Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Door locks unlock randomly

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 10:07 PM

Door locks unlock randomly

For months my 2009 Chevy HHR doors would unlock by themselves. We would come out of a store and find the car unlocked itself. I surfed the web and found some people had fixed a similar problem by replacing the master switch on the driver's side door, so I replace mine. It seemed to help but did not cure the problem. It was solved by taking the battery out of the remote control. Somehow it was sending false signals to the car and unlocking it. It never locked the car, only unlocked it. I chose to remove the battery from it because the little thing throws out a signal strong enough to unlock the car when the keys are hung up in the house. So far, so good. Who would have thought that would be the trouble?
Old 02-15-2017, 12:47 AM
Platinum Member

No, that is not the trouble. It isn't a false signal.

$'s to donuts, if you check the inside of the remote, you will find that the rubber keypad is worn out and making an intermittant contact with the circuit board. Ie: it is overly-sensitive on the buttons themselves. Replacement key pads/housings are commonly available (one just swaps the circuit board and battery into the replacement).

You can try cleaning the contacts on the rubber pad with alcohol along with the circuit board, but it likely needs a "rebuild" with the parts mentioned above.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Been there wondered how could that be? Pocket unlock? Turned out to be dirty contacts, like Whopper stated a new FOB keypad off good old eBay and I was back in business!

Like this, now double check your GM part number on the back to make its compatible

2006-2009 Chevrolet HHR Keyless Entry Remote Key Fob (Shell and Pad No Electronics Inside)
Amazon Amazon