Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Hello from New Mexico/Having trouble with my SS.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 02:54 PM

Hello from New Mexico/Having trouble with my SS.

I recently purchased a 2008 hhr SS.I love the car so far except for the dreaded trouble code p0014 that came up after i put in 88 octane gas.now my car puffs white ,firecracker smelling smoke.I replaced the VVT and reset the codes by unplugging the battery.It stopped smoking and the the check engine light came back on followed by smoke.I drove all the wrong gas out of it and put in 91 octane before replacing the VVT but nothing??? ......oh,by the way im a 41 yr old Army Iraq veteran and family man with two kids and a wife.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Welcome aboard, I checked a search and found these possible causes :
- Dirty Oil
- Low engine oil level
- Faulty Exhaust Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid
- Exhaust Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid harness is open or shorted
- Exhaust Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

Read more: P0014 Chevrolet Exhaust Camshaft Position System Performance OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com
Old 07-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Deceased

to the forum, congrats on your new ride, and thank you for your service!

I've edited the title of your post to reflect the issues you've had with your SS and moved it over to our "Problems" forum for the SS owners to weigh in on.

There's not much that we haven't seen go goofy on an HHR that we can't help a member determine the cause, and the repairs needed to fix it.

P.S. Great response Oldblue, you're quick on your keyboard today Buddy.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:31 PM

Thank You for the info Oldblue! And I apologize for the post introducing myself as a problem.I just love this car so much!Bugs me when it puffs smoke.LOL.As for a real introduction.I will do it right this time.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

Good post from Oldblue.

One question. What do you mean by "replaced the VVT" ? I am familiar with the term Variable Valve Timing. It's a whole system, not just a part you replace.

Also, you stated the CEL came back on. Is it the same code ?

If it's a stock SS without the turbo upgrade(GMTU) 88 octane gas wouldn't be an issue.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:24 PM

hello firemangeorge! I think the part is the camshaft actuater solenoid valve on exhaust side.It looked like a camshaft with screens and a plug on top for electrical connection.Black and marked exhaust.It was on the intake head passenger side right by one just like it grey in color marked intake.I reset the computer and it went back on.i just checked the oil dipstick and it didnt mark any oil.does a turbo burn oil?im new to this.Im a gear head in context to musclecars and carbed vehicles.All this technical lingo has me dizzy.lol.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

Modern turbo cars don't(shouldn't) burn oil like some turbo cars back in the old days may have.

If you don't have any oil on the dipstick, sorry, but it sounds like an internal problem. Along with your statement of blowing smoke from the tailpipe it just doesn't sound good.

You didn't state the mileage on your car but I'm guessing it's a high mileage one.
I would suggest finding a good repair shop and get a diagnosis.
And be prepared for bad news.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:49 PM

i put the correct oil and topped it off.now shes smoking like a greyish black diesel truck color.I will apply gas while driving and climb up the rpm range as i move forward.then i let off of the gas......no smoke.apply gas again.smoke.?
Old 07-10-2014, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't drive it if possible.
As I said, sounds like you've got a serious mechanical issue. Keep driving it and at the least you will destroy the catalytic converter. Worst case, you're going to have catastrophic engine failure.

Broken piston ring, bad valve guide/head, failed turbo, pcv system failure are all some possibilities.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:31 PM

Yikes!I decided to have it sent to the dealership.I plan on calling them in the morning.They are closed now.Thanks for the advice.i will follow up when this problem gets deciphered at the dealership.

Quick Reply: Hello from New Mexico/Having trouble with my SS.