SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Surging when driving normal

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 05:57 PM

Question Surging when driving normal

Just putting along it feels like it's surging a little and no boost fluktuation that I can see. It doesn't surge when Im on it hard. Im going to call the dealer but I wanted to know if anyone else had this problem. I only have 9,000 miles on it and the only mod on the car is the Stage Kit. I don't want to install my parts until I know what this is.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:36 AM

Yes, I had the same problem. I was experiencing surging at speed (45-80) and became worse over time (2 weeks from the time I first noticed until it was fixed) but it never threw a CEL. It turns out that the "butt" connectors used in the installation of the stage kit are notorious bad. My dealer found out that this was an issue by explaining my symptoms and also stating I had the stage kit installed and they told immediately to solder the wires instead of crimping them. They did that and the car has not had the issue. BTW - even though the car didn't throw a CEL it did have a "performance" code in memory that the dealer used to help identify the issue with GM.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:52 AM

Ditto but now that GM aint fixing things F'Them. I'm going with Haltech standalone computer( http://www.haltech.com/) and better injectors and installing the turbo
Old 06-08-2009, 02:08 PM

Yeah, it's not throwing a code and not losing boost so Im thinking it's something electrical. At first I was thinking injectors missing but that would throw a code. I will also let them know about the stage kit problems.
I don't know why people would put butt connectors on auto wiring in the first place.
Originally Posted by allsteelers
Yes, I had the same problem. I was experiencing surging at speed (45-80) and became worse over time (2 weeks from the time I first noticed until it was fixed) but it never threw a CEL. It turns out that the "butt" connectors used in the installation of the stage kit are notorious bad. My dealer found out that this was an issue by explaining my symptoms and also stating I had the stage kit installed and they told immediately to solder the wires instead of crimping them. They did that and the car has not had the issue. BTW - even though the car didn't throw a CEL it did have a "performance" code in memory that the dealer used to help identify the issue with GM.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:57 PM

YES,
I was trying to explain this to the dealer as well. Happens at 45mph-ish to 80 as well. What was the code you saw?

Please let me know your results with the dealer. My car has been in 2 times for this same issue and both times they cant find anything.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:07 PM

I never got a code.. did you get the stage kit?
Originally Posted by DMarotta
YES,
I was trying to explain this to the dealer as well. Happens at 45mph-ish to 80 as well. What was the code you saw?

Please let me know your results with the dealer. My car has been in 2 times for this same issue and both times they cant find anything.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:10 PM

I first noticed it about a week ago and it did it yesterday. I was waiting for the vehilce to cut out and die. I drove to work this morning and it ran fine. It's not all the time so I'll see when I drive home if it does it again.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:09 PM

The issue will only get worse. For me it was intermitten in the beginning and progressively got worse. Just have the dealer solder all the wires from the stage 1 kit. This will ensure a good connection and correct the problem.

My dealer never told me what code it was but they did contact GM and it is a known problem with the stage kit. If I get a chance I scan my shop work order and post it here. You should be able to take it to your dealer and show them what I had done.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by allsteelers
The issue will only get worse. For me it was intermitten in the beginning and progressively got worse. Just have the dealer solder all the wires from the stage 1 kit. This will ensure a good connection and correct the problem.

My dealer never told me what code it was but they did contact GM and it is a known problem with the stage kit. If I get a chance I scan my shop work order and post it here. You should be able to take it to your dealer and show them what I had done.
Will Do. Thanks for the Heads up. I think this issue also need to be a Stage kit Sticky
Old 06-10-2009, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by camaro98z28
I never got a code.. did you get the stage kit?
Yes I have the Kit. I am noticing the issue more and more lately. Is there a dealer alert or tech note regarding this yet so when I do go back to the dealer i can reference something other than this thread?

Quick Reply: Surging when driving normal