HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

HHR SS Story

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:20 PM

HHR SS Story

We all have a story behind how we bought our HHR SS, so here's mine:

Traded in my 07 Golden Teal LT with 79950 miles. After a trip back from Costco, the wife and I were getting on the FWY and passing the Chevy dealership as we entered. Saw it sitting there all by it's lonesome, kind of an ominous feeling as it sat there, the last black 2010 HHR SS on the lot and sitting on the end of the row of a gang of Camaros.

We have 4 cars between the two of us. Mine: The LT and a 1980 Porsche Targa. Her's: a '98 Z28 and a '08 Yaris. We decided to downsize to two, so, she was interested in an '11 Camaro SS and I the HHR SS.

We went home, talked a bit and came BACK. She did not like the Camaro, she liked her's better and realized that the Yaris was better to cart around her grand kid. So she said, "I'm keeping my two and so it's just you."

The SS sat for so long that the batt was drained; nothing that a jump would not cure. Drove it and was ready to give them the keys to the 07. However, I had to run home and get the Targa out of the garage. Parked it next to the SS. Black car against black car. I wonder what they were saying to each other???

We did the deal and one of the dealer's salesmen rode home with us in the SS to pick up the LT I drove back home to get the Targa. Now I've got the best of both worlds, a fast car and a practical car. It's funny; I wasn't planning on buying a car that day.

Because I "combined" the two, (Trading in my 07 LT and black Targa) my Lic plate now reads: "PORSHHR."

What's your story??
Old 01-27-2011, 10:30 PM

Well I have kinda said it before But I will take my time. I had a VR 09 LT2 with 19k miles on it. I loved it. Well a fellow member DJR1973 was talking about trading in his Silverstone LT2 for a silverstone SS, which he did later that month. So I was thinking it would be really funny if I traded my VR for a VR SS. So with help from people on here I tracked down an 08 VR SS with only 6000 miles on it. I spent some time at the dealership haggling over the price but it had all the option I wanted and it was low miles and it only cost me a little more per month. I have plans for it already and I will probably be a lifer with this SS cause it is so cool.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:20 PM

So gas was 4.25 in the summer of '08. I wasn't planning on getting rid of my 96 bird, and with a v6 5 speed, she wasn't bad on gas but I'd thought about another kid and the fact that a firebird and a wrangler were not very practical kid friendly cars. I was slightly tempted by the HHR 1 LT for a family ride but didn't like how sluggish it was. Went shopping for another HHR and found the SS. Knew it wasn't practical for winter but found a car that could hold 2 car seats and be faster than my 'bird. Done deal.
My only regret is how bad the resale is... I'm not ditching the HHR but wish I had options after 3 years.
Jim
Old 01-28-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by datedd
We all have a story behind how we bought our HHR SS. What's your story??
Seen it. Wanted it. Bought it. Dealership got in a Sunburst Orange SS and that is all it took. Traded in my '07 Black HHR LT for it on the spot
Old 01-28-2011, 06:51 AM

07 TB SS lease was due back in 2010 so I decided I wanted something smaller for better MPG and less sticker price cause I was going to buy. Bam HHR SS fit the bill.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:45 AM

Not trying to sound like Nicky Nitpicker, but I think the threadstarter was looking for stories about how owners wound up getting their SSes, not LTs or LSes. Just sayin'...

Anyway, I've told my story before, but I'll tell the abridged version here: I was driving my wife's Nissan 2.5S, and though it was reliable, it was an automatic (I really missed driving stick), and it was simply boring. I had always liked HHRs, but when I started researching them and saw the SSes, I became intrigued. When I saw an Aqua Blue version sitting in a Lowe's parking lot, that cinched it. I usually like blue cars, and originally started looking at Blue Flash Metallics, but as soon as I saw a Victory Red in person, with the red and black interior, I decided to go that route. Test drove one on a lot in Allentown, PA, brought my wife the following day so she could see it (she didn't love it, but knew I would be the one driving it), then bought it on the spot...a few days later it was mine. Been loving every minute in it ever since.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:08 PM

Devils95 is right only SS stories please since this is the SS forum.
Thanks folks, keep them comin' if you have more!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:34 PM

well excuse the heck out of me.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:38 PM
Deceased

Post deleted.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:28 PM
Uma

Originally Posted by bk94si
well excuse the heck out of me.
Too funny!! I was going to post also, it seems us regular guys have to make sure that we do not invade the SS forum. Todd (Uma)

Quick Reply: HHR SS Story