Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

A/C Recirculation & Wiper Blades...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 02:44 PM

A/C Recirculation & Wiper Blades...

Is there a solution to the A/C recirculation always defaulting to the fresh air vent? I had previously read in this forum that it was listed as an annoyance, but is there a way to fix this? Drives me crazy that I have to keep selecting the A/C recirc...

Second thing is the passenger side wiper blade doesn't sit flush with the window cowl as it does on the drivers side. I assume this is inherent with the design, but I'm not completely positive. Is my HHR messed up? Do I need to get it fixed? Anyone else have this problem and found a solution?

Apologizes if these topics have already been discussed.

Steve
Old 07-23-2006, 02:51 PM

They there and welcome to the forum.
The only way I think you can get it to stay on the recirculate is to see if you can get it reprogramed. It is controled by the cars ECM. I'm not sure if it is possible to do that though.

My wiper is also up higher than the drivers side. I hate being able to see the wipers while driving. I'm thinking of getting a strip of black window tint on the bottom to cover it up. Then just cut out a hole for the light sencor. Hope this helps you.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:03 PM

Thanks. I'm not sure what GM was thinking when they did the programing for the HHR, but they should have concidered that not everyone would prefer the fresh air vent. I shouldn't complain though...I had a 96 S-10 that didn't even have recirculation.

I appreciate the window tint tip. That's a really good idea to disguise the fact the blade doesn't sit flush.

Thanks agian - Steve
Old 07-23-2006, 03:09 PM

No problem. My buddy and a GM dealer told me that all the new GM cars have the same thing with the air circulation.

You could also take the wiper arm off the car and put it back on with it closer to the cowl. Shouldn't be hard to get it off. Just a clip holding it on as far as I know.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:10 PM
Founding Member

I learned a nifty tid-bit from Snoopy while at the Grand Canyon run.

If you look at your windshield from the outside. At the edge towards the passenger side of where the wiper blade is at it's resting position you will find this dot refrence point. This is for aligning your wiper blade arm!

How many girls know that one! Nanner, nanner, nanner!

Old 07-23-2006, 03:15 PM

Nice one Sindy. I didn't even know that.

It takes a big man to admit that he dosen't know.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:32 PM

I believe, and i maybe wrong, the reason it defauts to the fresh air, It is easier to cool the fresh air coming in at start-up than it is to cool the air that has been trapped inside your vehicle (which is usually much hotter than the outside air) once it is cool, then you switch to recirculated air. just my
Old 07-23-2006, 05:01 PM

Thanks Sindy for the techical info and at least now I know my HHR is in spec concerning the wiper blades. Still not fond of how it looks though, but it's just a slight irritant.

JimZ - good point regarding the outside air being cooler, but when you live in Phoenix anything over 110 is just hot anyway. hahaha My problem is that I often forget to swith it over when I get in and a few miles down the road I realize I'm inhaling the exhuast of the vehicle in front of me.

I have to say that I'm impressed with how fast the A/C in the HHR can cool it down. Within a mile or two I'm comfortable as compared to my ex-truck that would take a good 8-10 minutes before I would notice a change. Even with swithing to recir when I start it up...
Old 07-23-2006, 06:00 PM

The reason for the outside air selection is because whenever you start your car up, gm thought naturally it would be cooler outside than in your car after its been sitting in the sun. Now this is where the outside air comes in, the outside air is cooler than the inside, so it sucks in the outside air in an attempt to cool off the interior of the car, more of a convenience thing by gm.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:10 PM

How many girls know that one! Nanner, nanner, nanner!
Hey Sindy, I knew that one. If you had asked me on the GC run, I would have told you what it was for.

Quick Reply: A/C Recirculation & Wiper Blades...