2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Gotta love the car, BUT (first ever post)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 10:51 AM

Gotta love the car, BUT (first ever post)

I am a new member, Just went through my 2nd tank of fuel in my 2008 black 5 speed SS, it has posi, I got it with 2300 miles used, from the dealer and had them install the stage 1 kit before I took it. I have read the manual cover to cover 5 times. I know don't tell me, push the trac button for 10 seconds- disable esc, push it twice within 5 seconds for comp mode, put it on the chip dump it, row it and don't lift. Gotta say hear "it torque steers left right right left really bad 95% of the time". My BBC 96" w.b. Opel Gt (9:02 148mph) is easier to drive. I can't imagine me going to the dealer and taking the service manager for a demonstration drive is going to help me with my warrantee. I read one guy say it took him 17000 miles to get accustomed to it. If thats it I need to go shopping again. Whats the deal, I know I am not dreaming this. Do you guys, when you drive it like you stole it, experiance this problem or does my car have a problem. I know its been talked about before and I hate to beat a dead horse but anybody got the answer???? Or a good dealer on Long Island to recommend?? Any of you guys go to Captree Sunday mornings????
Thanks
ED
Old 02-21-2010, 12:26 PM

Not sure what you want to learn. Judging from your comments this is either your first FWD or first powerful FWD. A FWD with near 300 HP will torque steer not much way around it.

The SS is better than most but depending on the road conditions and traction you will get a pull as each tire fights for traction. Over time you learn how to deal with is and it is not a big deal . You learn to keep a grip on the wheel under hard acceleration.

In most of the reviews the SS is complimented for better torque steer control than many high power FWD.

Granted torque steer is not fun but it is the nature of the beast. If you don't want it you need to get a Camaro.

I agree a BBC Opel GT would be easier to drive since it is RWD.

Ther is nothing wrong with your car as FWD has done this for years and in the past to a much worse degree. Today computer controls with the comp mode off help and even axle lenghts also help.

A wise drive should adapt to this is a short time. It is not that difficult if you have any kind of driving skills. Judging from your drag car you should adapt fine. It is just a different kind of car and needs to be treated as such.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:43 PM

+1 to what Hyper says. The HHR actually controls torque steer better than any other FWD car I have owned, but when you have this much power and FWD, it will torque steer some. You will get used to it.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:32 PM

Take a dip in an SRT4 and give us your opinion of the HHR again.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:03 PM

.. and just for grins and giggles check your tire pressures.......you have a posi, if you have a tire flexing differently from the other the results will be unpredictable.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:07 PM

What you are experiencing is not torque steer. It is the tires losing traction. Torque steer will pull to one side only. It is tough to control a car that is spinning the tires you are trying to steer with. Take your time, be careful and get used to it.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:37 PM

My opinion of the torque steer is that it is much worse if you press and hold the button to disable the ESC alltogether. If you just put it in the Comp mode and let it do it's work it seems better to me. When I first got it I think I was trying to correct the torque steering too much myself... but if you relax and don't crank the wheel back/forth as much the system handles that 290HP pretty well I would say. The better the tires and pavement, obviously there is less issue with this.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by mistermike
Take a dip in an SRT4 and give us your opinion of the HHR again.
Exactly; or you may never want to drive a FWD car again...

After you've changed your pants.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Motorh-Ed
My BBC 96" w.b. Opel Gt (9:02 148mph) is easier to drive.
Then you understand how spinning tires work.......now imagine those spinning tires connected to your steering wheel. Of course 'steering' 10.5" to 15" wide tires would not be fun when trying to parallel park on a busy street.

I wouldn't want my '78 vette to be front wheel drive.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:32 PM

Try stomping the gas at 60 and let it shift up to 100mph, now thats torque steer, anything under 60 its spinning tires... if its a huge problem for you TTR sells a set of traction bars for the cobalts that will fit the SS.

Quick Reply: Gotta love the car, BUT (first ever post)