2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Automatic to Manual Transmission...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 10:00 PM

Automatic to Manual Transmission...

Yes, this is going to make some of you cringe... but I'm wondering if anyone has a ballpark estimate on how much it'd cost me to go from an automatic, to manual transmission... When I got my HHR SS, I had no idea I'd fall in love with it from a performance standpoint, but now I have. And the deed is already done (by getting the automatic).

Good news is that I did not pay more on the automatic. So technically I paid the same price as someone would have if it were a manual! So it won't be AS much of a loss here.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:19 AM

I really don't think that you can do this conversion properly for less money than swapping your auto SS for a 5-speed SS. It's just not worth the time, money, effort, and potential problems. I'm guessing $5G minimum with your car being out of commission for quite a while - this is a complicated swap and things will go wrong.

But if you love your car that much - go for it and let us know how much it cost and how long it took :)
Old 11-04-2009, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Programmer
I really don't think that you can do this conversion properly for less money than swapping your auto SS for a 5-speed SS. It's just not worth the time, money, effort, and potential problems. I'm guessing $5G minimum with your car being out of commission for quite a while - this is a complicated swap and things will go wrong.

But if you love your car that much - go for it and let us know how much it cost and how long it took :)
Ouchie. There's absolutely no way I will pay that much haha. Oh well, the automatic is still fast =D
Old 11-04-2009, 12:23 PM
ecl

how do you figure 5k? swapping a auto for a manual isnt that hard. swap out the tranny add the clutch(parts easily removed from a wrecked one) and reinstall into yours. They only thing I think would be the hardest is any computer parts(not sure how all that works) but could just get the manuals computer easy enough. Ive done a swap like that before, granted that was on a late 80s ford so it could be a little more complicated than that one was but not by much.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:58 PM
XXL

Trans from a wreck is going to cost you $2k unless you stumble upon a very rare deal. You'll need shifter and associated cables as well. And you'll need to manipulate the ECM-- I'm not sure if a GM Tech II flash will get you the right config or if you have to start with an ECM from a manual tran vehicle. HPT has exposed some trans tables in the ECM, but there's no way for us to know if they've got them all or if there is any interaction with the BCM... which nobody has exposed in any meaningful way yet. Sell your car and buy what you want. You'll save a LOT of money.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Founding Member

There's a lot more than just a transmission and computer swap. You will need real deep pockets to do this if it can be done at all, which I doubt.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:14 PM
XXL

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
There's a lot more than just a transmission and computer swap. You will need real deep pockets to do this if it can be done at all, which I doubt.
Well... GM can do it on the assembly floor, so it definitely can be done. But deep pockets is an absolute requirement. It may be cheaper to start your own Formula 1 team
Old 11-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by XXL
It may be cheaper to start your own Formula 1 team
I already have. Want to join in?
Old 11-04-2009, 01:24 PM
XXL

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
I already have. Want to join in?
Wow! The service business must be booming! If you don't have a driver already, I'd love the spot (we'll need to mod the ****pit to fit my fat ash). If not, maybe I can be an umbrella girl???

Name:  CMracing-umbrella-girl.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  54.9 KB

Hey... go over to my electrical problem thread and post me a fix, will ya?

edit: hahahahahahahaha... apparently my reference to the seating area in the car where driver controls are located is a bad word.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:03 PM

It is easier and cheaper to replace the SS vs the Tranny. You would take less of a hit.

And now I know why I quite watching F1. LOL!

Quick Reply: Automatic to Manual Transmission...