GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

NOW there's a power steering recall on GM vehicles?! No, it's a warranty extension!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 09:40 AM

I experienced the power steering failure last summer. It first happened right when I was pulling out into traffic. I ended up veering into the oncoming lane, but fortunately there was no one driving in that lane at the time!

Anyways, the clunk on my 2007 HHR went away after the dealer replaced my steering column and power steering motor.

What I'm not sure about is whether the warranty will also cover replacement of the steering column, or just the motor. I'm worried that GM will only try to reimburse me for the cost of replacing the power steering motor, but not the steering column, since the press release suggests that the warranty may only apply to the motor. However, at the time of repair the dealer insisted that I also replace the steering column (at great expense) in order to fix the power steering failure. Is there any way to figure out now if the steering column will also be covered? I called my dealer yesterday who told me to call back in a month once the recall is issued. Do I really have to wait another month before I'll find out if this $1000+ repair will be actually reimbursed?

I'm sorry to say I worry that GM is trying to push these problems further into the future when the media and others are not paying such close attention to what they're doing as they are today. I wish I could trust GM on this, but the facts keep me from doing so. When I filed a safety complaint with the NHTSA last year on this issue, I was disheartened to see many other owners experiencing the same issue, yet a complete denial from my dealer that they had ever seen such a problem.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:42 AM

I have had the PS light on a few times, and mine also has the clunk and has had it, though the dealer never could find anything on it. Mine is a 2006.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ImNewHere
I have had the PS light on a few times, and mine also has the clunk and has had it, though the dealer never could find anything on it. Mine is a 2006.
Yeah, wrong thread but I was also told that everything looks good but have a clunk... Dealership says they can't hear anything, I pull out of their parking lot and it sounds like someone getting strike in bowling.

I will have to do the work myself, again because the dealer "can't hear" the problem.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:25 AM

Just curious......If you disconnect the harness from the motor, won't that cause a code? If so, I'd do that and then take it in. Perhaps with a clunk and a code, they'd fix it.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:59 PM

I just had to have the Power Steering Motor replaced on our 2006 HHR about a week ago, before this recall was announced. It had quit on us twice in about ten days. I wonder now if I'll get my money back from GM.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:15 PM

[QUOTE=tylerdrc;742635]
"However, at the time of repair the dealer insisted that I also replace the steering column (at great expense) in order to fix the power steering failure. Is there any way to figure out now if the steering column will also be covered? I called my dealer yesterday who told me to call back in a month once the recall is issued. Do I really have to wait another month before I'll find out if this $1000+ repair will be actually reimbursed?"

Replacing the whole steering column sounds like overkill, unless there was some other problem besides the motor being bad? I just had my motor replaced for $301.53. I paid $100 of it and Ins. paid the rest. Now I'm wondering if it shouldn't have been done for free??
Old 04-02-2014, 04:24 PM

My nephew says he's getting ready to trade his in rather than deal with all of this. He'll probably take a beating on the trade in value......
Old 04-02-2014, 05:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by db/sb
My nephew says he's getting ready to trade his in rather than deal with all of this. He'll probably take a beating on the trade in value......
Actually he should go to autotrader get a trade in quote and the dealership "should" give him $500 over that value per the CEO's testimony towards the purchase of a new GM vehicle.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:45 PM

He doesn't want a GM vehicle. He mentioned Honda/Acura or Nissan.....
Old 04-02-2014, 07:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by db/sb
He doesn't want a GM vehicle. He mentioned Honda/Acura or Nissan.....
Careful, around here that will get you 7 pages of "pile on"

GM is a religion and HHR is it's immaculate child

Quick Reply: NOW there's a power steering recall on GM vehicles?! No, it's a warranty extension!