GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

went to the dealer for the recall...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 07:59 AM

went to the dealer for the recall...

didnt think this had i direct link to the recall situation. just thought that it was a dealer only issue.

i went to the dealer on thursday after work to find out how to exactly handle the recall. well the salesman advised me since i got the letter everything was fine just bring the car down on Sat and everything would be fine. so i just left. to confirm that i didnt need anything else, i called the dealer the next day i was told itll be fine just come down, the earlier the better just bring it before 12.

so i get there about 7:20a they open at 7:30a parked my car went in. GREAT i was 2nd online. well then the rep told me that i needed to bring the car around back and wait there only he was scheduled and they are real busy. FINE i go back to the car i proceed to drive it out back & 4 more cars showed up. ok i wait some more after all they didnt know that i was there.

after waiting outside a bit i got to wait some more inside for awhile now behind 6 people. he asked if we all had appointments. when he got to me, of course i didnt i was told to just bring the car down. he asked me why i was down and i explained he said with an attitude, well " i can only help u 9-5 during the week i am real busy right now" i told him this is the only day of the week that i can take care of this. then left the room the finish up a report for a customer. i did some loud complaining in the waiting room he must've heard me and had second thoughts. he came in and i told him when i called this is what they told me to do. his demeanor changed a bit and told me that the rental co dznt open until about 9. have a seat and he will help me when the line goes down. well he did finally get me into a rental. but i got home at about 10:15a. 3 hrs just to take care of this and a bit of complaining. now if i was some younger kid he wouldve scared me off or taken him at face value with the way he acted and his answer.

i think the staff at this dealer needs to be trainned in their handling of this matter. if i ever said this to one of my customers and it got back to management i wouldnt be there much longer. first the people on the phones have to know the procedure, then the dealer needs to have more people on duty that can handle things during this time and the staff on duty need to approach matters better. after all us customers didnt ask for this to happen it has been thrust on us and therefore them since their executives had held this info to themselves for the past decade!!!

but again so far it is resolved for now. just had to vent a bit.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:20 AM
Deceased

Well the dealer may need an attitude adjustment, or they are overwhelmed by the amount of recall inquires.

You may want to give Chevrolet's Customer Service Division a call at 1-800-512-7300, they are in the office from 8a-9p Monday to Saturday.

Or you can send a PM to ChevroletCustomerService right here on the forum, and they'll address the issue.

P.S. Moved this into the Recall Forum, just because we're trying to keep recall related issues in one place
Old 04-06-2014, 09:58 AM

I'm under the impression that dealerships will call us when the part becomes available.
Is this not the case, and we have to be proactive about getting the new part?
Old 04-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by bowtieboy68
I'm under the impression that dealerships will call us when the part becomes available.
Is this not the case, and we have to be proactive about getting the new part?
No, just follow the info provided by GM in the notice you received, or in the press bulletins.

OP: that delay you encountered was exactly why I try and avoid dropping in at a dealers without a specific appointment made ahead of time. They are typically in an overload situation processing the early morning bookings.

But glad they got it taken care of in the end.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Technical Moderator

Why not just read the letter that you say you got? I know it says something about the parts not being available until the middle of April. As I write this it is 4/6/14, not the middle of the month by any measure.

The SALESMAN you talked to cannot speak for the SERVICE department, he was trying to get you off of the phone. Many times the 2 departments are really different companies in the same building. Can you imagine how many ill tempered and misinformed people are showing up and/or calling them?

Am I not understanding something?
Old 04-08-2014, 11:46 PM

WE DONT have the parts yet. We will fix your car. YOU ARE only hearing 1 side of a story . I own an HHR and I am keeping it. PLEASE give your dealer a chance we are here to help. But alot of people are beeing very nasty to us and being very unreasonable. When we get the some of the 2.6 million ign switches we will fix your car. Sorry my turn to vent. It takes time to make new switches do you want them rushed so there not right. Give GM and your dealer a chance to repair your car. And remember YOU HAVE ONLY heard ONE side of the story. Im in the trenches every day.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:19 AM
Platinum Member

Well said thumper!!
Old 04-09-2014, 01:33 AM
Deceased

Bravo thumper!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:15 AM

I have not received a letter yet. Called a local dealer spoke with the Service Manager. Just told him what was going on. He asked if I was having any symptoms (I'm not)... told me about the keychain thing.

He did say that they are getting a lot of calls, he thought it was because the media was saying that dealers would begin to do the repairs on April 7th... but they have no parts yet !

He did ask me to bring my car down, let them write it up, put in an order for the parts... then they will call me when they arrive to schedule the work.

Well said Thumper - Echoed what my Service Manager told me: they will take care of it, but they just don't have the parts yet!

To the OP: Wow! That morning must have been frustrating. It seems like you had done the right thing by calling twice... but you can kinda see the other side too, like Donbrew said probably a salesperson told you to come down and we'll take care of you, which is probably their standard line. They probably didn't even hear the recall part... But that's wasn't someone in Service saying that (not that you would have known that though)....

Anyway, glad it is getting taken care of. Are you just keeping the rental for the next week(s) until the part comes in? Is that the plan?

Last edited by mikelikestobike; 04-09-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by l78thumper
WE DONT have the parts yet. We will fix your car. YOU ARE only hearing 1 side of a story . I own an HHR and I am keeping it. PLEASE give your dealer a chance we are here to help. But alot of people are beeing very nasty to us and being very unreasonable. When we get the some of the 2.6 million ign switches we will fix your car. Sorry my turn to vent. It takes time to make new switches do you want them rushed so there not right. Give GM and your dealer a chance to repair your car. And remember YOU HAVE ONLY heard ONE side of the story. Im in the trenches every day.
thumper. you are not reading my post correctly. i am not an antagonist, in these issues at least. i do not expect parts in immediately to fix their situation. i did not say anything about getting rid of my HHR. i perfectly understand the situation and i am not forceful in regards to this. we both have a reason to be angry at this situation me for being lied to and taken advantage of. after all the co knew of this issue 10yrs ago and DID NOT try to fix it nor did they acknowledge it. and you to have customers treat you disrespectfully. but remember you are the go between in these situations the customers do not have direct access to the executives so they vent their angers and frustrations on you.

Quick Reply: went to the dealer for the recall...