Chevy HHR Network Forums
Search

Welcome to the Chevy HHR Network forums. The Chevy HHR Network is the leading resource for Chevy HHR owners.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Register Forgot Password?

Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 07:15 PM   #1

Member #: 5666
Check out my gallery 
Front End Noises

I have slightly over 63,000 miles on Tiggers now. Just started developing noises coming from the front when hitting bumps at low speeds. Thought it was the sway bar links again, was making the same sounds as last time. I had to have them replaced before at around 24,000 miles. Come to find out the driver side strut is leaking and needs to be replaced. Bushing on lower driver side control arm is coming apart and arm to be replaced. And finally, both sway bar links are shot. Thank goodness for the extended warranty. Seems like I should plan on replacing the sway bar links at around every 36,000 miles.
Mods: Color Matched Running Boards, Custom Fit HHR Splash Gaurds, Dark Tinted Front Windows and Front Eyebrow, Custom MOMO 5-Spoke Rims with Dunlop Signature Tires, AirAid Intake Tube and Filter, Hidden Trailer Hitch, and TTR Rear Sway Bar

TiggersHHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:55 AM   #2

Member #: 5514
Check out my gallery 
Greetings,

I'm experiencing a noise as well from the right front whenever the two front wheels are "not level" if that makes any sense. Think about a street with an overfilled patch on one side, the wheel going over this patch rises in relation to the other side. This is when I notice a knocking sound. The thing is though that I just had the front struts replaced.

What would you suggest I have looked at?

Thanks,

Geoff.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:46 AM   #3

Check out my gallery 
First, I would check the bushings on both of the swat bar links. Second, look over all the bushings in the lower control arms and the strut top mounting plate. Third, do a nut/bolt check the top mounting plate of the strut (located under the hood on the wheel well) and all other nut/bolts associated with the struts. If the noise still persist - take it back to were you had them installed and make them check for loose bolts or take it to a dealer.
Mods: Color Matched Running Boards, Custom Fit HHR Splash Gaurds, Dark Tinted Front Windows and Front Eyebrow, Custom MOMO 5-Spoke Rims with Dunlop Signature Tires, AirAid Intake Tube and Filter, Hidden Trailer Hitch, and TTR Rear Sway Bar

Old 02-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #4

Member #: 14347
Check out my gallery 
Take it to the dealer, if under warrentee, unfortunately these are a problem spot on HHRs and your not the only one.

2007 Chevrolet HHR LT 2.2L Majestic Amethyst Metallic
BlackScreaminMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #5

Member #: 13769
Check out my gallery 
Just my 2 cents , but forget the stock suspension components. They are crapola!. Moog has a very good sway bar end-link that is greaseable (reasonably priced and easy to replace on your own), and polyurethane bushings for the sway bay (the ones that hold the sway bar to the body) are the only ones that will stay quiet. As for struts, Monroe has a "quick strut" that comes with the spring and the new top plate/and bearing. AC Delco makes a very good rear shock (Part # AC 560-547), heavy duty but a little pricey($60 ea). I did all 4 corners of my '08 recently, and it rides/drives like new.
Old Fart havin' a good time 2008 hhr 2LT 2.4 auto 28 mpg/Mobile 1- 5W30, Kenwood amps Total 1200 watts rms.(custom amp install) Rockford-Fosgate 10" sub & Memphis ported box. Eclipse HU, WheelVintique wheels, trailer hitch, T-REX grills top & bottom. Extra set of fog lights. Eibach sway bars, CIA, Custom MAF, Chrome 4 in 1 header, 12 ga pump behind front passenger seat, concealed weapon permit in wallet.Check out my gallery for some pics!
mrarff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #6

Check out my gallery 
Update - thunking persist even though driver side repairs were done. Back to the shop on Friday. Going to have them look at the tie rod ends as well this time.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #7

Member #: 30038
Check out my gallery 
Lightbulb Front end Noises

I myself have had some noises. I had a thumping type sound, That was a front wheel bearing. I also had a banging going over bumps, that was a lower steering shaft. I also had the 'front end mechanics' tightened which seemed to cover a few odd & end noises. These may or may not be similiar to your experiences, but I thought I would let you know what I had & what was done to fix the problems, in case you encounter the same. I know these descriptions are vague, broad-ranged, & very generally described, but the dealer done the repairs under my 'SAG WARRANTY' since I had just purchased the vehicle 2/17/2011. If this helps you in at least some way, then I'm glad to offer you my experience with some noises. Now, I Also have a question. I have a rattle in my dash & can't pin-point it, just that it is in the driver's side. What could I do to find out what it could be without tearing the dash apart? (I can deal with it if I have to.) It is when I go over some bounces, but where I live, the streets are somewhat of an off-road experience, riddeled with pot-holes & railroad tracks that are enough to rattle your insides. So I Know Sooner then Later, I Will Have More & More bangs & rattles in time to come, so the dash rattle Most Definetely Would Return.
Hope this helps somebody!
thegodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #8

Member #: 19838
Check out my gallery 
I also have clunking in my '06. My buddy, a mechanic, said the only thing he saw underneath was a sway bar end kink starting to go bad. I know its more than just a sway bar link. Only clunks over minor bumps at low speeds and seems to gradually be getting a little worse by the month. I'm gonna have it gone through this spring soon. its driving me nuts. my wifes friend from work has on '08 and hers clunks too.

Brian

2006 HHR 1LT, 5-speed, all stock "The Black Widow"
1962 Impala station wagon
Bman416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #9

Member #: 30038
Check out my gallery 
Smile

I'm going to have my mechanic (who also is a friend of mine) check out the underneath to see if there is anything else going bad. The dealer was supposed to have done all of that when I had them do the work the other day, but I am still going to have it looked at again to be sure. That dash rattle is still driving me nuts though!
thegodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:22 PM

submit to reddit