"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Backlit Window Buttons

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 06:30 PM

This is one of my favorite mods, three years+ and still working great!
Old 10-22-2016, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
This is one of my favorite mods, three years+ and still working great!
HAS anyone still active here at HHR done this mod. I saw a couple videos posted (but they now lead to dead links).
The initial post showed now the lighting was attached; but didn't show it being wired for power.
I was wanting to know where you got the lighting and how it came.
I have saw some that are batter operated (AA or D. etc).
Do you purchase this and then modify it to plug directly into the fuse box.
I also read somewhere that you have to have an "inverter"; but the post is so old I didn't know if things have changed.
I was thinking about doing the mod to back light the window buttons, and while I am am it run some matching lights up under the dash to help illuminate the floor board a bit. I figured I could tie it in all at once in the same place.
Just wanting some direction from some folks that have done this.
SA FAR I haven't been able to find anywhere to walk in and buy any lighting like this; so I'm also curious where you may have purchased it.
THANKS
Old 10-22-2016, 05:48 PM
Technical Moderator

Did you read all of post #1. Especially the part with the photo of the fuse to connect to? And the link to the product? (that would be the red underlined "This"http://www.crutchfield.com/S-HBjBi1jXyLM/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=turquoise&i=546EL5TQ)
Old 10-22-2016, 06:06 PM

yeah - I read it - every word.
Things got out of kilter when he said he didn't want to connect to the cars wiring (which I had planned to do)
Then he went on to say he didn't recommend wiring it that way he showed (which was to the fuse box)... so that sort of messed up the "how to connect it" part.

ALSO if YOU checked the link he provided - it clearly states "This item is NO longer available" SO don't be so condescending and act like I didn't investigate before asking.

And like you stated about when I mentioned resistors on the LED lighting; you stated all that had changed over the years; so that is why I asked about if you had to still use an inverter or what - since it's been 10 years and things could be different.

IT'S GREAT to have all this info; but when it gets so old and things change; it STILL causes people to ask questions as to if the info is current or out-dated.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:23 PM
Technical Moderator

Ok.

Littel Fuse Add-A-Circuit*

*which I don't recommend for this car

Note the asterisk.

Never mind.