Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Service traction/service ESC lights on

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 05:00 AM

Service traction/service ESC lights on

I have a 2010 HHR with less than 60k miles. The "service traction" and "service ESC" lights go on intermittently. The other day "ESC off" lit up, accompanied by a dinging sound (similar to the seatbelt warning). I haven't noticed any difference in the actual operation of the car, just the illuminated warnings.

What do they mean, and how urgent are they? Do I need to take the car to a GM dealer, or can I take it to an independent mechanic?

Any chance the repairs would be covered by the original warranty (I should be so lucky)?

Thanks for any information/advice/suggestions.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:03 AM
Technical Moderator

Any good shop should be able to handle it.

Is the check engine light on? If not there is a good chance you have a bad hub.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:28 AM
Banned

Oh, Donbrew, can I add, maybe check the cables and fuses to make sure they are all seated properly. Loose connection and potential bad battery could be a cause for things like this.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Any good shop should be able to handle it.

Is the check engine light on? If not there is a good chance you have a bad hub.
Check engine light is not on. I'm guessing a bad hub wouldn't be covered under the original warranty, since it's not part of the power train. Right? So there's no reason to take it to a dealer.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by LawDog88
Oh, Donbrew, can I add, maybe check the cables and fuses to make sure they are all seated properly. Loose connection and potential bad battery could be a cause for things like this.
Probably still a case for going to a mechanic. I'm not gonna let the hubster poke around in my HHR's workings.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:07 PM

Hello mallomar,

I'm happy to look into this for you. According to page 4-53 of your Owner Manual:

SERVICE TRACTION
If your vehicle has the Enhanced Traction System (ETS) or Traction Control System (TCS), this message displays and a chime sounds when the system is not functioning properly. The ETS light or the ESC/TCS light also appears on the instrument panel cluster. This light stays on solid as long as the detected problem remains present. When this message displays, the system is not working. Adjust your driving accordingly. Have the system serviced by your dealer/retailer as soon as possible.
And pages 4-32 through 4-33:

Electronic Stability Control (ESC)/Traction Control System (TCS) Indicator/Warning Light
The Electronic Stability Control (ESC) system or the Traction Control System (TCS) indicator/warning light comes on briefly when the engine is started.

If it does not, have the vehicle serviced by the dealer/retailer. If the system is working normally the indicator light goes off.

This light, along with the appropriate Driver Information Center (DIC) messages, indicates when the ESC system and the TCS are working or are disabled.

If the light comes on and stays on, the TCS and potentially the ESC system have been disabled. Check the DIC messaging to determine which system is turned off, or not working. If the system is not working, the vehicle needs service. See your dealer/retailer.

When the TCS is disabled, wheel spin is not limited. When the ESC system is disabled, the system does not aid in maintaining vehicle directional control.

If the light comes on and flashes, the TCS or the ESC system is actively working. When the LOW TRACTION message appears, the system is limiting wheel spin. When the ESC ACTIVE message appears, the system is aiding in maintaining vehicle directional control.

Please PM my team with your VIN, we're able to check which warranties are on your HHR. In addition, if you decide to bring it in to your Chevy dealership, we're able to schedule a service appointment for you.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Amanda K.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-09-2015, 04:09 PM

Service traction/service ESC/PO107 code(park brake chime now off)

Took my 2009 Panel in for recalls: a second new key switch, and the power steering, 3 days ago. Noticed that the parking brake chime wasn't working the next day (I use it for hand braking), and yesterday, got the "Service traction/service ESC lights on" messages (no warning chime) and in addition, a PO107 code. This was after 7pm(Friday), and 70 miles from the dealer, so I couldn't take it back in. When I had retrieved my HHR, the service writer stated that the tech had had some problems doing the recalls, so perhaps something amiss happened inadvertently under the dash. Three new problems after someone else worked on it ??? No driveability problems, except for the engine stutter, when the messages and code flashes first appeared simultaneously. There are no coincidences, in my experience!
Old 05-09-2015, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

Do a search for p0107 - lots of tips and things to check for the fix (searching for po107 won't be of much help though ...)
Old 05-09-2015, 04:49 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by working on it
Took my 2009 Panel in for recalls: a second new key switch, and the power steering, 3 days ago. Noticed that the parking brake chime wasn't working the next day (I use it for hand braking), and yesterday, got the "Service traction/service ESC lights on" messages (no warning chime) and in addition, a PO107 code. This was after 7pm(Friday), and 70 miles from the dealer, so I couldn't take it back in. When I had retrieved my HHR, the service writer stated that the tech had had some problems doing the recalls, so perhaps something amiss happened inadvertently under the dash. Three new problems after someone else worked on it ??? No driveability problems, except for the engine stutter, when the messages and code flashes first appeared simultaneously. There are no coincidences, in my experience!
Sounds like the tech got under the hood for some reason and jiggled some wires.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:50 PM

Hello Kayla,

Glad to see you're okay. I know you've already taken your HHR to your dealership, but if you'd like us to look into your situation further, we would be happy to do so. Please send us a PM with your contact information, VIN and the dealership you're working with.

We'll be on the lookout for your message.

Geoff G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: Service traction/service ESC lights on