HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

SS Battle Scars / Post them here

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Premium Member

You might consider a good used SS. If you decide to go another way I could be interested is the winter set of wheels and tires. Let me know what you want.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by 08blackHHRSS
DANG! Forgot about that piece of "special" .
I'll ask where it's at now (State Farm yanked it outa the "pay by the day" lot on Monday and took it to their freebie lot to go over it) when I put in a call today b4 the weekend when they prob don't do anything to see if any progress other than the "it's in the adjuster's lap now" info I got yesterday.

Yup, the pics prob convey'd a good idea as to the damage, but to see it in the daylight the day after,when all I had to see was that nite really put things in perspective.Not that I'd [I]really[I] want to see a video of how it went down (tho there is none), part of me would like to see a version of how things occured other than my at the wheel side of things.

Like I mentioned, the intial impact on the "curb" divider that set off the air bag, was the hardest jolt, everthing after that was in slo-mo and "soft" so to speak. I woulda thought I'd remember the SS airborne landing against the divider fence and following ground landing. I WAS awake for it all, just recall the airborne "ride " being slow n soft, no hard impacting at all. And when I got my bearings and found I was upside down the seat belt release worked flawlessly,thumped onto roof interior and prob part of a seat since it was sorta on it side and a bit upside down and since I had the sunroof open/back I had a way out w/out @ ground level and not having to grab broken window tint film'd front door window glass and have to climb out the "top".

UPDATE!
In the middle of all this typin' got a call from State Farm,the SS IS total'd (good/bad i guess), and they valued it price =wise VERY high IMO considering it had 100k+ on the odo) The gal said the adjuster noted "Vehicle was very well taken care of" DUH (LOL, of course it was, it was a SS )
And with a value and the gap insure getting the remainder of the loan paid off, I STILL end up getting a decent amount of $$ left over to down payment on my next set of wheels (Damn the luck that SS's are not made anymore )
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-...-HHR-SS-t35727

It's a start...
Old 09-16-2011, 08:59 PM

I have been in two bad crashes and it is amazing how time slows when you recall most of it.

I do note when my Airbag went off there was a blank as it knocks you for a loop and kind of stuns you till you feel the burns and the stink of the bag. The adrenilne get pumping and you just feel numb.

I suspect when the bags blew you were well on your way over and it just kind to blanked it out till they deflated once you were most of the way back on over.

There are a lot of good used ones out there with lower miles. Might give it a look.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
I do note when my Airbag went off there was a blank as it knocks you for a loop and kind of stuns you till you feel the burns and the stink of the bag. The adrenilne get pumping and you just feel numb.

I suspect when the bags blew you were well on your way over and it just kind to blanked it out till they deflated once you were most of the way back on over.
Mine went off when I first hit the divider curb, and combined with the solid hit of it and the bag going off I really did not notice either separately but combined. Can't say I noticed it coming at me or stink/burn or powder from it(think the powder thing was from earlier generations)
But like you said, it was soon after doing my air borne part of my "show" and that is when things went in slo-mo and can't say I recall anything after the curb hit being violent as far as impact'ish, even when I hit the fencing/concrete divider combo,or even when I landed back on the ground, hood's nose on the ground and the rest on a uphill angle against the fence/divider. I would almost say that everything afer the curb impact was "soft".Mighta been due to the slow speed of everything overall, 'specially since a lot of the speed when it all started at was taken away from the first curb hit.

Left upper arm is still kinda sore, kind of prob starting in the shoulder area on down,and the forehead skin flap thing being it was a crap sewing job by the ER doc ,confirmed by my ER nurse wife and 4 days later by the plastic surgeon (who said it was too late to do much of anything to fix the hack job, and basically removed the 7 left out the orig 9 stitches (yes 2 came off 'tween early Thurs am and Mon afternoon ) and gave me instructions on how to lessen the scarring as it heals . Prob will have a lasting reminder of all this every time i look in the mirror til i die, but the thing that roasts my butt is the guy that caused all this got away scott-free with mebbe only a "oh crap, I did that" as he paid his toll and scooted on down the road .This is one time I REALLY hope karma comes to him,HARD.
Still waiting to get that call from the State police or whoever, saying they got the guy (and gives me 5 minutes alone with him )
Old 07-26-2013, 11:17 AM

hit a raccoon put a hole in my lower grill took out my intercooler, the air condencer and cracked the radiator $2100 damage