Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Key won't come out of ignition

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:30 AM

Unhappy Key won't come out of ignition

Big snow here in W-S, NC yesterday(1-30-10). Lots of snow on the secondary roads but getting around fine. Got stuck a little at the end of my street and had to rock it back and forth with Reverse and Drive to get free(Auto tranny). Got to the house, press the brake and put it in park as usual. Turned the key off but it wouldn't turn all the way off to release the key which this position is ACC position leaving my radio and probably some other things on. Did snow cause this(jammed tranny or cable or something) or is this a common problem? What's the fix for it. And BTW, my battery was dead this morning when I tried to crank it which I've accidently run my battery down before causing my key to lose it's program. Had to have it towed to the dealership to get it reprogrammed. Bummer. I forgot to ask the dealer if I had to bring the car in to reprogram the key or can I just bring them my key. Anyone know? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:45 AM

Welcome, if your steering wheel is turned and key will not come out then turn steering wheel towards side turned and turn to off and get key out. If steering wheel is not turned then its the shifter assembly
Old 01-31-2010, 09:53 AM

Wow, that sucks! I agree with Shaginwgn, especially on the chance that it is the shifter assembly. Noting that you had been rocking the car back forth between drive/reverse, it is a very good possiblitly that the shift cable and Park interlock is out of wack now.

Yes, the dealer needs the car and both sets of keyfobs to reprogram them. I know as I have been down that street... I have found that once it is reprogrammed with the proper firmware it will not lose this reprogramming again when the battery goes dead. At least if you jump start or charge the battery the proper method by going directly to the battery located in the trunk.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:28 AM

Same thing happened to my 06, it was the shifter assembly.