2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

can i put a 2.0 in my LS 2.2 ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 05:37 PM

That works okay for engine management but does nothing for you for car management. If you have any interaction between the ECM and the PCM you would lose it.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:23 PM

Alright. I'm not trying to discourage you in any way from doing a motor/ trans swap in your car but lets look at the basics.

1. Engine purchase. Assuming you can locate a complete motor/ trans swap (even better if it comes w/ ECU) you're already staring down the business end of a $3.5k bullet. But lets say you have the cash (be prepared to part with at least 10k for the swap fyi)...

2. Tools/ Equipment/ Time. Our cars come stock with an inate pain in the ass engine compartment. Obviously you need to take the time to cut/ disconnect/ LABEL everything. Which, as you know, is no easy task when you peer under the hood. Now. Assuming you've gotten everything labeled, disco'd and prepped... you've done the leg work... now its time to pull your motor and trans.... Bear in mind, however, you will need to drop the entire works, carriage and all, from the front of your car.... this entire process will most likely require a lift, a complete set of tools and about a weekend and probably lots of beer and friends without jobs..?

3. Trans swap prep... You will likely find the factory mounting location for the clutch pedal under the carpeting (recognized by a depression in the sheet metal along with 4 'punch out' marks where bolts would fasten the clutch pedal assy to the firewall. Since our clutches are not cable, their hydraulic, you will need to install the required hardware (clutch master cylinder, slave cyl...etc. all the clutch internals should be included with the swap so you just have to run the lines once everything is mounted... Then I would suggest welding the clutch pedal assy to the firewall for safer operation... but thats just me. some will most likely argue that point, anyway moving on...

4. Wiring... Ok, here, first of all, I want to begin this by saying I dont wish to insult anyone's previous posts at all... but the wiring is not as big of a nightmare as it seems. Most of the factory harness will support the new motor if you want to dick around with it. HOWEVER... you will need to utilize a factory ECU for the 2.0 turbo motors OR a compatable stand alone thats ENGINE MANAGEMENT ONLY so you dont f*ck yourself trying to get all your fancy gadgets and gizzmos to work.... Most of the sensors remain the same HOWEVER, for all the DI and turbo related sensors, you will need to run new wiring to the ECU or Stand Alone unit *I would suggest PAINLESS wiring for this* or you could just get the entire harness with the new motor (much much easier). Its not too bad, you can utilize factory routing and take a deep breath and sort it out....

5. The transplant... Once your trans/ clutch/ wiring harness is all hashed out, its time to slap the new powerplant in right? Unfortunately, its not that easy. You will need to either custom weld a new exhaust system or purchase a factory SS turbo exhaust from GM. Lets not forget, you need to make room for that intercooler... a minor inconvenience for the determined tuner, but a nightmare and giant expense for the backyard do-it-yourself'er. Obviously your stock front bumper wont work. That, and you will need to make room for the IC piping, and why use the stock **** when you can buy Hahn's 3''?? Plus you need to buy the IC, probably a recirc valve or BOV if your tuning w/out a MAF.... *(easier to recirc than to trick your MAF trust me..)

Then, since the car will look ridiculous w/ an SS front bumper and stock sides n rear, you'll probably want SS sides n rear facias as well *although you've already illuded to the fact that you dislike this??? anyway... thats just a minor nuiciance....

Once all your plumbing is in, its time to button up the new motor *making sure all necessary air, fuel... oh ****... we forgot to mention that... your stock fuel pump is usless in trying to supply enough f/p to a DI injection system. So you will need to change that out too... not to mention your lines and filter.... and a few other odds and ends...

Well now you have all that figured out and your balls deep in being 7k poorer.... and youre still only halfway there....

well, since I clearly dont need to go any further...

Just turbo your 2.2 its gonna run you around 4k and you will be plenty happy. Either that or trade that **** in on an SS? Although I think you have a pretty nice car and a turbo 2.2 is something different for you to tell your grand kids about...

Just my 2....maybe 5 cents haha.

PS. I have been drinking a few brewski's n watching the Milwaukee admirals get ****ed in the ass so I'm a bit punchy. Sorry if it came off smart assish.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by hhrss09

Yonash did no one sugest to the guy your talking about above to go with a stand alone unit?
to the best of our knowledge, there are no stand alone units for DI engines. DI makes everything tricky. unless something has come out in the couple months since we discussed this, that is.

i agree with the notion of either trade for a panel SS or turbo your 2.2L. i believe Hahn has turbo kits for it. cheaper, and MUCH less headache.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:44 AM

no turbos for the HHR, yet. for the cobalt sure. im sure if you were daring and felt like going out to hahns and having him rig you up something could be done but i would have vince from trifecta on a phone and a tuner in your hand. as far as i know hahn is working with vince for the newer tuning, dont flame me if im wrong.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by RocketBuSS
Alright. I'm not trying to discourage you in any way from doing a motor/ trans swap in your car but lets look at the basics.

---------------

well, since I clearly dont need to go any further...

Just turbo your 2.2 its gonna run you around 4k and you will be plenty happy. Either that or trade that **** in on an SS? Although I think you have a pretty nice car and a turbo 2.2 is something different for you to tell your grand kids about...

Just my 2....maybe 5 cents haha.

PS. I have been drinking a few brewski's n watching the Milwaukee admirals get ****ed in the ass so I'm a bit punchy. Sorry if it came off smart assish.

wow im not gunna lie. i liked all your points. it made me laugh how you were saying everything. not in a bad way . its just awesome to hear everyones points

i have thought about just a turbo for my 2.2 . but id still want a 5 speed with that turbo

do you think it would be hard to put in just a 5 speed?
cuz an auto with a turbo would be kinda lame in my point
Old 05-01-2009, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Yonash
to the best of our knowledge, there are no stand alone units for DI engines. DI makes everything tricky. unless something has come out in the couple months since we discussed this, that is.

i agree with the notion of either trade for a panel SS or turbo your 2.2L. i believe Hahn has turbo kits for it. cheaper, and MUCH less headache.
i checked out there site . but i think hahn said thier turbo should be out this year . which would be awesome!
Old 05-01-2009, 10:07 AM

on a side note of the ss bumpers . has anyone heard about any bodykits coming out that are good looking? not like the two that are out . those things are just ugly
Old 05-01-2009, 12:11 PM

i wouldn't expect a lot by way of body kits for HHRs. not exactly a big "tuner" market with these. Cobalts, sure. but most companies will most likely be thinking along the lines of "the two cars are the same, people who want performance and killer looks and more aftermarket options than you can shake a stick at, will buy a Cobalt"
Old 05-01-2009, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by GrotesqueFetus6
i have thought about just a turbo for my 2.2 . but id still want a 5 speed with that turbo

do you think it would be hard to put in just a 5 speed?
cuz an auto with a turbo would be kinda lame in my point
You absolutely can do a 5-speed swap but you will still need to spend in the neighborhood of 2k or so to purchase the trans, the clutch (and why not get a spec stage clutch and light flywheel while you have it apart? Especially if you plan on throwing a few bucks into your 2.2... ) and all the hardware like the clutch pedal, slave and master cylinders and all the hydraulic misc lines linkages and fittings...

If you read through alot of the posts on this forum you'll see that the people with a stock HHR SS/ Auto are plenty happy...and thats with about 200-210 whp. You can easily see those numbers with a Hahn 2.2 turbo kit (when it comes out) Otherwise you can make the cobalt 22 kit work but you're going to need to throw some major thought into it on routing everything and making it fit... just an FYI

Keep us posted on what you do though!

PS. I'm glad you liked my post. I was in a mood. I hoped it didnt come off offensive
Old 05-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Founding Member

OK my 2¢.....Don't even think about this, although I smile every time I see this thread revived. This is not the seventies. It's too costly. Buy an SS.