GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

Sheesh

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 07:41 AM

Sheesh

I don't know why I get slammed (and have the thread closed) for asking for a question and asking for opinions from others regarding a situation I have no experience with.

I had stated that I've never been involved in a recall and asked for suggestions as to what I should do at this point... (call local chevy dealer, wait for letter, etc.) I did so some reading here and have googled and been to chevy's website, etc.

By searching here I'm seeing tales of people being denied repairs. People being told there are no parts, too bad, you'll have to wait. People being given rental cars until there are parts. VERY unclear as to a clear course of action for me. I did reach out to ChevroletCustomer service here.

According to the news, etc. my car is involved (potentially in the steering recall as well). According to Chevy's website, there are NO recalls for my VIN. Also unclear.

I'm am very nervous as I routinely transport my 3 kids on the highway in my only vehicle, my new (to me) HHR.

I do apologize if I started a frivolous thread (and probably just did again). I would disagree at that judgement of the thread and it's intent. But I guess it's not my call.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:07 AM

I think GM is saying that if you take the ign key off the key ring and just use that key by it self. (Pain in the neck) You wont have a problem.
Do you have a local dealer that you can reach out to?
Old 04-03-2014, 08:11 AM
Deceased

The first thing is avoiding panic, and to take internet rumors with a grain of salt.

According to GM it will be April 21st at least before owners are notified of the latest recall extension, please see the linked news report below...

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/id...40328?irpc=932

My best guess is that Chevrolet will take every bit of the next couple of weeks to update the lists of affected VIN's, and that information will then be updated at the Dealerships.

To address your concerns directly with Chevrolet, including courtesy transportation if you truly feel unsafe operating your HHR, I'd contact them at 1-800-512-7300 between 8a and 9p Monday-Saturday.

In the meantime, remember to have only your ignition key and remote keyfob on the keyring, that minimizes any chance of the ignition moving from "Run" to "Off" or "Accessory" due to rough pavement etc.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:38 AM
Administrator

I'd like to just specify that my letter states , to ensure you have just the key and no ring or fob attached to minimize the issue, and GM will contact me when the parts are available, you have nothing to fear but fear itself, as for the steering issue, you will have to go into your dealer and have the issue addressed, if you have not had a code for the PS, then they will not replace the motor, however they will extend the offer to replace the part if and when you have the issue, mine was replaced back in 2011 as I had the light come on.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:16 AM

Thank you! For the replies and suggestions.

Maybe I'm panicking (a little) and worrying for nothing, maybe not. Unfortunately the way my life has gone in the past 5 years, if there is a bad thing that MIGHT happen to someone, I'll get it twice. LOL I really have not much going for me except my kids and being a good Dad to them. The last thing I want to is for them to be hurt in some way. If I crash and burn without them.... whatever.

Since reading about the '06-'07 ignition recall and the heavy keyring thing (in like January), I did get a detachable key chain, and drive with only the key and fob in the ignition. I'll fix it so it's the key only. Unfortunately, I only got the car in December, so have no idea what was done previously.

http://www.gm.com/ignition-switch-recall.html

Thanks again.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:35 AM
Administrator

as Faith Hill once sang, Just Breathe , you'll be just fine, I have all kinds of e-mails from family and friends to stop driving the HHR, well after 154,000 miles, I think a little while longer to have GM replace whatever part, then that's fine, I'll just follow their direction for the key only, and avoid rough roads, now wait with my HHR so low I already do that!!
Old 04-03-2014, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

Sorry you got upset Mike, but this thread shows exactly why the other one was closed. All points covered here, have been covered numerous times in the other "Recall" threads.

Did you read the closing post on that closed thread? If not, please do so, as I thought it explained things very clearly.

Closed.