General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

new to the page

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 05:27 PM

new to the page

Hello all. We have been thinking about getting a new car, but kind of got used to no car payment. We have a 2008 hhr lt with 208000 miles. we have not always been nice to the car, but it has treated us great. What I mean by not being nice, is not changing the oil as much as we should. anyway, we think we would just like to put some money into the hhr, like wheels hubs i'm sure are bad, tune up, new hoses, brakes, tires, windshield, and whatever else it might need. changed the belt and got a new battery within the past year. got over 200000 miles out of the battery. oh yeah a new stereo and speakers also. The only thing that does not work on the car is the stereo and sometimes the turn signal does not turn off. Any ideas on the turn signal? anyway after seeing how many miles some of you are getting out of the hhr, I would like to keep my a few more years. gonna shoot for 300000.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:51 PM
Technical Moderator

Welcome!

A new turn signal stalk is easy to do and fairly cheap. There is a how-to for fixing it
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...nceling-56149/

You probably need new Lower Control Arm bushings, maybe ball joints; you can get complete LCA.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...ol-arms-44378/

Struts & shocks

Tune up is new spark plugs ever 100,000 miles, clean the throttle body.

Sway bar links and bushings.

Are the hubs making noise? They can be had for $45 each, with a bit of shopping.

That's about $600-$800 in parts.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, my thoughts precisely, and maybe a new timing chain !
Old 11-05-2016, 10:18 AM

Myself I am new to the HHR,, but that's because of the last 10 years spent with Pontiac G6 that I so despised having to buy the base model that year to get the Ecotec 2.4,,, only way you could get the 2.4 that year! But glad I did, and why I got the HHR 2LT after 100,000 mi. on the G6. to have the Ecotech in my new ride, to me anyways,, now I have another 2.4! The Pontiac is still same as new,, except the interior w/over 100,000 mi.

I agree with everything extended above, and thank's fer the advice fer mine when the time comes,, but at 28,000 my I got a ways to go!! I don't know if you have ever changed the Trany fluid and filter, but even though I don't run mountainous roads, or tow with the G6, at 200,000 I would change both,, outa love of course! The other thing is the coolant,, thermostat,, and water pump, while doing the timing chain. I will be doing these thing and considering it cheap insurance when and if mine see 200,000!

I almost did the timing chain at 100,000 but am waiting till 150,000 but at 200,000 I know I would give a little loving touch and do a new timing chain, guides tensioner, the work's, and for me a must at 200,000.

I gotta say the oil thing is the main love I show the engine,, Mobile 1 Extreme Performance,, and go by the dic for oil life, as it was setup for petroleum oils not synthetic, I never go over 5000 without a change. My advice is if you want it to go 300,000,,,, keep that oil fresh,, these little engines work harder, and will work longer when they are happy. The other thing is SeaFoam,, a can to the Tank every 20 to 30K and never worry about a clean fuel system or top end, good stuff!! I get lazy once in a while and use Gumout concentrated fuel injector cleaner w/ a tank of premium, 87 octain the rest of the time!

Good luck rooster510 on the road to 300,000K I have no doubt with a little love,, it's doable!
Old 11-05-2016, 12:55 PM
Technical Moderator

A couple of corrections; The OLM is not setup for any "type" of oil. In my experience on 2 HHRs the OLM will give you about 12,000 miles for oil change.

We don't argue about oil change intervals (please), do whatever you want. GM recommends going by the OLM on the DIC.

Use an oil marked "DEXOS" and the weight embossed on the oil filler cap. Use DEXOS even if your Owner Manual does not mention it, GM put out a TSB retroactively changing the designation. Most syn and semi-syn oils are now labelled DEXOS, dino is not.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:24 PM

I am sorry and not trying to argue donbrew, but yes all the DIC's are setup on algorithm's in their computers for what the manufacturer require, or recommend, and not a set amount of miles and can have wide variations in actual mileage from one persons driving habits and conditions to another's.

In this case I stated we change the oil by the dic on the G6, not the HHR, and yes the Pontiac in 2006 I was informed by the dealership came with non synthetic from the factory and all they would use for changes as instructed by GM! I can assure you it is down to 0% long before 7000 miles every time. But be assured long before GM sent bulletins telling their owners to switch to DEXOS minimum lubes,,,,, which Mobile 1 Extended Performance is, I had it in mine first oil change,, it has been a happy 2.4 still @ 101,000mi,,,, if I hyper mile it I can still get 40mpg highway driving on flat calm summer days like on I-69 in Indiana, or the Ohio Turnpike if I keep it around 60 to 65 mph.

I also know in 2006 that some vehicles and their engines that came from GM with Full Synthetic in them, which ones,,, I don't know. But they did so and did have a longer duration between oil changes when driven in similar conditions. At that time my dealer serviced GM vehicles with Valvoline in "dino" lubricated engines,,, and Mobile in Full Synthetic Lubricated engines. Today I am pretty sure all factory engines come with FS from GM.

No argument or I thought it was pretty clear I just stated what I do to keep mine Happy,, that should not be taken as required sorry if you took it that way! If anyone wants to run till it says it exhausted,, hey, thats what they want,, go for it. But with putting just over 900 miles on my HHR since I got it, I have only changed it after replacing what was in it instantly when I bought it with 27,500 mi. on it, so I would not tell anyone how many miles it recommends but I know it is more than 2006 G6 shows on it at this stage of driving when driving it similarly. I will change my mine before the oil life tells me to change it if it is over 7000 miles,, that's just me, but even though they are both 2.4 ecotecs. They are setup different as the 09 is rated for more HP, maybe just programming,, IDK, and my guess is it because the 06 G6 came with dino oil, and the 09 HHR full Synthetic? I say this because it may be why the G6 had a 3 year 36,000 mi. warranty new, and the HHR came with 5 years 100,000 mi warranty.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:50 PM
Technical Moderator

Most shops don't bother to read TSB's. DEXOS was not formulated until 2011, only the SS had a Mobil1 Requirement. TSB 11-00-90-001

If you ask the counterman at NAPA "what kind of ATF for a 2006 HHR" his computer will say Dex III with a TSB number after it. Turns out the TSB says use only dex VI. TSB 04-07-30-037

Those are the original TSB numbers, they add a letter after them each time they update them add the current model year.

" it may be why the G6 had a 3 year 36,000 mi. warranty new, and the HHR came with 5 years 100,000 mi warranty"

Or, it could be that the internals of the casting underwent a major change in 2007 and 2008. Or, it could be it was a sales incentive. Or, it could be one is a Pontiac and the other is a Chevy. Or, a combination of factors.