SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Surging when driving normal

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by JeramieJJ
My dealer does all STG1 installs with soldering connections, so that isn't my issue.
Oh man, you have no idea what kind of debate you can open up when you mention soldered connections and whether that means better reliability or not.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:08 PM

Well Im just going to point out that part because thats the only mod on the car as of now.. Seems this is a common thing on the SS HHR. Wonder what they are finding? I'm not throwing a code yet.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by c2vette
Oh man, you have no idea what kind of debate you can open up when you mention soldered connections and whether that means better reliability or not.
Oh come on everyone knows you have to use JB Weld. It is the handy mans seceret wepon. it is better than Duct tape!
Old 06-11-2009, 10:12 PM

I think they have to remove the lower IC piping to install the stage kit so maybe something came lose.
yes mine does it only at part throttle.
Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
I also have had the surge and have posted a thread regarding that issue. And what I found out for me is that the IC connection at the IC needed to be tighten, along with the other connections. As soon as I did that the surge disappeared, it only happens on part throttle, not WOT or when depressing the accelerator fully to the floor when hitting passing gear. I need to take the bottom plastic panels off again and rotate the T-Bolt clamp to a position where I can reach it to tighten from inside the front of the engine, because the way the factory placed the clamp it is impossible to tighten unless you are under the car with said panels loosen, and partically removed for access. I also plan to replace the IC piping sometime in the future, and secure the T-Bolt so it won't come loose anymore
Old 06-12-2009, 10:42 PM

Got it backl from the dealer and they found nothing. Drove 10 miles and Scanned it. No missfires or anything. WTF?
Old 06-12-2009, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by camaro98z28
Got it backl from the dealer and they found nothing. Drove 10 miles and Scanned it. No missfires or anything. WTF?
See now that's why I don't want to waste my time taking it to the dealer, but mine also has a Onstar failure, I lost 1 of my 5 pre-set bars on the radio, and my DRLs only work when they want! probably will get it in next week since my wife won't be working and can drop me off and pick me up from work.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by camaro98z28
I threw a CEL tonight after driving... it was bucking so bad i about shot it. Going to the dealer saturday...

I did find that at higher RPMs this did not occur. I put the car in "L" and drove some. Over 3,000 RPMs nothing. Put the car in drive an run steady in the 2000 RPM range was painful.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:54 PM

loss of boost

couldn't get any more than 4psi on the way home this afternoon. This **** is brutal I'm going to take it in this week. Hasn't run this bad since february after kit install.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:19 PM

Wow, after reading this stuff I should be happy with mine! lol Mine only surges sometimes, and only when under heavy-full throttle, mainly when I am already at highway speeds. Otherwise it seems to operate fine, but I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow to get all my concerns checked out, so that will be 1 I am sure I will get the "could not duplicate complaint" responses for. If it stays that way I guess I would be fine with it, but I wish it would stay like it was when I got the kit installed! All mine really does is when I'm cruising, if I push the gas down heavy or full throttle by way of heavy, it will boost up like normal, then fall back quite a ways, then start back up again. 1 thing that worried me that is not repeating itself is once when I started it, it sounded real bad, like metal pinging noise, then after a minute went to the normal ticking. Seemed odd to me, but hasn't done it since. I hate to wait until something fails to do something about it!
Old 06-16-2009, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by DMarotta
I threw a CEL tonight after driving... it was bucking so bad i about shot it. Going to the dealer saturday...

I did find that at higher RPMs this did not occur. I put the car in "L" and drove some. Over 3,000 RPMs nothing. Put the car in drive an run steady in the 2000 RPM range was painful.
Well I know that they can't always find the problem if the problem is just sometimes. I wish mine would have thrown a code so they can find the problem. I don't blame the dealer for not finding the problem. They did say to bring it right back when the problem happens again while Im driving it. So if it happens again I will drive straight there.

Things I'm thinking it could be.
1. Water in the fuel.
2. Fuel Pump
3. Bad connection with the Stage kit.
4. Loose IC piping or leak.

Quick Reply: Surging when driving normal