2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

"BSR vs. HPTuners"...the results are in!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by gcsd3742
I agree on the $1k purchase but some people like the hand held tuner they feel like its a security blanket that they can tune an un-tune when they want to...up to each individual though... I am enjoying my car so far...we''ll see where it goes form here
Did your guy tune the car on the dyno?

What were the base numbers?
Old 10-07-2008, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by EcoBoost
Hey mighty!

I'd like to make a bit of a clarification here...this thread is a bit awkwardly named, as we also use HPTuners for many applications.

It would be more aptly called BSR vs. HPTuners, for instance

But we do appreciate being involved!
Your comparing a tune (BSR) to a tuning tool (HPTuners). The tool (HPTuners) requires someone smart behind the keyboard to make effective use of it. The tune (BSR) only requires a check and assumes the person on the other end of the keyboard knew what he was doing when it was initially built.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:11 PM

Question

Indeed. Aaron (the other Aaron is right.). I'm sure my ADM tune has some differences from Flaco's tune, but both were done with HPT.

Were there baseline numbers when GCSD was tuning?
Old 10-08-2008, 05:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
Your comparing a tune (BSR) to a tuning tool (HPTuners). The tool (HPTuners) requires someone smart behind the keyboard to make effective use of it. The tune (BSR) only requires a check and assumes the person on the other end of the keyboard knew what he was doing when it was initially built.

You can say that again!

Why has no one asked what kind of bost you guys are seeing?

What kind of boost were you seeing ?

Last edited by ADM PERFORMANCE; 10-08-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:50 AM

i can see this is about to turn ugly.

for people that bought or will buy the hpt there are pros and cons and the same with the bsr.

pros for hpt- cost of the tune(more on this later), the ability to get the most power from your car.

cons- the $$$ you are going to pay for a tuner to go in and make your tune better,the cost of the dyno to tune it. which at this point you have bought the bsr tune. as noted,the difference was 3-4 hp. the other con is,there are people on this board(not you eric) and all over the usa that think because they have a lap top and a tuning program,they are brian o'conner and can tune a car. we will see how long the lnf will last with them.

bsr-pros- you have a company that have been doing this a long time and they are very trust worthy. for those of us with the bsr,we know it's a big difference night and day. so the "we don't who did what behind the keyboard"...comment is moot to me. i know my car is faster and have more power. mission accomplished. easy to operate. no need to keep going back adjusting stuff.

cons- the price is a little high,but in todays economy,what's $300??? that's the difference between the tunes.
you don't have the ability to go in and get more power and tune.

all in all,both tunes do the same thing.until proven or other parameters open up the hpt is not that much different from bsr. the price of the tunes will be the same or hpt might be slighty more. depends on who you know with a dyno or you know how to tune. i understand the hpt have/is a canned tune. so there is really no difference,but $300,if you don't go in and adjust.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by ColeTrickle
Did your guy tune the car on the dyno?

butt dynoed on Sunday

What were the base numbers?
didnt get no base #'s Strictly Performance was closed on Fri. for some races

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
I understand that's why I went to Flaco. If he can make that 6.8L(414 cu. in.) run 9's in the 1/4 mile he can tune my car...Flaco knows H/P Tuners and we are just tinkering with the car..But for $250.00 vs. $1000 well you see where I went....

Originally Posted by AaronSS
Indeed. Aaron (the other Aaron is right.). I'm sure my ADM tune has some differences from Flaco's tune, but both were done with HPT.

Were there baseline numbers when GCSD was tuning?
No base #'s sorry I was basing them off another person's stock tune who posted upon here

Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE
You can say that again!

I am shure ADM knows what they are doing as well but Flaco is local and I got the same tune + any issuses I can see Flaco anyday of the week right here at home

Why has know one asked what kind of bost you guys are seeing?

What kind of boost were you seeing on the dyno?
Boost Flaco said he saw 20-21 on the Aeroforce gauge since the Autometer gauge stopped working on me.. Any more ?'s guys keep them coming...
Old 10-08-2008, 08:03 AM

my boost was/is 20-21 also.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by mightymouse
i can see this is about to turn ugly.

for people that bought or will buy the hpt there are pros and cons and the same with the bsr.

pros for hpt- cost of the tune(more on this later), the ability to get the most power from your car.

cons- the $$$ you are going to pay for a tuner to go in and make your tune better,the cost of the dyno to tune it. which at this point you have bought the bsr tune. as noted,the difference was 3-4 hp. the other con is,there are people on this board(not you eric) and all over the usa that think because they have a lap top and a tuning program,they are brian o'conner and can tune a car. we will see how long the lnf will last with them.

bsr-pros- you have a company that have been doing this a long time and they are very trust worthy. for those of us with the bsr,we know it's a big difference night and day. so the "we don't who did what behind the keyboard"...comment is moot to me. i know my car is faster and have more power. mission accomplished. easy to operate. no need to keep going back adjusting stuff.

cons- the price is a little high,but in todays economy,what's $300??? that's the difference between the tunes.
you don't have the ability to go in and get more power and tune.

all in all,both tunes do the same thing.until proven or other parameters open up the hpt is not that much different from bsr. the price of the tunes will be the same or hpt might be slighty more. depends on who you know with a dyno or you know how to tune. i understand the hpt have/is a canned tune. so there is really no difference,but $300,if you don't go in and adjust.
Correct I agree...I just wanted the H/P Tuners tune because there will be more that you can adjust later as technology develops and I have been around H/P Tuners for awhile with my other vehicles. we (Mightymouse and I) are very happy with our selections, so to each individual out there make your own decisions. We have made ours. I got Flaco to tune mine with all the experince he has w/o the Dyno to see what it would do. then I did the dyno just to see what it was putting down that is all stand by for more to come...LOL. Mouse on Sunday I'll call you about that LIL test run on the way back from San Antonio...thanks for showing yesterday @ Strictly Performance and for the Greddy part for my Civic
Old 10-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mightymouse
my boost was/is 20-12 also.
Then you guys are right on the money for power that your making.

Congrats on the numbers.

BTW-This thread has no reason to turn ugly...Just good info on you guys part!
Old 10-08-2008, 08:10 AM

Correct ADM(Andy) we thank you for those kind words its all for fun anyways...its not like we were running for pink slips or betting on the dyno well ok we were betting on the dyno but we were way under...we were like 10 H/P under what we thought it should have...

Quick Reply: "BSR vs. HPTuners"...the results are in!!!