General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Pre painted online body parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 10:17 PM

Pre painted online body parts

Anyone ever purchases replacement body parts online? I'm looking for a few things and would like to keep price down.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:48 PM
Deceased

The only body parts I've sourced online were either new or "good used" OEM pieces. Some folks here have tried "pattern" parts from online sources and e-bay with mixed results.

Some pieces should only be OEM sourced like the front fenders, even the Genuine GM parts require skill in fitting. It seems that as the HHR's were in production, the body dies didn't hold up well, the tolerances began to slide.

The shop I use, thankfully only once in a blue moon, refuses to install anything but factory body panels on HHR's. The owner still has some interesting things to say about door fitment, fender alignment, and keeping the gaps consistent.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:26 AM

Yeah installed an aftermarket fender on my other hhr and it was a job!
Old 07-19-2014, 06:44 PM

I bought a replacement hood, grille and front bumper cover for my 2007 HHR LS on eBay (from different vendors). I was shopping for the best prices I could find and paid roughly $800 for all 3 components total. The hood was finished in black primer, the grille was the bright faux chrome version as opposed to the satin-finish version that was ruined in a mishap, and the front bumper cover was molded in black plastic. Since my HHR is black, I figured that I could get away with just bypassing a paint job for the new components, but the contrast of the shiny body and the dull finish on the new stuff was too stark, and I ended up paying a real body shop $300 to paint the hood and bumper cover. I also needed an array of new fasteners and those "thingies" that attach the bumper cover to the fenders, so the whole financial outlay was about $1,200. I speculate that I saved quite a bundle versus having the job done entirely by professionals.

I do not recall seeing any body parts offered for sale complete with a clear-coated finish. There is just too much handling to be done from source to finished installation on the vehicle for that to be practical.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:09 PM

Not an HHR but I bought an Asian made S-10 fender and it just would not fit on the truck. Never looked right and inner fender bolt holes did not line up.

Boydie

Originally Posted by Bigpatshhr
Anyone ever purchases replacement body parts online? I'm looking for a few things and would like to keep price down.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:41 AM

Thank y'all for the comments.
Yeah I've bought many different parts and whatnot.
Shoot if anyone of y'all ever had a old chevy and bought aftermarket headlights you'll know the pain of "don't quite line up" lol I'll end up buying all new unfinished and plastidipping it all until I can save for a whole car paint job.