Chevy HHR Network Forums
Search

Welcome to the Chevy HHR Network forums. The Chevy HHR Network is the leading resource for Chevy HHR owners.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Register Forgot Password?
-
Go Back   Chevy HHR Network > General Discussion > Problems/Service/Repairs > "check charge system" On DIC
-

Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 09:49 PM   #1

Member #: 3298
Check out my gallery 
"check charge system" On DIC

So I just left town for a two hour trip tonight and a four hour trip in the morning,as we leave I get a" check charge system" on the DIC. The car started a slight whinning noise this morning but was unable to locate exactly from where, now im thinking my alt.
It goes off at higher speeds (RPMS) and only pops on for a minute now and then. Im obviously thinking alt or battery either way I should make it to my destination tonight.
Im traveling as I type so any help would be greatly appreciated. Anyone have experience with this message yet? I searched and found nothing,
Thanks

Jim & Michelle, Proud owners of FIJI
06 Daytona Blue HHR 2LT
Born/Built Date: July Sixth Two Thousand and Five
Completed mods: Side VentVisors, Tinted Headlights, DVD Headrests, Smoothies Lock Knobs, 3 Bar Grille, Flamed Emblems, Flamed Air Intake and Fuse Box Cover, Portholes on Hood, Pinstripe, All Blue L.E.Ds Inside, Shaved Rear Wiper, Flowmaster muffler and Gen 1 Goldlines!
R CA HHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:09 PM   #2

Member #: 13699
Check out my gallery 
Have not had that warning, but "whining" noise usually means Alternator, or specifically the "diodes". I would not count on too many miles, and a restart.
donbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #3
Administrator

Member #: 21740
Check out my gallery 
I'm thinking its a possible alternator failure since you described a whirring noise, but that doesn't discount a battery failure either. Since you're out in California and things are still open, I'd stop at an Advance or other auto parts store to have them pull the codes and check out the charging system. Since you have an '06 the battery is probably getting close to the end of its service life, we just changed the battery out in our '06 with 86,000 miles on the clock.

One caveat, GM alternators aren't made of very sturdy stuff these days and the diode packs can be killed as the alternator struggles to charge a bad battery, so you can end up with a dead alternator on top of everything else.

I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives. - Billy Connolly
843de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:50 PM   #4

Member #: 5120
Check out my gallery 
agree with 883. because the hhrs don't have a volt gauge you can't tell if its charging or just low charging. if its charging at a low rate you my be able to limp home if you turn off all your accesories. if you have it checked at an auto parts store and it is charging some I would buy a plug in voltage gauge so you can monitor the voltage for the trip home. good luck
Old 04-15-2011, 11:05 PM   #5

Check out my gallery 
Thanks guys for confirming my suspicions. I work at one of those parts places I test this kinda crap all day so I figured the old bath probably over worked the alt and both are probably in need of replacing now.
I got about an hour left of my trip and am hopping ill make it as im in some heavily wooded area in nor cal and am about to loose reception. I called the people im going to visit and they are gonna come get us if we don't make it by a certain time.
Life shouldn't be boring right, this is just another adventure!
Ill check back when I get service again, thanks all.

06 Daytona Blue HHR 2LT
Completed mods: Side VentVisors, Tinted Headlights, DVD Headrests, Smoothies Lock Knobs, 3 Bar Grille, Flamed Emblems, Flamed Air Intake and Fuse Box Cover, Portholes on Hood, Pinstripe, All Blue L.E.Ds Inside, Shaved Rear Wiper, Flowmaster muffler and Gen 1 Goldlines!
Old 04-15-2011, 11:08 PM   #6
Administrator

Check out my gallery 
10-4, let us know if you made it OK.

I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives. - Billy Connolly
Old 04-16-2011, 12:28 AM   #7

Check out my gallery 
We made it. Ill be putting in an BAL in the morn and at least testing the battery. 96000 on the clock by the way.

06 Daytona Blue HHR 2LT
Old 04-16-2011, 12:42 AM   #8
Administrator

Check out my gallery 
Glad you made it, with 96k on the clock you're probably due for a battery.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #9

Member #: 20395
Check out my gallery 
A whine sounds like bearings in the alternator or one of the pulleys on the serpentine belt. It also could be brushes in the alternator worn down to the wire leads. At 96K it's made a lot of revolutions.
Don06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:38 AM   #10

Check out my gallery 
Yup, alt was the issue. I tested the battery and it was good after only 5mins of charging. I installed a new alternator and am mid way on our 2 hour journey home, and with no issues. Ill put in a new battery in a couple weeks anyway as I am aware that 6 years on the stock batt is pretty good.

06 Daytona Blue HHR 2LT
Old 04-17-2011, 12:38 AM

submit to reddit