General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Blue LED Window Buttons.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 01:23 AM

Blue LED Window Buttons.....

Illuminated Window Buttons.....

Blue LED's installed in window buttons.....

Name:  buttons.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  23.4 KB

Name:  100_1864.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  19.5 KB

I sure wish I knew how to take better night photos.....
Old 09-28-2007, 03:24 AM

dnt it look so much better all blue good job
Old 09-28-2007, 07:03 AM

Nice. How did you do it and what led's (type and voltage) were used.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:23 AM

Changing the display from greenish to blue is something I have wanted to do since I bought my HHR. Yours looks even better than I had imagined. So in your opinion is this a mod easily done for a novice? Is it just a matter of replacing LED bulbs or is there more to it than that? My concern lies mostly in the radio and how difficult it is to change. The more I see of yours, the more I want to attempt to change mine over. Looks great

BTW I have already changed the LED in the headliner to high intensity blue and love it. Now I just need to complete the look.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:59 AM

Looks Great!
Old 09-28-2007, 08:22 AM

So did you just splice into the wiring for the other lights? Great idea! I've been reluctant to tear my HHR apart but this would be worth it. Thanks!
Old 09-28-2007, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by crowbar
dnt it look so much better all blue good job
I'll say, way better in blue....I'm not a big fan of blue, but that aqua green was bad....well you know the pictures just don't do this mod justice....you have to see it in person to really appreciate it....lol...Thanks for the
Old 09-28-2007, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by an08HHR
Nice. How did you do it and what led's (type and voltage) were used.
I first drilled 1/16" holes in the bottom of the buttons for the light to come through. I only had 5mm 3 watt LED's left so thats what I used. I sanded the tops flat for clearance and for better light distribution. I would recommend getting the smaller 3mm they would fit better. I then took the buttons off and hot glued them to the underside of the button right behind the drilled hole, put them back on and wired them in series so I didn't have to try and fit resistors in there also. Put everthing back together and wire up ground and 12v source.

Name:  100_1846.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  75.8 KB

Name:  100_1845.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  47.1 KB

Name:  100_1851.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  73.8 KB
Old 09-28-2007, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by mizzouHHR
Changing the display from greenish to blue is something I have wanted to do since I bought my HHR. Yours looks even better than I had imagined. So in your opinion is this a mod easily done for a novice? Is it just a matter of replacing LED bulbs or is there more to it than that? My concern lies mostly in the radio and how difficult it is to change. The more I see of yours, the more I want to attempt to change mine over. Looks great

BTW I have already changed the LED in the headliner to high intensity blue and love it. Now I just need to complete the look.
The radio can be pretty tricky. You have to remove alot of pieces to get to where the surface mount LED's are. If you are decent at tearing things apart and remembering how they go back you should be ok. Thanks for the

Regards.....
Old 09-28-2007, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
So did you just splice into the wiring for the other lights? Great idea! I've been reluctant to tear my HHR apart but this would be worth it. Thanks!
Yes, Pin #1 on the plug that goes to the back of the switch is 12v switched. I don't mind the LED's being on while the car is running. I doubt that they will ever burn out and you can't see them during the day, so instead of finding a wire that only came on at night I opted to take the easy route...lol.....Pin #8 is the ground for the switch,(what I used) you can either tap into that or naturally find another place to gound...regards

Quick Reply: Blue LED Window Buttons.....