people ever notice them.

Trust me you dent is nothing and can be made good as new with no paint and no major issues. It is the perfect kind of damage for this kind of repair.

I just had 3 dings taken out the the wifes car and it is as good as new.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:26 PM

It has been discussed that there is a known issue with the beauty bar creasing. They would in most cases cover that. This is not from the beauty bar. It appears that someone may have hit my car. I don't expect them to cover it in this case.

As for the paintless dent removal, I will humor it. If my CO2 trials do not work, I may call that person. I am in between jobs at the moment and a hundred bucks is a lot of money right now.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:09 PM

To me it looks as if has been repaired with a not-so-good color match. If so it would be back at the dealer with me pointing it out to them.

Quick Reply: Rear hatch tweaked or dented..?