HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

are problems about to rise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR
Why do boost threads always end in arguments?
Not getting an argument from me. The only people who need the boost gauge are those who choose to race their vehicles and need something to brag about. The everyday driver need not worry to much about it.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR
Why do boost threads always end in arguments?
I think people see a tiny difference and get worried. People shouldn't worry unless it reads all over the place or a check engine light comes on. Burning Oil and all kinds of things to look at other than the Boost, Tach, and Speedometer. Coolent gages are sometimes off as well.

Different factors affect the Turbo and the way a car runs and drives. Some people might notice that their cars are faster in the morning compaired to the hot day time. Cars are faster in the winter than the summer. Temp plays a big roll in how a car runs and dyno numbers especially with Turbo and Supercharged motors. Stop worrying about it and learn the vehicle you drive. If something starts to not work right or behaves in a not so normal way, take it to the dealership and have the warrenty work.

The only problem I have to get taken care of so far is the Tire Pressure system. The tire loses air about every 2 weeks and kicks on the Low tire pressure light. Warrenty
Old 09-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Founding Member

I have never brought this up before, but GM states The turbocharger is capable of producing up to 20 psi, or 1.40 bar, of power-enhancing boost. And under the boost gage operation it states the maximum boost pressure is about 83 kPa (12 psi).
Old 09-24-2008, 02:50 PM

Thank Guys!

I love my little black SS and I appreciate all the help understanding the workings of my SS. I am a Scenic Designer by trade and my SS like my designs make a statement. Engine savy I am not, and after following the forums on a 3 or 4 times a day since June, I am a little concerned over the entry level aspects of our engines as it seems many poeple are having problems with IC piping, vacumn tubes, TSB brakes, etc. So any help that other members can convey to me is greatly appreciated.......
Old 09-24-2008, 02:52 PM

I wasn't seeing any arguments either....
I do think that there are huge differences in experience and knowledge with people on this site and when someone with less of either of both asks a question that is obvious to those with more of both, they sometimes get annoyed.
I feel that this site has a great wealth of knowledge and is the reason so many of us have joined. I know I have been helped with several problems, and have asked some questions that others may have felt are obvious (or just dumb), but I will keep asking until I get someone who doesn't mind taking the time to "teach" us less experienced.

As far as the boost gauge goes, it is not necessary to drive the car but IMO it is cool. Most of us who buy an SS like some of the bells and whistles, including the boost gauge. I will be adding aftermarket parts to increase HP and the gauge can tell us if they are working in some cases. AS far as being accurate, it is probably accurate enough for a stock engine. Heck my speedo is off by 2mph (compared to the GPS), but is close enough...

I hope the original poster has got the answer he was looking for?
Old 09-24-2008, 03:00 PM

I use teh boost gauge for mileage. It helps me get 38+ on the highway, other than that its utterly usless to me. If I floor it in third, i goo realll fast. Thats all I care about. :)
Old 09-24-2008, 05:37 PM

Pontiac has been smart all along. In the 3800 SC cars it was either an + or - with a needle or a electronic bar line in my 04 GTP.

That way you have no idea what you have and never worry about it unless it never moves.

I don't mean this to offend but I know a few have has some problems but some folks are getting just plain paranoid.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by pappa_smurf
yep, you're right on that. I just mention it so people quit looking at the boost gauge. But with the 5-speed, you either go by sound or the tach for shifting. When cruising I lock in the cruise control by the rpm I'm at and not the speedometer. I went to bigger than stock wheels and tires, so the speedo is reading about 2 mph's on the high side. I went from P195/65 R15's to P235/45 R17's.
I highly recommend a shift light. I have a ot of experience with driving manual V-8's and can "shift by ear" just fine, but I sure got tired of hitting the rev limiter in 1st and occasionally second gear with the HHR, even watching the tach (which is unreasonably distracting IMHO). I love that big bright light, and no more dreaded rev-limiter bog.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:11 PM

I hit the rev limiter in 2nd once getting on the freeway. I have never hit it in first. I don't usually get up past 4000 in first ever.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:22 PM

Talking

I've hit the rev limiter in 1st - 2 or 3 times , and in 2nd once or twice . it sucks. Whats it take to install a shift light ? Easy, hard ? I want one. Thanks for any input.

Quick Reply: are problems about to rise?