Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

(Tap Tap) Hello? Is thing on? What a Great Audience!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 11:09 PM

(Tap Tap) Hello? Is thing on? What a Great Audience!

Hey folks!

I'm a first time HHR owner, but a second time owner in the model...I had a '07 Cobalt prior, and loved it. I needed a daily driver, and didn't want to spend >$5000, as I'm paying off a '15 Challenger R/T+ and a '15 Silverado LTZ Z71.

Well, I picked up the Mystery Machine (2007 LT, 2.2L) back in October w/77,500 Miles on it for $4,000. Had a little rattle up front, so here's what's been done to it since I've owned it:

K&N Filter..I looked on here, and figured the CAI would be a waste of money..my live sensor readout tells me that between ambient temp and intake temp, there's only ~4 degrees difference...I can't imagine a CAI would do much better

K&N Cabin Filter
NGK Plugs
Centric Calipers/Rotors/Pads
Moog Tie rods, inner/outer
Moog Sway Bar links
OEM Sway Bar Bushings
Gabriel Front Struts
Gabriel Rear Shocks
Moog Cam Bolts
Lower Control Arms
Generic ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII
Torque Pro for Android
Jensen VX7020 Head Unit (had to be inexpensive..and it rocks)
Boss BX45 Signal Processor
2x Boss 400w x 4 Power Amps
4x Kicker 6.5" 3-way (Doors)
2x Boss 4" 2-Way Speakers (Back Pillars)
12" + 250W MTX Sub/Amp Combo
DBLink 4F Capacitor
Every light in the car (except headlights) are LED's
I plasti-dipped the grille Anthracite Grey
Scooby-Doo Floor Mats

(Pauses to catch breath in fingers)

Still to go:

Another set of speakers...if I can find somewhere to put 'em.
Focal F05 Rims
Goodyear "Assurance Touring" Tires...I needed 80K treadwear
Trailer Hitch
Drivers side sun visor

With my trip into work tonight, I cleared 90,500 miles...so 13k down in 118 days.

I do have a a question for everyone, if they've bothered to read this far down my manifesto:

Has anyone towed with with their HHR? I'm planning on taking a very long trip early this summer towing a 540lb motorcycle on a 320lb trailer. I'm going to be carrying some camping gear as well, so that the Payload in the vehicle should be ~400 lb (of 900) So I'm good there. I'm more or less just wondering what sort of speeds I'll be limited to. I know going up through the mountains in Tennessee and Montana/Idaho/Washington/California/et. al. I'll have to keep it lower and watch my transmission temp, but across Indiana/Minnesota/South Dakota/Kansas, with ne'er a hill in sight, do you think it's prudent to keep it ~60?

Thanks tons, folks!
~Joe
Attached Thumbnails (Tap Tap) Hello? Is thing on? What a Great Audience!-20151024_182453.jpg  

Last edited by joeescott72; 02-08-2016 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Bad Math: Forgot Control Arms
Old 02-08-2016, 02:01 AM
Platinum Member

Hello - Hello - 10-4 we copy!!!!

And Welcome - nice looking 2007 you got there. And what a list of changes/mods/upgrades you've already done.

Yeah, a few members tow trailers - most follow the guidelines in the owners manual regarding the max of 1000 lbs for trailer and it's load. There is a good write-up in the Owners manual on towing - see page 277. If you don't have an Owners Manual, or want one to download for your phone/tablet/computer, check out this link: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...s-manual-3074/

As per that section in the manual re towing a trailer:
• Obey speed limit restrictions when towing a trailer. Do not drive faster than the maximum posted speed for trailers, or no more than 55 mph (90 km/h), to save wear on your vehicle’s parts.
• Do not tow when the outside air temperature is above 100°F (38°C).
• Do not tow more than 1,000 miles (1 600 km) per year.

If you are wanting to check out what other owners have discussed regarding towing a trailer, give the SEARCH TOOL at the top/center of the page - just look for trailer or towing. This thread has some good points regarding the weight of trailer + the amount of cargo in the vehicle you might want to check - https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...rvation-37119/

Have fun - enjoy the site, and keep us posted on your changes to your 2007.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:06 AM

Welcome to the site
Old 02-08-2016, 02:13 AM

Thanks tons for the online manual...I looked all over but could only find the '08 version...I'll put that on my tablet (which stays in the car 24/7).

I'm just a bit nervous now...my road trip is supposed to be 6500 miles, and the manual says "no more than 1000 miles per year".

But then again, it's never towed before, and it's 8 years old, so that means I've saved up 8000 miles, right? Right? Right? (help me out here) RIGHT?

(chirp chirp go the crickets)

What do you MEAN it doesn't work that way?

OK, what I'll do is take it easy. I'm already mulling over the idea of transmission cooling, so we'll see what happens.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:34 AM
Platinum Member

LOL - if it was me (my personal opinion only).................. I wouldn't worry about it too much -I've towed a small tent/cargo trailer for probably 20-30,000+ miles behind my motorcycle (~420lb axle weight on the trailer - 45-50 lb tongue weight).

Just watch the weight of trailer + the weight of the car's cargo, including the driver. Really watch out for braking capability (make sure your rear brakes are properly adjusted, otherwise the fronts can easily run too hot, likely warping the rotors). Oh, a quick search will also give some good tips on hitches as well as wiring up the hitch/trailer.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:12 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site. Nice looking trucklet.

One thing that caught my eye on your parts list. NGK plugs. It's been discussed and debated over the years, but the fact is that most HHR's don't seem to work well with off brand plugs. Everything from CEL's to performance issues have been noted.
Best to stick with the AC Delco Iridiums when replacing plugs.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:52 AM

The main reason I went to NGK was that back in my '07 Cobalt, I'd run the midrange plugs and had actually gotten a bit of snap out of it.

I've been running them for 12k, and actually got the recommendation for those particular plugs from a performance board for the Slingshots (I almost bought one), it was one of the "inexpensive" upgrades.

I haven't noticed any issues since the plugs were installed, well, other than it isn't as sluggish as it was. I don't know what my decent 0-60 is, because my tires are bald as a baby's butt, but I know that my crappy 0-60 was slightly less crappy afterwards, but still crappy.

I didn't buy it for 0-60...I have the Challenger and the CB1100 for 0-60. I got it for the 33 MPG I get out of it on a regular basis...and that it can drag the aforementioned CB1100 around the country with glee.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site! X2 on the NGK's , AC Delco 41-103's work best!
And as you're concern about towing and overheating! Drain the rad , swap in an AC Delco thermostat ( please don't waste your time and money on the aftermarket! And a fresh fill of Dexcool! Here's a great how to from Smokewagon.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...l-p0128-24493/
Old 02-08-2016, 06:56 AM

Welcome to the Site.
Nice looking ride Congrats

Dang i thought i was doing a bunch of miles
110k in bout 4 yrs.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:34 AM
Technical Moderator

Trans coolers cost about $50 fairly easy to install. A couple of bleeding knuckles. Even easier if you get the radiator adapters, it turns out the ones they say work for GM but don't list HHR is the right one.

Like this one, there are cheaper ones:
http://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/a...8979_350273_0/

Last edited by donbrew; 02-08-2016 at 02:38 PM.

Quick Reply: (Tap Tap) Hello? Is thing on? What a Great Audience!