Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Check charging system??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 01:30 PM

who knows? I hope not.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:42 PM

And while youre down there, maybe put some kind of grille there to protect the intercooler. I would hate for there to be an expensive incident with a pebble on the highway.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Yes, that sounds logical.. Do you think any shavings went in the piping ?
The intercooler is under pressure from the turbocharger so any debris near the hole would be pushed away.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:13 PM

This happened to me today at the grocery store tonight... thank goodness it was the one down by the house (husband, in-laws are out of state & everyone else is in another city)!

My 2006 HHR has had several problems since I bought it in Oct 2011 used of course.
It has been "good" the past week or so, but then today... BAMMMM, it stabbed me in the back again!

Car was fine all day. Nothing plugged in, no lights left on, yaghtta yaghtta.
Was in the store about 45 minutes.
Leave store, unlock HHR while exiting store, (did not use the start button on key chain doohickey).
While I was unloading the buggy, my daughter turned on the radio to hear Justin Bieber.
Radio was on about 1 minute.
Got in car, turned key to hear that "click click cligggg" (like an issue with the starter).
All lights on A/C, Radio area flashed on & off and the needles went hay wire and every light on the dash came on.
Quickly turned key back towards me (but not all the way) & the dash reads.... Check Airbags, Check Charging sys, Door Ajar & Battery Safe Mode ON.

All lights work, all sounds work. Battery not dead, but car will not turn over & makes a very "erky" noise that will not stop until you turn key back towards driver seat.

So a guy that stops to help me out, he pops the hood & we find that the lid for the fuse box is completely off.
It is laying in the lower space kinda down in front of it a ways.
I check fuses, but I am not sure which are missing, if any indeed are even missing.
About two weeks or so ago, when I had to change my Power Steering fuse (due to the damned thing being rattled loose all the time), we securely locked the top back on the fuse box.

So what gave it that much pressure to make it pop off? Can that even happen?

I decide to call the guy at GM that I have been dealing with, but of course they are closed. As well as Chevy place I bought it from.
I then decide to call Geico to get a tow, but quickly change my mind, as I am guessing that I am just missing a fuse.

So as of now, once again, my HHR has left my 8 year old & I stranded with no vehicle.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:23 PM
Deceased

OK TheBhamBrophyFam, that's kinda weird, but I suppose anything is possible.

Grab your owner's manual and turn to page 5-84 and the underhood fuses are all there with their locations marked. If your manual is missing, click the link below for the online version, the page number is the same.

http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/ow...vrolet-HHR.pdf

I'm suspecting the fuse box itself is loose on its mounts and bouncing about when you hit bumps etc. That would send the lid flying and pop things loose for sure.

P.S. - Justin Bieber? Frantically looks for garbage can to retch into.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:31 PM
Platinum Member

Fuse location schematic is also on the underside of the fusebox lid..

When you put the fusebox lid on, make sure it clips on (at both ends)..
Old 04-14-2012, 11:40 PM
Deceased

Yes do make sure both clips engage, and that they aren't broken.

Figured I'd link her up to the manual in case the fuse box lid was trashed from flapping around under the hood, better safe than sorry.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

I think the 'owners manual' is the one thing, that gets the least use for most owners..
Old 04-15-2012, 01:12 AM
Deceased

I wonder if we did an survey here, how many folks have read theirs or even know if they have one in the glove box?

Maybe all vehicles should have a flashing light on the dash that says "When in doubt, RTFM", but then folks would ask why the light was on.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by 843de

Yes do make sure both clips engage, and that they aren't broken.

Figured I'd link her up to the manual in case the fuse box lid was trashed from flapping around under the hood, better safe than sorry.
Yesterday I too found my fuse box lid off and in the same location as TheBhamBrophyFam described, I replaced it and heard to very audible clicks as it locked into place. Have no idea what made it come off. I checked the suggestion about the entire assembly being loose but not in my case. I guess it was left loose by the dealer when they did the presale inspection about a month ago and it just finally came loose.

Quick Reply: Check charging system??