Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

No crank 06 HHR 2.2

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 09:53 PM

No crank 06 HHR 2.2

Symptoms: No crank, not even a click. Fuel pump can be heard. Power steering and low fuel warning on display.

After the no crank situation started I suspected either the battery or starter, both were replaced about six months ago. Battery was charged and the starter checked out fine. Reinstalled and noticed power steering warning when attempting to crank. The EPS fuses checked good. Went as far as checking all fuses and reseated fuse box. Attempted to connect OBD2 to see if there were any codes but it failed to connect once the ignition was turned on. I reviewed a few post and will heed the advice and check the cig. lighter for power tomorrow. Meanwhile, if anyone has any advice or can point me in the right direction please do so.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:23 PM

Welcome to the site.

I would start by checking battery cable connections at the under hood fuse box. Also check all of the fuses with a test light.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:55 PM
Deceased

aboard lever2k!

X2 to Lucky's advice above.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:00 AM
Platinum Member

Not sure if I am reading you right: You say "After the no crank situation started I suspected either the battery or starter, both were replaced about six months ago. " - so the problem has been existing for at least 6 months? Did you continue to have problems once they were both replaced, or did the problems just reappear now?

It's unlikely that both the starter and battery died at the same time, so did you replace the battery, THEN the starter, or replace them both at the same time?

You say the battery was charged - what was the reason it needed a charge? Did you test the battery once charged with a load tester to confirm it is ok?

(the reason I am asking all these questions is I recently helped two neighbours out (with a Subaru and a Jetta) that had similar issues - no crank, just a rattle from the starter solenoids - lots of warning lights when trying to crank - headlights worked though. Neither one would jump start - just the same symptoms as trying to start on their own battery. I put a battery charger on one of them and it didn't charge, but it also didn't indicate that it WAS charged. Advised both to just get a new battery as their current ones were toast - and that fixed their problems. One battery was just 3 yrs old - not sure about the other one.)
Old 12-15-2014, 06:11 AM
Technical Moderator

And check the ground wire connection at the driver side radiator support.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:38 AM

Whopper, the starter went out and I replaced it. The battery was the original and had given me signs that it was on it's last leg before the starter went out. I drained the new battery when I was troubleshooting my no crank problem. A load test was performed prior to reinstalling.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:44 AM

Thanks for the immediate responses everyone. Now you guys have me thinking outside of the box. Will be checking the ground and fuses with a tester this evening.

Last edited by lever2k; 12-15-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:32 PM

Welcome to the site. If you hear the fuel pump your most likely getting fuel. I agree, check all fuses, battery connections under the hood at fuse box, the fuse at the battery, etc... But as you said the new battery was drained during testing so I guess its a bad battery. If the battery isn't fully charged they act funny.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:19 PM
Platinum Member

Just so you don't think too far "out of the box", maybe look at the basics.

Based on your post that the battery is good.

If the car is an auto trans., have you tried making sure the shifter is fully in park? Or maybe even tried to start it with the shifter in neutral ?
Could be as simple as bad position sensor(Or neutral safety switch if it's called)

If it's a 5 speed, have you checked the pedal position sensor on the clutch pedal? Car won't start if this isn't working.

Lastly. Not sure if this is relevent or even a possibility. Have you tried another key ? Since these cars use chipped keys maybe your's isn't working.
(Not sure if this applies since you do get the dash lights to come on )
Old 12-15-2014, 03:35 PM
Technical Moderator

I just thought of the other obvious possibility: the hood ajar switch won't crank if the computer thinks the hood is open. or is that RS only?

Quick Reply: No crank 06 HHR 2.2